Manuka Honey | ExpatWoman.com

Manuka Honey

Latest post on 24 January 2012 - 16:55
it's the "unique manuka factor". what makes umf manuka honey special is: in normal manuka (without umf), there are antibacterial properties (as are there in a lot of honeys), but in umf manuka honey, there are antibacterial properties (natural hydrogen peroxide) plus umf, the manuka honeys own special antibacterial agent. so the higher the umf rating, the higher the therapeutic strength of the honey. that is why if you want the benefits, you should go for ACTIVE manuka honey with a umf rating of atleast 10. the higher you go, the better the anitbacterial properties, so the better it is health wise. if you want an everyday honey, go for manuka honey without umf (available at m&s). if you want the special stuff, holland and b(g?)arrett at micc have a great range, starting from umf 5+
Latest post on 24 January 2012 - 15:47
What's UMF? What you say when you see the price? According to this, it doesn't seem to stand for anything, in particular: http://benefitofmanukahoney.com/2011/01/the-viability-of-manuka-honeys-rating-systems/ <em>edited by simpleasabc on 24/01/2012</em>
Latest post on 24 January 2012 - 15:19
More Cafe also usually have some too
Latest post on 24 January 2012 - 00:45
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I've never heard of manuka honey before. How is this honey different from the regular ones that we get in the supermarkets? Thanks! Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuka_honey Thanks Chocs01!
Latest post on 23 January 2012 - 06:17
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I've never heard of manuka honey before. How is this honey different from the regular ones that we get in the supermarkets? Thanks! Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuka_honey
Latest post on 23 January 2012 - 00:28
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I've never heard of manuka honey before. How is this honey different from the regular ones that we get in the supermarkets? Thanks!
Latest post on 22 January 2012 - 12:05
I have been giving my 2 year old daughter a spoonful occassionally(especially if sick) and she often asks for more. How much do you think is too much? I looked into this a few weeks ago now - although to be honest for me as I am pregnant and had a bit of a cold, so was drinking lemon, honey and ginger drinks. Anyway, after a quick research I found the recommendation seemed to be no more than 10 teaspoons (50mls) a day - given it is very high in sugar. They didn't seem to differentiate between adults and children - again, this was a very quick search, so someone else may have other information! The only absolute 'no-no' is that honey should never been given to a child under the age of 1 years old.
Latest post on 22 January 2012 - 11:51
I have been giving my 2 year old daughter a spoonful occassionally(especially if sick) and she often asks for more. How much do you think is too much?
Latest post on 22 January 2012 - 10:58
AmyAus, too bad you missed the sale at Organic Foods & Cafe yesterday, I picked up 2 bottles of Manuka honey, UMF +15 at 20% off. They had loads on the shelf at 12 noon. If you live near Mercato maybe we can arrange something. <em>edited by Apricot on 22/01/2012</em>
Latest post on 22 January 2012 - 10:47
The organic cafe has Manuka Honey UMF15+ in stock (bought some 2 days ago at the Dubai Mall branch). They sell it at a fraction of the price than the pharmacies too xxx This is such a fab remedy Quizzme, do you mind telling us how much it was? need some for my girls, they both have colds I think around 65Aed for a small pot and around 125 for a big one x
Latest post on 22 January 2012 - 09:55
Park and shop sell the UMF approved Manuka honey, much cheaper there then the pharmacies. Boots was nearly twice the price of park and shop. The higher the UMF the more healing property it has. I have UMF 20+ and its fantastic for cuts, wounds etc as it leaves no scarring at all. UMF 10 to 15 is great for colds.
Latest post on 22 January 2012 - 09:52
Take a look at benefitofmanukahoney and you'll be amazed what you can do with it! Makes a wicked face mask too :)
Latest post on 22 January 2012 - 09:50
can i ask what you do with it? do you put it in water and drink it? Best just eaten straight from the spoon (nice and soothing as it goes down) or mixed with hot water and fresh squeezed lemon (and crushed paracetamol if req.). Hope you're all feeling better soon :-)
Latest post on 22 January 2012 - 09:49
can i ask what you do with it? do you put it in water and drink it? It's brilliant for digestion, so you can eat a teaspoon full before meals. Also it has bacteria killing properties, so wonderful for sore throats. I usually just eat it off a spoon, or mix with some warm milk. Or you can do the traditional hot water, honey, lemon thing.
Latest post on 22 January 2012 - 09:44
That won't be the same though. You'll only find the 'medical grade' Manuka honey which is 20+ for its antibacterial properties in health food stores or pharmacies. Pardon me, I didn't see on OP's post that she was looking for UMF 20+ Manuka. No, but given that the OP started this thread as an off-shoot to my suggestion on another thread, I'm gathering her needs would be for the highest possible UMF. i.e. for sore throats, colds etc But I've never seen Manuka honey anywhere else apart from pharmacies or health stores, so it is good to know you can find it elsewhere.
Latest post on 22 January 2012 - 09:40
That won't be the same though. You'll only find the 'medical grade' Manuka honey which is 20+ for its antibacterial properties in health food stores or pharmacies. Pardon me, I didn't see on OP's post that she was looking for UMF 20+ Manuka.
Latest post on 22 January 2012 - 09:29
The organic cafe has Manuka Honey UMF15+ in stock (bought some 2 days ago at the Dubai Mall branch). They sell it at a fraction of the price than the pharmacies too xxx This is such a fab remedy Quizzme, do you mind telling us how much it was? need some for my girls, they both have colds
Latest post on 22 January 2012 - 09:16
The organic cafe has Manuka Honey UMF15+ in stock (bought some 2 days ago at the Dubai Mall branch). They sell it at a fraction of the price than the pharmacies too xxx This is such a fab remedy
Latest post on 22 January 2012 - 09:12
La Marche stocks manuka honey from new zealand, not cheap but worth it in my opinion.
Latest post on 22 January 2012 - 09:12
You will also find them at large chain grocery stores. There is one that I like which I get from Lulu's or Carrefour, it's Honeyland by New Zealand. That won't be the same though. You'll only find the 'medical grade' Manuka honey which is 20+ for its antibacterial properties in health food stores or pharmacies.
Latest post on 22 January 2012 - 09:08
You will also find them at large chain grocery stores. There is one that I like which I get from Lulu's or Carrefour, it's Honeyland by New Zealand.
Latest post on 22 January 2012 - 08:59
You're welcome! Just be warned it's not cheap by any means, but is amazing stuff :)
Latest post on 22 January 2012 - 08:49
I find it in most pharmacies :-)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY