Are children entertained too much ? | ExpatWoman.com

Are children entertained too much ?

Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 22:22
I think this thread is judgemental and unfair. It's like someone ask for a restaurant recommendation and get an answer -My mum managed to cook for a family of 7 blah blah blah... Or recommendation for a maid and get an answer like this -I had a full time job, studied and 3 kids and I manged blah blah blah lol and aren't they all ? poor young girl asks for advice getting her 17 year old BF a gift - she suggests a guitar only to have a load of criticism that it's too lavish a gift !! "when i was 17 i got my BF a blah blah.......show me a thread here that sadly doesn't attract judgement and opinion... that's why it's a forum i guess (although the powers that be would have us believe it's an "information board" lol).. oh and my favourite - ask where to buy bath bombs and you get told they'll give you some nasty condition of the nether regions LOL !!! edited by Sue62 on 13/12/2011 :\: Yeah I saw some in Marina Mall today that looked hideous!!! Bright blue colours etc - no way am I sitting in that!!!
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 21:25
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/01/the-5-best-toys-of-all-time/all/1 great link posted to me today from a friend...enjoy :)
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 21:13
I don't think it's necessarily judgmental, but I do think we can all use the reminder from time to time that kids need far less "entertaining" than we might feel we need to provide. And as long as we're honest about when we are the ones in need of entertainment, it's all good. But we can dig ourselves a deep hole if we buy into the idea that we should schedule daily outings to keep kids stimulated. They are amazing, creative little minds. Best to keep them exercising those creative muscles!
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 17:19
busy now, but I just wanted to say I LOVE YOU SM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am soooooooooo happy I not the only one who feels this pressure:(
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 16:56
When mine were kids they amused themselves fine during the long summer holidays. We maybe had the odd day out to the zoo, local swimming pool or visits to friends but the rest of the time, they too. played at shops, put up tents in the house on wet days and so on If they ever uttered the B word, they were offered a household chore over and above their normal little jobs. Agree that too many parents think they should be entertaining their kids from dawn until dusk. I certainly remember being pregnant with DS during a hot summer and praying for the toddler fairy to whisk my 3 year old DD away for a while. Thankfully we had grandparents and aunties who were happy to help out :) Oh Joyce your talk about visiting the zoo and making tents in the garden has made me so nostalgic... I wish i was young again :-)
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 16:52
When mine were kids they amused themselves fine during the long summer holidays. We maybe had the odd day out to the zoo, local swimming pool or visits to friends but the rest of the time, they too. played at shops, put up tents in the house on wet days and so on If they ever uttered the B word, they were offered a household chore over and above their normal little jobs. Agree that too many parents think they should be entertaining their kids from dawn until dusk. I certainly remember being pregnant with DS during a hot summer and praying for the toddler fairy to whisk my 3 year old DD away for a while. Thankfully we had grandparents and aunties who were happy to help out :)
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 16:11
I think this thread is judgemental and unfair. It's like someone ask for a restaurant recommendation and get an answer -My mum managed to cook for a family of 7 blah blah blah... Or recommendation for a maid and get an answer like this -I had a full time job, studied and 3 kids and I manged blah blah blah lol and aren't they all ? poor young girl asks for advice getting her 17 year old BF a gift - she suggests a guitar only to have a load of criticism that it's too lavish a gift !! "when i was 17 i got my BF a blah blah.......show me a thread here that sadly doesn't attract judgement and opinion... that's why it's a forum i guess (although the powers that be would have us believe it's an "information board" lol).. oh and my favourite - ask where to buy bath bombs and you get told they'll give you some nasty condition of the nether regions LOL !!! edited by Sue62 on 13/12/2011 So true :).
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 15:51
I think this thread is judgemental and unfair. It's like someone ask for a restaurant recommendation and get an answer -My mum managed to cook for a family of 7 blah blah blah... Or recommendation for a maid and get an answer like this -I had a full time job, studied and 3 kids and I manged blah blah blah lol and aren't they all ? poor young girl asks for advice getting her 17 year old BF a gift - she suggests a guitar only to have a load of criticism that it's too lavish a gift !! "when i was 17 i got my BF a blah blah.......show me a thread here that sadly doesn't attract judgement and opinion... that's why it's a forum i guess (although the powers that be would have us believe it's an "information board" lol).. oh and my favourite - ask where to buy bath bombs and you get told they'll give you some nasty condition of the nether regions LOL !!! <em>edited by Sue62 on 13/12/2011</em>
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 15:44
http://idler.co.uk/idleparent/switch-on-your-childs-imagination/ One interesting article thats worth reading. I must admit I too tend to keep my kids entertained whilst on school break. This hols we will spend a lot of time in the house packing up as leaving for new pastures.
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 14:41
I think this thread is judgemental and unfair. It's like someone ask for a restaurant recommendation and get an answer -My mum managed to cook for a family of 7 blah blah blah... Or recommendation for a maid and get an answer like this -I had a full time job, studied and 3 kids and I manged blah blah blah
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 14:31
The lady that asked for advice is pregnant....I'm sure she would appreciate a few hours to put her feet up. Poor baby, and here she is looking for help with no.1 whilst expecting no.2......I have no sympathy, so we all did it, have a toddler and due with another one. Cherish your children. My Mum had 4 of us. Dad worked away. No live in help, no family help ( Her parents and Dad's parents were not alive) No XBoxes, DVD players, mobile phones, she did not drive and still coped :-) Of course people manage, that's not really the point. We all do what we have to do. The lady on the other thread wanted something to entertain her LO, she doesn't even say for how long. It might very well just be to take the child to Favorite Things/Peekaboo for 1-2 hours. Sometimes it's more difficult with one child if you don't have any children about the same age near by and when they are used to going to nursery they might miss some ''toddler'' time.
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 13:59
We live in an apartment so have no other choice sometimes just to get out and go to a play area or park as it can get a little claustrophobic and boring being stuck inside (especially during summer).
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 13:51
To be fair it's not always about the kids. When mine were younger (say 4 and 1) I loved the excuse to get out of the house and would organise an "outing" every 2nd day so we didn't all go stir crazy. Plus being with other mums would be good if you're having trouble, you get to see that everyone's children are naughty/messy/not toilet trained, whatever the problem is! Now they're older they love being at home and so do I! Balance I say :)
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 13:32
Fully agree spongemonkey! When I was a child we were mainly at home after school / nursery and were too poor to have many fancy toys or stuff. The other day I asked my mom how did she "entertain" us back then as I don't remember ever being bored... She said, that we were just together, getting creative around the house while she was cooking and doing housework, she stressed the importance of personal / silent space all children need to unwind from the day, on weekends just going for a walk or reading books together and having a laugh... and it was nice for all of us. No special entertainment needed back then. Something has changed, or maybe it's just difference in cultures. Oh, forgot to mention we even didn't have a TV back then :)
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 13:27
It's something I see a lot, definitely more here than back home in our sort-of rural hometown in US. There, people still send the children outside with the directive to play, in any weather as long as it's not dangerously cold. Needless to say, it's never dangerously hot there. It's enough that kids are carted around constantly to this lesson and that, music, sports, riding. Add in the idea that they need a weekly playdate with friends...all on top of school, which occupies 9 hours of the day with transportation, plus homework! We decided when we came here to let each child select one activity outside school. Beyond that, our two children have to play, at home, with each other and with us. We ride bikes on the street outside the villa at off times for traffic, swim in the pool, play board games, read a lot of books. We walk to the parks or the beach. They grocery shop with us. And yes, they also sometimes watch cartoons, play games on the computer, or watch a DVD. I'm not too keen on "playdates" here, since most of what I've seen has been either TV or video games for hours on end. I'm often amazed at the things they dream up for themselves when left to it. They make costumes, build forts, plot make-believe storylines. "I'm bored" is answered in our home with math drills or household chores, which surprisingly, children also enjoy when approached with a positive attitude. They can sweep floors, help fold laundry, vacuum, set tables and do all sorts of normal human things. My dd was home ill a couple days this week, and her main complaint was that her brother wasn't here. She even insisted we take his temperature, just in case he also had a fever, because then they could play together. :) And I am that mom now--two children, dh travels and I am here on my own, no family nearby and no household help. Personally, I hate not having our close friends and family nearby. We miss them so much it hurts, the friends and cousins all of them, but even at home, they would simply be doing the same things they are doing here just the two of them, only there's be a whole gaggle of them running around while three moms had a coffee and a laugh. None of my fondest memories are from amusement parks, movie theatres, malls or other "entertainment" venues. The best times have been spent under makeshift tents in the living room, cooking together in the kitchen, or just being all in one place at one time.
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 11:57
I can not wait to have my older one at home for holidays.
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 11:51
The lady that asked for advice is pregnant....I'm sure she would appreciate a few hours to put her feet up. Poor baby, and here she is looking for help with no.1 whilst expecting no.2......I have no sympathy, so we all did it, have a toddler and due with another one. Cherish your children. My Mum had 4 of us. Dad worked away. No live in help, no family help ( Her parents and Dad's parents were not alive) No XBoxes, DVD players, mobile phones, she did not drive and still coped :-)
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 11:44
Yes they are entertained too much and they start to lose the ability to amuse themselves. Mine are off now for a month and other than coming to Dubai we've got a pretty free holiday - no big set plans and I can't wait to spend time with them doing kiddy stuff at home not in a shopping mall.
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 11:24
Can't wait to do very little except spend quality time with sons and enjoy just being with them.
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 10:43
We have *lots* of pajama days in the school hols. Might plan a few outings but I don't get worked up about not having a schedule. My older children have precious little time to themselves during schooltime so it's for them to just hang out and home and mess with their stuff, watch TV, play games. The benefits of boredom are myriad in my opinion. agree - i remember a thread asking what "job" the teen could do in the holidays because the poster didn't want her "wasting" her time on her computer etc... felt sorry for the teen.. they have precious little free time here, i think they should make the most of it however they want to.
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 10:41
SM, I am so in agreement with you. My kids love being home, relaxing, doing their stuff. Of course we go out, but we do not need malls to occupy us.
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 10:39
The lady that asked for advice is pregnant....I'm sure she would appreciate a few hours to put her feet up. Poor baby, and here she is looking for help with no.1 whilst expecting no.2......I have no sympathy, so we all did it, have a toddler and due with another one. Cherish your children.
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 10:37
In total agreement Spongemonkey, just see the worst behaviour in children here out and about (all nationalities it seems).......as far as all these activities are concerned, it is excessive from what I knew at home, here I believe its all about keeping up appearances that life is fantastic but deep down, the mothers have just had enough and happy to get rid of their little darlings for any amount of time possible ;)
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 10:35
The lady that asked for advice is pregnant....I'm sure she would appreciate a few hours to put her feet up.
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 10:32
We have *lots* of pajama days in the school hols. Might plan a few outings but I don't get worked up about not having a schedule. My older children have precious little time to themselves during schooltime so it's for them to just hang out and home and mess with their stuff, watch TV, play games. The benefits of boredom are myriad in my opinion.
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 10:28
we don't do the kids' stuff in the malls - play at home mostly or the park...
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 10:26
Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that and I have a 2 year old currently playing with his train set... oh hold on he wants more oj maybe I should take him to be entertained! ;)
Latest post on 13 December 2011 - 10:22
And pandered to all the time? It seems that never a holiday comes up but people are freaking out about what they are going to " do" with their children out and about....whatever happened to spending some time with them at home or even letting them play in the house or garden? Do we really need the endless round of play areas, activities, etc etc....and then people wonder why their children are a nightmare..... In the past few days, there have been children screaming their heads off all over town - oh and it is especially great when Mum decides that this is something she will ignore!!! Just let the rest of us listen to it, why don't you? I very nearly told a child off yesterday - can you imagine? The whole shop felt the same - I know it! So there you are - bah humbug and all that !;) <em>edited by spongemonkey on 13/12/2011</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY