I CANT DO THIS ANYMORE!!!! | ExpatWoman.com

I CANT DO THIS ANYMORE!!!!

Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 15:38

Please someone help!!! My 8 month old has severe nappy rash to the point it is bleeding. i have tried every cream the pharmacist has, i change her as soon as she poos (or every hour if she hasnt). ive let her be nappy free for as long as i can. she is screaming, i am crying. she cant sleep she is in so much pain. i had her at the peaditrician yesterday.... he said "one cream is as good as the next, it'll run its course"

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. please help me :-(

Latest post on 07 December 2011 - 12:35
I'm so pleased she's on the mend GEA. :)
Latest post on 07 December 2011 - 12:34
... Cloth nappies may help, but only if the rash is caused by an allergy to her disposables. if you think it is bacterial/fungal I wold be tempted to stick with disposables for now [b'>as otherwise you risk re-contaminating everytime you re-use the old nappy and they will not keep the area as dry.[/b'> good luck. YIKES!! As a cloth nappy advocate from way back :D , I beg to differ!!!!!! Cloth nappies stored correctly, washed in the machine and dried in the sun are 100% hygienic for repeat use. Cloth nappies breathe better than disposables, keeping the skin drier and cooler. The only exception to the 'drier' claim would be a terry square used without a liner and left on once soiled.
Latest post on 07 December 2011 - 09:39
Great to hear!
Latest post on 07 December 2011 - 08:57
Thankyou so much everyone for your advice. DD still has diahorrea and had her at a different docs yesterday. he looked at the rash and immediately looked shocked "yes thats very bad". He prescribed Panderm. He recomended no solids until diahorrea clears with the exception of banana. I hardly had her in a nappy the last few days and been applying the Panderm and vaseline as a barrier cream. been changing nappies as soon as she does the loo when she is wearing one and thankfully today it has turned from bright red to dark pink so must be on the mend! Really, thanks for all the advice and well wished for my DD. Its been a horrendous time. xx
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 14:51
In short your peditrician has fobbed you off. Only an antifungal cream will treat a fungal infection, only an antibiotic cream will treat a bacterial infection, creams like sudocream will not help either type and are only good for a common nappy rash (not bacterial or fungal). Go back, see another Dr and get the right cream. Change her nappy every half hour or so for the next week, avoid wipes and give her as much nappy off time as you can manage). You can get combined antifungal/antibacterial creams which you must continue to use until the rash is completely gone and often for a full course of 2 weeks or so to make sure nothing resistant is left. Cloth nappies may help, but only if the rash is caused by an allergy to her disposables. if you think it is bacterial/fungal I wold be tempted to stick with disposables for now as otherwise you risk re-contaminating everytime you re-use the old nappy and they will not keep the area as dry. good luck.
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 12:41
I know you have a lot of advice on here. Just thought I'd toss a couple of things out there. Green-ish has some fantastic tips. I would start by changing nappies. I would either use a cloth or more natural disposable like Moltex or something similar. We use cloth during the day but Moltex at night and get them at LuLu's. Organics has them also. Secondly, if you think that it is not a thrush rash I would use breastmilk. It is FANTASTIC for clearing up non-thrush nappy rash. I have never seen anything work as well. If you are not nursing is there someone that you know who is? Maybe you can get expressed milk from a friend? I would be willing to drop over a bag to you if it meant that it would help you out. I would look at baby's diet and also yours (if you are breastfeeding). Has anything changed in the last couple of months? As much nappy free as possible. Maybe try a bit of Elimination Communication - EC- (www.bornready.co.uk or www.diaperfreebaby.com) for a little while and keep her out of nappies totally for a bit (or as much as possible). We've done EC with our daughter since birth and it is great for keeping her bum rash free. Totally agree with the no baths or no wipes with chemicals comments. I would use just a bit of cotton wool and some room temp water, chamomile and a drop of grapefruitseed oil. Grapefruitseed oil is fantastic if it is a thrush infection and will clear it up fairly quickly. Hope that helps. I feel for you and your little bubs. I hope it gets cleared up soon. xx
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 05:44
In short according to my own experiences and all the threads below there are: bacterial infections viral infections fungal infections allergies that are causes of nappy rash, therefore different creams according to the diagnosis. My son like some posters below reported, was allergic to his nappies. He was also allergic to apple, even if I ate apple it affected him and had the dreaded rota virus at some point. A paed gave me the tip to dust his bum with maizena/corn starch after application of the ointment. Both lactose intolerance as well as fungal or thrush infections can cause green watery explosive stools.
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 05:38
Your poor little poppet. Poor you too. Here's my two cents worth... - No baths until the rash is clear. Bathing is not necessary and at this point you don't want to do anything that causes either of you more stress. As parents of eczema-prone children know, water can be the skin's worst enemy when it's inflamed. Just do a 'spot clean' around her face, neck, hands, underarms etc. - Continue with as much nappy-free time as possible. - Do not use any commercial wipes. Cotton wool or cotton cloths/muslins soaked in tepid water or cooled chamomile tea. (I swear by chamomile, but in rare cases skin that's really inflamed could be aggravated by it. If she has ever had chamomile tea, she'll most likely be fine with it as a wash.) - Would you consider cloth nappies? Disposable are FULL of horrible nasties that are bad for sensitive skin. There might be someone here who has some they are no longer using. I've got dozens but it would take a while for them to get to you from Aus. ;) Perhaps do try another brand of nappies. Sometimes illness causes the sensitive skin which then reacts further with the particular nappies you're using and that sensitivity may become permanent. Organics sells some relatively 'safe' disposables. - Be very careful about using a barrier cream. If there's a fungal infection present, you risk making it worse. - Keep her really well hydrated. I'm sure you're doing that anyway because of the diarrhoea and her skin needs hydration too to heal. - if she's eating anything, keep it bland...nothing with too much fibre, nothing acidic, none of the usual allergen suspects (strawberries, eggs, citrus, fish, peanut products etc), no 'gassy' foods (broccoli, cabbage, chick peas etc). Your best bets will be white bread/toast, white rice, a little natural yoghurt, grated or pureed apple. - If you're breastfeeding, best you avoid those same foods too. :) If she's on formula, a little diluted apple juice may tempt her to drink more fluids...always after she's had her formula feed. I hope your precious little girl is feeling much better soon. <em>edited by Green-ish on 06/12/2011</em>
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 04:45
I suggest as soon as you see the skin is getting better especially when using sudocream, stop applying the cream but apply Vitamin E cream. to keep it moist and heal. Imagine this, the skin is healing but by putting more sudocream it ended up drying more and make it peels more and sore. this is what my Chemist in Australia told me . I use the medication cream first and then when it gets better, apply vitamin E cream. My DH has a bad esczma (sp?) on bad days, i apply Evening Primrose oil on it. I'd break open the capsule and just use the oil inside it. He uses sudocream when one of his mate's suggest. it worsened. Good luck. xx edited by moonindxb on 06/12/2011 <em>edited by moonindxb on 06/12/2011</em>
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 00:37
At my experience, I did all waht you did of (water washing, drying off for as long as possible) too much sudocream and a bit of Alfacort cream on it... it helps a lot in 2days... I know that you dont want to dry a lot and u should give each treat at least few days to act... good luck and all the hugs for the LO, had tears in eyes thinking of how she might be crying :(
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 23:16
GEA1984 are you breastfeeding? I had a similar problem with one of my kids and it turned out I was eating too much sugar. I hadn't been able to curb my pregnancy chocolate cravings. Apparently it happens often, and caused an horrendous rash that was bleeding on my DD. I felt so bad when I realised it was because of my indulgence. Good news was it stopped as soon as I did - well it took a week or so to heal. The only other tips I have is to wash DD's private area with a weak cold tea solution and perhaps get another Pead - your guy sounds way too offhand. All the best.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 23:15
Hmm .... I dont know ... I haven't experienced this with my elder one. I have no clue what to do. The areas between his thighs seem to be dry and healing. If it doesnt get better soon, I would take a second opinion. Thanks janesul for your advice. <em>edited by hiccup on 05/12/2011</em>
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 22:51
It was prescribed by my pead. And on the cover it does say that it "heals" nappy rash. Not sure! There are other far better choices, re ask your pead or change Drs!
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 22:51
Please don't use Sudocrem on broken skin. It's fine as a barrier but it's not a healing cream. Better to use nothing at all than that. Agree Janesul, sudocream just dries out skin.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 22:49
It's terrible when little ones are in pain and suffering. There is no need to bath your little ones when they have such bad nappy rash, a quick top and tail avoiding the sore area will be much easier all round. Please take your little one to another doctor in the morning for a second opinion, any Dr who says all the creams are the same needs changing IMHO. There are some good Docs at Motor City and Festival city clinic, a good GP or family practitioner will be fine, you do not need a pead if you can't get one. It's really important the right cream is applied subject to diagnosis. Your Little one may need an Antibiotic, anti fungal or emollient cream or other, your Dr will be able to decide which cream is correct for the "SEEN" diagnosis. Good luck.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 22:46
Well, my experience with my 3 is that it gives them an enormous amount of pain when the area is already sore so as a mum I would say don't use it. But if your paed is rec'ing it............. If he's still crying at bathtime then his bottom is still sore. I would use baby powder if that's all I had rather than a wet barrier cream.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 22:43
It was prescribed by my pead. And on the cover it does say that it "heals" nappy rash. Not sure!
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 22:40
Please don't use Sudocrem on broken skin. It's fine as a barrier but it's not a healing cream. Better to use nothing at all than that.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 22:38
Thankyou everyone. We were at the Peaditrician in the ranches yesterday. Im going to try the cream Janesul gave me and hope it clears it up. if it hasnt in a few days (or as long as my nerves can stand) im going back up to the dr to get a second opinion. There were more tears (hers and mine) when i went to bath her tonight and as soon as the water touched the area she screamed. it really is soul destroying to see her in such pain, she is usually such a happy wee soul. :-( My DS is going through the exact same thing as your DD. He had diahorrea for 5 days and it was rotavirus (he has been vaccinated for this too). The diahorrea has settled, but it left him with bad nappy rash. It has healed to a great extent (with sudocream and changing the nappy as soon as its wet) but he still cries bitterly everytime I give him a bath :( .... He used to love his bath time. I hope your DD feels better soon. Hate to see the LOs in so much pain :( <em>edited by hiccup on 05/12/2011</em>
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 21:54
Can vouch for metanium cream. We used it in the hospital for rashes from severe diarrhoea, it's excellent. Good luck with your wee one.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 21:09
Thankyou everyone. We were at the Peaditrician in the ranches yesterday. Im going to try the cream Janesul gave me and hope it clears it up. if it hasnt in a few days (or as long as my nerves can stand) im going back up to the dr to get a second opinion. There were more tears (hers and mine) when i went to bath her tonight and as soon as the water touched the area she screamed. it really is soul destroying to see her in such pain, she is usually such a happy wee soul. :-(
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 20:32
DS had an awful rash a couple of months ago and as others have said, it turned out to be fungal. We were trying all sorts of nappy rash creams and it just kept getting worse and spreading, to the point where whole patches were blistered and weeping. It was finally diagnosed as fungal and we used Daktarin cream on it. It took a good few days to go completely but the cream seemed to help his discomfort pretty quickly. We saw Dr Gupta at the Ranches if that's anywhere near you and he diagnosed it as soon as he saw the rash. Hope you get it sorted, it's horrendous when they're in so much pain :(.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 20:24
My DD had the same. We would wash with just water, and pat dry. Then apply Extra Virgin olive oil to the area and use a cotton napkin (like old fashioned ones for nose) between bottom and nappy. That always helped in our case. Hope she feels better soon and you too. DON'T pat dry - hairdryer in the cold setting, or warm, from far away, BE EXTRA CAREFUL and it does work. The less you touch it the better. As you said we were extra careful. Absolutely right, had never thought of a hairdryer.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 20:03
My DD had the same. We would wash with just water, and pat dry. Then apply Extra Virgin olive oil to the area and use a cotton napkin (like old fashioned ones for nose) between bottom and nappy. That always helped in our case. Hope she feels better soon and you too. DON'T pat dry - hairdryer in the cold setting, or warm, from far away, BE EXTRA CAREFUL and it does work. The less you touch it the better.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 19:22
My DD had the same. We would wash with just water, and pat dry. Then apply Extra Virgin olive oil to the area and use a cotton napkin (like old fashioned ones for nose) between bottom and nappy. That always helped in our case. Hope she feels better soon and you too.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 19:12
Good old Jane - Metanium is the best ever for the worst nappy rash. It's thick and bonds to the skin - it's like a tube of mustard but boy does it work! Hope you can meet up and get it and fingers crossed in a day or 2 you will be looking at a much better little bottom. It might be worth asking Boots over there to see if they stock it - if they don't the one at Ibn Battuta are really good at noting down products that people would like to have and they try to get them stocked. it really is a magic cream.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 19:12
I would take a second opinion from other doctor, if I were you. Meanwhile, make bath or wipe her with chamomile water (chamomile diluted in the water), lots of nappy free time (or no nappy for few days at all, just at night may be, so you don't go insane). May be change nappies for Pampers premium (the one with cotton) nappy rash cream (other posters have already recommended. we normally use pure Calendula cream, but it's not available here, we get it from Iran) Also as HAK said, make sure she doesn't eat fruits & veggies that are acidic. Hope LO will get better soon
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 18:17
I second plain old vaseline too. I had the same with my poor DD until Dr Wasim told me this! Think of the vaseline as a bandage and cover the affected areas liberally so no urine gets to them. Within two days it should be gone. If it isn't you must see a doctor as it might be infected.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 17:57
Have you tried plain old vaseline..................best barrier cream ever ;)
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 17:33
My son had bad nappy rash when he had a bout of gastro at 16 months. He would scream when we tried the Mustela cream, Sudocrem (which my dr highlyreco'ed) or Lansinoh (which IMHO is the gentlest of all). What worked was pure, virgin coconut oil which my mom had been reco'ing but I'd been ignoring. I'd slather a thinck layer - he would not scream - and that would form a barrier. I still use it.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY