To all washing machine experts - help please | ExpatWoman.com

To all washing machine experts - help please

Latest post on 08 December 2011 - 21:31
At the end of the day, people will do what they want to do, but (IMHO) I think it is better to take advice from people who are experienced in these matters. <em>edited by amelia on 08/12/2011</em>
Latest post on 08 December 2011 - 21:05
I have always used bleach on our whites on many machines in many countries and for many years with no issues.
Latest post on 08 December 2011 - 21:01
At Spinneys you can buy either a Waitrose brand washing machine descaler or one by Dr B something (can't remember, but they make other laundry products). I use the Dr B one. You run it on hot and it cleans the washing machine really well.
Latest post on 08 December 2011 - 20:52
Bleach can potentially damage any rubber seals within the washing machine, so it's safer not to use it. Nor should dishwasher tablets be used as they have bleach in them. Better to use Calgon or other recommended products for the breakdown of residual deposits. Oil on clothes is a sign that the machine requires repair. DH was in the business for 30 years, both as an employee and then for 25 years with his own successful business. <em>edited by amelia on 08/12/2011</em>
Latest post on 08 December 2011 - 19:43
DH says he worked with an engineer who had done the job for 35 years and always advised the use of diluted bleach.
Latest post on 08 December 2011 - 19:26
Really? do you mind if I ask why you can't use bleach? I only ask because when I bought my LG washing machine in the UK, within the first year I got those marks on my clothes, along with these other grey powdery marks only noticeable on my whites. So when I googled it & went on some plumbing forums, I read it was ok to do that, to help clear the build-up. I have to say, my washing machine was ok after that. Was it a flukey then do you think? How about dishwasher tablets? are they ok to use? :)
Latest post on 08 December 2011 - 19:17
DH worked for British Gas white goods division and was always taught a little diluted bleach! Will tell him when he gets back! ;)
Latest post on 08 December 2011 - 19:14
You should never use bleach in a washing machine. I agree that oil marks on clothes are usually a sign that the main bearings are faulty. If this is the case there is really no option but to have them, or the machine itself, replaced If the bearings do need replacing the machine will usually become progressively noisy when it is spinning. (I do know a bit about faults, as sale and repair of washing machines and all domestic appliances was our business in the UK. But not in Dubai !! ) <em>edited by amelia on 08/12/2011</em>
Latest post on 08 December 2011 - 16:46
Ladies...you are great...will try and report back...
Latest post on 08 December 2011 - 16:35
Coco pops is right it may be that. I use a cap of bleach diluted with a jug of water on the hottest setting every 6 months but if the stains are more like grease/oil then it will be bearing grease. You will know because detergent build up comes out but oil doesn't.
Latest post on 08 December 2011 - 16:30
oh I used to get this with my washing machine....it needs a clean, as it's the build up from detergents and fabric conditioners. Just stick 1/2 dishwasher tablets ( you could add some bleach too but that's optional) in the drum and run the machine empty on a cotton wash at the highest temperature. I'd do this a couple of times initially then once a month to maintain. Hope this helps...if it doesn't you may need to call someone out. :)
Latest post on 08 December 2011 - 16:26
Oil spots are tell tale signs of the rear bearings failing. They are sealed in and consist of metal ball bearings and oil and if the seal starts to leak then the oil enters the tub and stains clothes. They can be replaced but may cost a bit as its quite a big job.
Latest post on 08 December 2011 - 16:23
Not very...may be a couple of years....could it be becoz of the hot water?
Latest post on 08 December 2011 - 16:20
Is the machine a few years old?
Latest post on 08 December 2011 - 16:17
Sorry for hijacking this thread but I see that original concern has been answered so I will ask my question: Ladies, what am I doing wrong with my washing machine as recently the clothes are coming out with stains (small dots) like oil splashes? Any idea?
Latest post on 08 December 2011 - 14:07
Have you tried unplugging for a minute?some reset when you do this.
Latest post on 08 December 2011 - 13:18
Oh dear, I am not quite sure about the child lock but will definitly check this out. Thanks for the info.
Latest post on 08 December 2011 - 12:05
If you do an internet search for the local distributor of your washing machine brand, they will be able to put you onto the authorised repairer. I always found it ended up being quicker and cheaper to go to the guys who actually knew what they are doing! They will come (probably for a call-out fee) and give an immediate quote on repairs...and tell you how to operate the child lock. ;)
Latest post on 08 December 2011 - 11:49
Hi ladies, here is a boring subject. My LO loves to play with each buttons of the washing machine. Now when I turn it on, it gets stucked spining. Are there any expert on this matter? I have bought 3 years ago, is it worth buying another one instead?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY