Poss move to Muscat | ExpatWoman.com

Poss move to Muscat

Latest post on 13 June 2012 - 13:29
Hi Sara. We are also moving to Muscat for the new school term and have got our kids into TLC. They were at school in the UK and there is such a long waiting list for the British School, so I was quite relieved to find TLC which runs the British Curriculum. We visited it and it seems quite small, but I quite liked that. My son is going to year 3 and my daughter is going to year 5, so a bit older than your son. I could get my son into the Royal Flight School, but not my daughter, but also heard good things about it. Good Luck and give me a shout when you arrive, I'd love to meet new people, the more the merrier! Cheers, Michelle.
Latest post on 28 December 2011 - 16:06
Sara, as myram has said - there is also royal flight school. Its very small though and places are very difficult to get. I've also tried to find the thread where I recommended TLC to someone but I cant find it. It would be worth considering though. And MQ - is a multi national community with plenty of locals living there also.
Latest post on 28 December 2011 - 12:55
Sara we are in the process of moving from Dubai to muscat, therefore am currently looking at all the things you are enquiring about. Villas at the wave are really sought after so the prices are fairly high. A three bedroom villa will rent for minimum 1300 rials per month; town houses are cheaper but have no gardens. There are 2 main British schools: Royal Flight and British School of Muscat. The waiting lists are really long! We put my sons name down for next year and were told that so far he isn't going to e able to get into neither of them. There is another small primary school called TLC. The building is not fancy but I've heard good things about the teaching so I also put my son's on the waiting list there and fortunately we managed to get him in. I'd say if your little one is going to end up at the British School of Muscat it isn't ideal for you to live at the wave as it's quite a drive to and from, you'd probably want to look into Madinat Qaboos which is another expat community. hope this helps a bit!
Latest post on 28 December 2011 - 09:08
Thanks Desert Rose. Am I right in thinking there is only one school which follows the UK curriculum?
Latest post on 28 December 2011 - 06:35
Hi Sara, its very difficult to get a place in the schools here and I would suggest putting your name down now - though some of the schools have already told people if they have a place for next year or not. Prices for 3 bedroomed villas vary, even on the wave because there are different types of villas. Have a look at some of the real estate agents websites and that should give you an idea. Off the top of my head though I would say it could be around 1200 - 1400 rials monthly. We have Marks and Spencers but no Debenhams or Waitrose, but Al Fair/Spinneys do stock a few Waitrose products. This really isnt a place to be if shopping is very important to a person, however the people and the country more than make up for us having basic shops. hth :) eta - you might want to consider a townhouse on The Wave if you decide against a villa. . <em>edited by DesertRose1958 on 28/12/2011</em>
Latest post on 27 December 2011 - 22:03
Hi ladies, we are looking at a possible move to Muscat (from Dubai) in June 2012. Our main concern is getting a school place for our DS - he is 5 years old and in Year 1. We want him to stay in a UK curriculum school - it seems as if there is only one in Muscat - is it very difficult to get a place? What are rental prices for a small 3-bed villa? We would like to live at the Wave if possible. What are the shops like? Is there a Debenhams. M&S, Waitrose etc? TIA for any info/advice.