Bed Bugs HELP!!!! | ExpatWoman.com

Bed Bugs HELP!!!!

Latest post on 03 January 2012 - 12:08
I had the same problem a few months ago. I know just how you are feeling! I used a company (cant remember the name), but the guy is called Mohamed and his number is: 050 9234000. They charged around 600/ 800 dhs to spray the entire apartment and they had options of sprays with and without the odour. They also guarantee the spraying for I think 3 months and will come back if you see anything within this time. When the guys came round they showed me clear bed bug eggs that had latched onto luggage bags and all sorts, which I would never have noticed and if you miss one they can start to multiply again! I would recommend getting the place sprayed if you can maybe stay out of the apartment for a few days! I know thats not easy but they can be real pesky things and the sprays are very strong , so not advisable for you to breath in in your condition. They can live inside wardrobes, rugs, sofas, beds, curtain poles etc (anywhere where it is dark, mainly congregated in corners). Bed bugs cant penetrate metal, plastic or leather so its just wooden and material furniture that you need to be concerned with. Its a messy job, but to be honest for anything that you cant hot wash I would personally throw it away (if possible) and wash down all wardrobe doors and other furniture in hot water with disinfectant. I also replaced my bed with a metal framed one, and asked the guys to spray the new wooden base slats just to be on the safe side. Good luck! I know its a stressful thing! <em>edited by Queenie79 on 03/01/2012</em>
Latest post on 26 December 2011 - 14:03
What type of mattress is it? Does it have the air holes in it? If so - bin it. You will never be able to get rid of the eggs / bugs if they have gone inside and laid the eggs.
Latest post on 26 December 2011 - 13:16
You don't need to buy new mattreses buy a steamer and a dryer...
Latest post on 26 December 2011 - 13:14
I don't have a dryer... My freezer is pretty empty though, perhaps I'll try putting some stuff in there. I've been running clothes, etc through hot water wash, I wonder if this will be enough. I'd like to just buy new mattresses for my boys but I don't want to do it too soon as I don't want the new ones to get infested. Anyhow, thanks for your advice, off I go to continue cleaning.:( The water it should be min 50grdes C to kill the egss...
Latest post on 26 December 2011 - 12:36
I don't have a dryer... My freezer is pretty empty though, perhaps I'll try putting some stuff in there. I've been running clothes, etc through hot water wash, I wonder if this will be enough. I'd like to just buy new mattresses for my boys but I don't want to do it too soon as I don't want the new ones to get infested. Anyhow, thanks for your advice, off I go to continue cleaning.:(
Latest post on 26 December 2011 - 11:34
If somehow you have the space for it the after you do what Mariana has suggested (high heat), peace as much as you can in a freezer overnight. Pillows, sheets etc. they are killed off by extreme heat AND extreme cold so the best is to do BOTH. That's what the professionals first do in the US before using chemicals...especially in houses that have children. Watched a very interesting documentary on it recently as its becoming a massive problem in some states there! They are very versitile little creatures that can indeed make their own way through buildings etc. Dubai is becoming a hot spot due to its 'transient' location. Here they can be picked up on airplane seats, suitcases etc. Best of luck with it and hope it doesn't become an infestation!
Latest post on 26 December 2011 - 11:23
You need a washing machine with dryer and a very good steamer vacum. Take all your duvets , clothes etc. and trow them in the dryer machine for 1 h each load(high temperature kills the eggs) and put them in plastic bags when are you done ( you can wash them later when you have time if they are dirty , important is to be exposed to high heat). Steam the mattress , sofas, walls, floors, curthains, celing, anythhing that can be steam. Vacum all that can be vacumed, and dispose fast outside the contents of the the vacum( in a sealed plastic bag)
Latest post on 26 December 2011 - 11:11
A few years ago, when my friend's complained of bed bugs in his house, I recommended using mattress protector after the spray didn't fully help. He and his wife have no bed bug problem after that. Maybe you would like to give it a try since they have a shop here in Karama. I don't know the exact location, so please call them. HTH http://www.protectabed.com/health-and-hygiene/bed-bug-treatment.aspx Froma General Trading LLC P.O. Box 114060 Dubai, United Arab Emirates Tel: +971 4 3479192 Fax: +971 4 3477884 Cell: +971 50 6598290 Email: [email protected] <em>edited by blimey on 26/12/2011</em>
Latest post on 26 December 2011 - 11:00
I just called National Pest Control and she suggested I should try treating the problem on my own before trying chemical treatment b/c of pregnancy. Has anyone dealt with this before? She also said I should wash all clothing, bedding, etc. at home as a lot of laundry companies have BB problems! Can anyone recommend somewhere I can take duvets and other large items that I can't wash at home? What a NIGHTMARE! I don't know if I'll ever sleep again!
Latest post on 26 December 2011 - 10:38
I have just found bed bugs in my sons' room this morning!! I am beside myself!! I have just pulled everything out of their room, am washing all the bedding and have thrown some things in the garbage. I just did a search on this forum and the internet and will call pest control. I am worried though as I am 6 months pregnant and don't know if it's safe to use pest control and if I trust them to know for sure. Any advice? This is such a terrible problem - we are not a dirty family but I worry maybe it's in our apartment building, can they travel from apartment to apartment?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY