Do you tip your hairdresser and how much? | ExpatWoman.com

Do you tip your hairdresser and how much?

Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 16:01

Being reasonably new to Dubai I am still "single" where hairdressers are concerned...I just haven't found "The One" yet. Anyway, well overdue for a cut and colour I went to a new place today and she was fantastic.

She took a lot of care, a lot of time and great consultation. I felt she really listened to me and as a result I walked out with a colour that I think is "just right" - something that will hopefully grow out gradually so my greys aren't so obvious and a cut that appears to be just what I wanted. It took 3 1/2 hours though - now I'm not saying that time was wasted, they were efficient - but by the time it was done, I was in a rush to collect the kids from school and ran out without leaving a tip!

I don't even know if a tip is expected in this case, but given that she did such a good job, now that I've had time to think, I probably should have left one.

Do you tip your hairdresser? If so, how much? In case it's relevant, it all (foils, norishing treatment, cut, blow-dry, straighten) came to AED 675.

All advice appreciated.

Latest post on 07 December 2011 - 14:23
When ppl on here say they tip 15%, do they mean for a color/cut that costs around Dh900 -Dh1,000? Or are they talking about a Karama special at Dh40? Neither? I wouldn't spend 1k on my hair, but I wouldn't trust a 40dhs cut either. I figure if I could afford to spend 1k dhs on my hair I can afford to tip 15% or that. If I can't afford the tip then I probably can't afford the service. That being said tip is reflective of service/quality/experience and i wouldn't hesitate to tip less if I was not pleased with the service.
Latest post on 07 December 2011 - 13:22
i tip mine between roughly 50-75 dhs however saying that the last time was a horrific hair do so am currently looking for a better hair dresser if any one can recommend a good 1 (a woman) would be appreciated :) if you're blonde, i highly recommend Jardine from Jen's Hair Studio on SZR. She's a lovely British girl and does exactly what YOU want, not what she thinks would be better. I've never been disappointed and have been going to her for over 2 years now. i am blonde :) so will definately make my next appointment with her :) Thankkksss xx
Latest post on 07 December 2011 - 09:52
I tip when the person is clearly an assistant but not when it is a senior stylist or established hairdresser. I don't tip a percentage of the bill either as I normally pick up products too. On average I will leave 20-40 dhs to an assistant. I was surprised reading this earlier http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip_(gratuity) to see how the custom varies between countries. The people who are most deserving of gratuity are not getting any, they are the nurses of this world and those caring for the elderly.
Latest post on 07 December 2011 - 09:25
I'm from the Netherlands and would pay a maximum of 100,- euro for full head of foils, cut and blowdry. I still miss my hairdresser in Rotterdam. Later I moved to London and it was a bit more expensive but not much. True the salon I went to wasn't in central London, but they always did a great job! quote=STILLadviceseeker'>Am I the only one who is astounded by the prices you ladies pay? 1000,- aed.... Pfft. I am not saying these hairdressers don't do a good job although we know that plenty of them don't, but it just seems like so much money. So much more expensive then backhome. For the full works I would tip 50aed at the most. Regardless of how much the total bill was. Feeling really cheap now ;) Where is back home for you? I don't think the prices here are more expensive than back home (which I would be referring to oz) in an equivalent salon. I think that possibly prices are less if you're not in the city or something.... Also the pound is weak vs the AED at the moment so maybe when converting back it seems high now?
Latest post on 07 December 2011 - 09:22
generally about 10% like I do in restaurants etc, but if I do less one day then I try to do more the next time, depends how rich I am feeling !!!
Latest post on 07 December 2011 - 09:06
Am I the only one who is astounded by the prices you ladies pay? 1000,- aed.... Pfft. I am not saying these hairdressers don't do a good job although we know that plenty of them don't, but it just seems like so much money. So much more expensive then backhome. For the full works I would tip 50aed at the most. Regardless of how much the total bill was. Feeling really cheap now ;) Where is back home for you? I don't think the prices here are more expensive than back home (which I would be referring to oz) in an equivalent salon. I think that possibly prices are less if you're not in the city or something.... Also the pound is weak vs the AED at the moment so maybe when converting back it seems high now?
Latest post on 07 December 2011 - 08:39
i tip mine between roughly 50-75 dhs however saying that the last time was a horrific hair do so am currently looking for a better hair dresser if any one can recommend a good 1 (a woman) would be appreciated :) if you're blonde, i highly recommend Jardine from Jen's Hair Studio on SZR. She's a lovely British girl and does exactly what YOU want, not what she thinks would be better. I've never been disappointed and have been going to her for over 2 years now.
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 22:40
I'm such a sucker, it seems. Twenty percent is standard in the U.S., so that's what I tip here, like somehow they know that and will think I'm cheap if I tip less! lol I will reduce it to 10% after reading this...
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 18:49
i tip mine between roughly 50-75 dhs however saying that the last time was a horrific hair do so am currently looking for a better hair dresser if any one can recommend a good 1 (a woman) would be appreciated :)
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 17:52
i pay between 500 and 600 each time (full head highlights for long hair and rough dry - i dont get it cut or blow dryed coz i cover my hair so pretty pointless :)) so i give her 50 which i think is not bad. Me too.
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 17:52
Am I the only one who is astounded by the prices you ladies pay? 1000,- aed.... Pfft. I am not saying these hairdressers don't do a good job although we know that plenty of them don't, but it just seems like so much money. So much more expensive then backhome. For the full works I would tip 50aed at the most. Regardless of how much the total bill was. Feeling really cheap now ;) No, not cheap at all. I have to say though, that I could not get a color/cut in London last year any cheaper than here, so average price is Dh750 but I have been charged upto Dh1,000 and it was a carp cut too....so there you go! sounds a bit fishy to me! It wasn't a mullet, was it?:-P
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 16:02
i pay between 500 and 600 each time (full head highlights for long hair and rough dry - i dont get it cut or blow dryed coz i cover my hair so pretty pointless :)) so i give her 50 which i think is not bad.
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 13:41
Am I the only one who is astounded by the prices you ladies pay? 1000,- aed.... Pfft. I am not saying these hairdressers don't do a good job although we know that plenty of them don't, but it just seems like so much money. So much more expensive then backhome. For the full works I would tip 50aed at the most. Regardless of how much the total bill was. Feeling really cheap now ;) It`s a complete rip-off. But i can`t find here anything cheaper to do 2 colors highlights+ lowlights for a long hair. Out of maybe 20 times i had 1000DHS bill (sh*t that`s so much money) i was really happy with the results 3 or 4 times, the rest were just average. Waste of money, makes me really consider going short next time.
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 13:28
I always tip about 10% and extra for the wash but sometimes wonder should I tip the stylist? I personally know of 3 stylists who earn over 25,000 per month and several that earn between 20 - 25,000 - without tips on commision based salaries. As that is more than I earn and I have already paid a lot for their services, which they get a big cut of, I wonder should I give them more. I always do but still I wonder about it.
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 13:27
Am I the only one who is astounded by the prices you ladies pay? 1000,- aed.... Pfft. I am not saying these hairdressers don't do a good job although we know that plenty of them don't, but it just seems like so much money. So much more expensive then backhome. For the full works I would tip 50aed at the most. Regardless of how much the total bill was. Feeling really cheap now ;) No, not cheap at all. I have to say though, that I could not get a color/cut in London last year any cheaper than here, so average price is Dh750 but I have been charged upto Dh1,000 and it was a carp cut too....so there you go!
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 13:22
Am I the only one who is astounded by the prices you ladies pay? 1000,- aed.... Pfft. I am not saying these hairdressers don't do a good job although we know that plenty of them don't, but it just seems like so much money. So much more expensive then backhome. For the full works I would tip 50aed at the most. Regardless of how much the total bill was. Feeling really cheap now ;)
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 13:03
When ppl on here say they tip 15%, do they mean for a color/cut that costs around Dh900 -Dh1,000? Or are they talking about a Karama special at Dh40? I tip 50-70 DHS max, i believe it`s a very good tip regardless of the price. Just once i gave a stylist 150 (bill was 1000) but she was very sweet, pregnant, worked on my hair for 4 hours and did amazing job.
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 12:38
When ppl on here say they tip 15%, do they mean for a color/cut that costs around Dh900 -Dh1,000? Or are they talking about a Karama special at Dh40?
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 12:35
I got my girls hair done and tipped 15% as they were very patient and good with the kids, and it was not a place that specializes in kids cuts. It was the norm to tip in Canada, so I guess I just carried it over.
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 12:31
I go to one of the *very* expensive places and I dont tip. I know the girls are all paid well, but I may bring a gift or something next time as I really like my hairdresser :)
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 12:16
Dh 50 for the stylist/colorist Dh 20 for the wash lady
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 12:11
I always tip my hairdresser 10-15%, but sometimes dont tip the girls at Tips & Toes for Mani/Pedi coz they have been increasing their rates and lowering the quality - Tito Polishes instead of Essie etc, which really bothers me. Only go there coz its v convinient for me.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 21:01
By the way, as a result of this thread, a couple of mates have asked me offline who the hairdresser was - it was Janice at Hairworks, next to The Lime Tree Cafe at Ibn Battuta. And if you mention that you got her recommendation from this forum (as I did) they give you a discount.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 20:43
I usually tip about 10%.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 19:25
10%
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 19:00
Hmmm, ok. Looks like I've definitely short changed her then - she's not the owner, I'm pretty sure. Will either go back and tip in the next couple of days or do double next time with an apology for racing out today. Thanks everyone.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 18:56
My hairdresser gets a percentage from Each haircut she does .....so I tip the person who gives me the head massage of the person who looks after me with drinks etc
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 18:48
Went for haircut today and tipped the hairdresser 10% of the value
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 18:33
Same as below, 50 dhs to hairdresser and 10 dhs to hair washer. But I always feel uncomfortable with tipping the hairdresser with the feeling is it the done thing and is it enough?! Back home it was not the norm to tip the hairdresser /owner but definitely tip the assistant. i used to tip my hairdresser at home too but all my friends told me i shouldn't have. lol
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 18:32
Same as below, 50 dhs to hairdresser and 10 dhs to hair washer. But I always feel uncomfortable with tipping the hairdresser with the feeling is it the done thing and is it enough?! Back home it was not the norm to tip the hairdresser /owner but definitely tip the assistant.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY