Potty training a 2 year old boy | ExpatWoman.com

Potty training a 2 year old boy

Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 22:34

Hi

Can someone please give me some tips here

The western toliet we have is too high for him

So tried making him stand on the stool and he does not like it

He is able to tell me he is doing his pee-pee but when i take him tot the bathroom he starts moaning (not crying)

He does not like the potty seat and without the seat he is sinking low as the seat is an adult one

really running out of ideas here

any tips from experienced mums, most welcome

thks

Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 21:13
For the OP, I bought my 18-month old a Mothercare toilet seat which fits on top of the normal seat. Before that I'd got him a couple of potty books for boys which he really likes (he's very into books and has learnt words like please from a manners book I got him). We now keep the potty books in the loo and when I make him sit on the potty I or his nanny read them to him. I know it is early but I am not forcing it and we just try to put him on his potty seat every time we can and thus far it's been OK.
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 08:56
Sorry to hijack but ... I have a 3 year old boy who is fully potty trained - we waited until he was almost 3 incidentally and he got it pretty fast. BUT we had an incident in a mall toilet where the automatic flush went off while he was sitting there and it frightened the life out of him. Now he will ONLY use the potty unless its for number ones, in which case he has to stand. Number 2's he will only do at home and in the potty. Any tips for how to address this fear? DH says we should just throw out the potty but he gets hysterical every time I try to get him to use the toilet.
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 08:25
if he doesn't like the idea of using the loo (my daughter was trained using the toilet, rather than a potty), then back off and leave it for 6 months or so. Believe me, by 3.5, they're all pretty much trained, regardless of when you start - in fact, it would seem that the earlier you start, the longer it takes! That was certainly true for my daughter - I started disastrously at 25 months (having listened to my MiL say how all 4 of hers were trained by 21 months), had to back off and started again - prematurely, again - at 28 months and the process ended up taking 14 months... she knew exactly what to do and where, but was simply stubborn and too young... the more I pushed it, the more she'd dig in. You know your child best. From what of seen of my friends' experiences, the more passive and malleable your child, the more likely you are to succeed in early training (at 2 years old). If your child knows its own mind, then your best bet is to wait until the child actually asks (this does happen!). I've got a friend who basically didn't train her son - one day, when he was nearly 3, he came up to her and told her that he'd done a poo in the potty (she kept one in their living room) and from that day on, he did everything in the potty and only had one accident. MY haste, on the other hand, meant that I was mopping the floor 4-10 times a day and scraping poo out of pants for 10 months. Your choice!
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 07:17
My kids used a 'potty bench' by Boon. http://www.booninc.com/products/PottyBench Not sure if Just Kidding still stocks them. Mine are big kids so...my son was physically uncomfortable on a regular potty or one that fits on the big toilet. The Boon potty cost a bit, but it's been used by all three children so has paid for itself many times over with easy toilet training. I do agree with Jane...he's very little. Many children are just not ready until they are older. If you really want to potty train now, persevere. If it's causing stress for both of you, maybe wait a few months and try again.
Latest post on 06 December 2011 - 00:41
I bought the potty but he didnt like at the begining (maybe he thought it doesnt look like the grown ups) so i bought the padded one that u put on the grown ups toilete with two handles and he liked that more, now he alternates between both... i gave him enough time to preactice at home (4months) and now we go out without the diaper any more, still have to remove the bedtime one!! good luck :D
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 22:52
I trained my son at 22 months, he just used a potty. When he first started I put the potty in the living area so that it was close and also in sight as a reminder, once he was ok with that I moved it to the bathroom. Good luck!
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 22:39
how old is he reva? Maybe he's just too young. I wouldn't push it yet to be honest if he is showing signs of resistance. Maybe get an actual potty to start with so the big toilet isn't so frightening.
Latest post on 05 December 2011 - 22:36
we had a padded loo seat that sat on top of the grown up one so the hole wasn't so big...

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY