IVF Conceive - Egg Collection - Painfull? | ExpatWoman.com

IVF Conceive - Egg Collection - Painfull?

Latest post on 15 February 2012 - 18:50
Hi Ladies. Thanks so much. Well what a whirlwind. I went for my EC on Monday (you were all right of course - it was fine - well apart from the supository - ouch!) and they collected 3 viable eggs,however as my progesterone level was 1.6 and the cut off is apparently 1.5 there was a question mark over whether they would be put back or frozen until next cycle. I was asked to call the clinic this morning and boom I was called in this afternoon for the Egg transfer. I have had 2 out of the 3 eggs fertilised and put back and now I just have to pray pray pray! It does seem a very quick transfer but once agin nerves got the better of me and I didnt even ask the lovely (and they truly are) staff at Conceive why it was so quick. I think I feel relived to have gone through the whole process now so if I did have to go through it again which I so hope I wont I at least know what to expect. Thanks so much for your support ladies and it really does warm my heart to hear the success stories.xxx
Latest post on 15 February 2012 - 14:36
Oh good luck so stressful X
Latest post on 15 February 2012 - 14:24
Hey Confusion, Was thinking of you and wondering how your collection went :-) Happy vibes to you xx Nic
Latest post on 12 February 2012 - 15:38
Thanks WB72. Wel let's forgetthe way cheaper comment then lol! Thanks though. Really good to know. I will keep you posted.xx
Latest post on 12 February 2012 - 15:14
Hi WB72. Many thanks for htis. Funnily enough I just read something about Natural IVF and was wondering whether to ask about it. Now I definitely will (if I need it which please god I won't). I am almost 41 and i had a blood test by my doctor which indicated a low AMH (Anti Mullerian Hormone = basically your egg reserve) and all they keep saying is that I've reacted well to the drugs given my age and my low AMH (am really beginning to hate those words lol). Thanks so much. Very best of luck to you. It would be great to hear how you get on. I also hear Natural IVF is way cheaper...is that true? Thanks! Good luck, I too hope you don't need to ask about to try another treatment and this is your month! What us good about Natural IVF is low to no drugs and no down time between cycles you can do one every single month back to back. If by way cheaper you mean 18,ooo dhs a cycle...um..yeah its way cheaper :-)
Latest post on 12 February 2012 - 15:08
Hi WB72. Many thanks for htis. Funnily enough I just read something about Natural IVF and was wondering whether to ask about it. Now I definitely will (if I need it which please god I won't). I am almost 41 and i had a blood test by my doctor which indicated a low AMH (Anti Mullerian Hormone = basically your egg reserve) and all they keep saying is that I've reacted well to the drugs given my age and my low AMH (am really beginning to hate those words lol). Thanks so much. Very best of luck to you. It would be great to hear how you get on. I also hear Natural IVF is way cheaper...is that true? Thanks!
Latest post on 12 February 2012 - 14:57
Sadly due to surgery a couple of years ago I am left with one ovary and all four were in there with one more but not of a great size so am still hopeful! I apparenty have a low AMH (which is basically low egg reserve which I guess makes sense due to my age) but they seemed to be happy that I managed 4 follicles so who knows! Trying to be so positive but aggh it's so hard! I will definitely go armed with my questions and just pray I even get to ET stage. Am trying to do at least 3 litres a day of water so hope its helping! Thanks again - you are truly blessed :) x x Hi confusion, sorry to barge in on your thread just a comment for you. I don't know what your age is or how they determine your AMH (actually, I would love to know myself to see if I could have it tested) but I have read a lot about Natural Cycle IVF which is supposed to be very effective for older women who produce low antral follicle numbers even with stimulation. Have you visited the Fakih clinic? They offer this and I am currently undergoing the treatment. Good luck by the way, from what I am told it really is also a numbers game, the more you try the greater the chances of success!
Latest post on 12 February 2012 - 14:37
Sadly due to surgery a couple of years ago I am left with one ovary and all four were in there with one more but not of a great size so am still hopeful! I apparenty have a low AMH (which is basically low egg reserve which I guess makes sense due to my age) but they seemed to be happy that I managed 4 follicles so who knows! Trying to be so positive but aggh it's so hard! I will definitely go armed with my questions and just pray I even get to ET stage. Am trying to do at least 3 litres a day of water so hope its helping! Thanks again - you are truly blessed :) x x
Latest post on 12 February 2012 - 14:20
Thank you, my DH and I do feel truly blessed as I am sure you will be. RE your follicles - they will check before for numbers etc and to see which side has responded the most from the treatment. 4 follicles is still good so I am sure that they will be about to collect a number of eggs from you. :) We had no other option than ICSI due to DH's count as we needed 'extra' help to fertilise my eggs - Its worth asking which method - I am not sure if this changes how many days in-between the collection and transfer - we had a 3 day transfer - sometimes 5 days are given (although I am not sure if Conceive offer this - worth asking) I forgot to add to my last post, I drank A LOT of water which was my only fluid intake - again I am not sure if it helped I was just mindful that I had a lot chemicals from the drugs etc around my body and I want to flush them out. Fingers crossed and baby dust to you xx
Latest post on 12 February 2012 - 13:50
Wow Shinynewpony. Thats such lovely lovely news. CONGRATULATIONS! I have absolutely no idea which method they are using (how bad is that of me?!) as nothing has been discussed. In fact whilst the treatment has been great the information really has been minimal and therefore it's upto me to ask all these kinds of questions - once I know what I should be asking. Thanks for the great advice. I pray that I get to the transfer stage and will then do what I can to try not to stress but taking time off works seems not possible right now. Will just try and take it as easy as I possibly can and hope and pray that the get a good egg or 2 tomorrow. I only had 4 follicles on Friday but still hopeful. Thanks so much. This really si a rolercoaster and as I am 41 the encouragement has been quite vague! Thanks so much and congratulations again x x x
Latest post on 12 February 2012 - 12:09
Thankfully we were blessed during our first cycle and I am now almost 16 weeks with twins. Once the collection is over in a few days they will let you know how many eggs they retrieved, how many mature and how many fertilised. We use ICSI for fertilisation - which method are you using? It is a roller coaster that's for sure but the best advice that I can give is stay positive and calm - easier said then done I know. I used some meditation and visualisation techniques plus I took a week off work once the transfer had been done - kept my feet warm and tried not to raise my adrenaline too much (old wives tales I know but I was happy to try it all). Some say dont rest, some say rest, I took it pretty easy - tried not to engage in anything that would stress me out - I watched a lot of chick-flicks and tried to laugh my way through the week :) Best wishes for tomorrow :) xxx
Latest post on 12 February 2012 - 10:13
Thanks so much for the replies. I read them late last night andhad a much better nights sleep! Many congratulations nixwilson thats such lovely news. I hope all is good with your pregnancy. :) Shinynewpony & ivfuae - may I ask if you have had any success at all? I am a little older and struggling to find some positivity right now as keep getting told how low the success rates are at my ages. Not great whn trying to keep positive. Thanks ladies - really appreciate the replies.
Latest post on 11 February 2012 - 20:01
Hi Confusion, Dont be scared the egg collection itself is over rather quickly. All the staff will be lovely towards you and very reassuring should you have any questions. A point to add - you are sedated but awake (or at least I was). The nurse will stay with you the whole time and hold your hand :) - the build up to it is worse than the procedure itself. It doesnt hurt, more like someone is poking around inside you, but no pain and if you want you can watch the screen which shows the eggs being collected. I took the rest of the day off and spent it in bed as I wanted to be in the best shape possible for the egg transfer. To add I couldnt have been more happy with the treatment that I received from Conceive, all of the staff were very professional and knowledgeable. - you are in very good hands with them so please please do not worry :) Best of luck with Monday - let me know how you get on xxxx <em>edited by Shinynewpony on 11/02/2012</em>
Latest post on 11 February 2012 - 20:00
For me, the egg collection was the easiest part, cos you're knocked out :-) The worst bit of it is getting the cannula in your hand for the anesthetic to go in, so suggust nipping to the pharmacy and buying some Emla cream and ask the nurse to apply to possible cannula sites as soon as you check in (takes at least 30/45 mins to fully numb the area) and you should be grand. As IVFUAE says, afterwards you might have some cramping, mine was bearable but prob due to fact I have endometriosis so am used to have the most dreadful period pain :-) To be honest the egg transfer was the worst bit for me, not that it was painful per se, just uncomfortable but I just found it completely unsettling and embarassing :-) Mind you I did start crying as he did the actual transfer but that waas the emotional aspect of knowing what it might lead to. I am currently 13 1/2 weeks pregnant with identical twins :-) So my babies are part IVF/part natural as the egg splitting was completely its own action :-) Nic
Latest post on 11 February 2012 - 19:00
Confusion, no need to be scared. egg retrieval is done under anesthetic general, well at Dr F's anyway. during the procedure of course you don't feel anything. After the procedure you might feel cramps, for some its worse for others it's okay. Its like really bad period pain. They do offer something for it, if they do take it go home & rest. It will pass quickly after few hours you will be fine. Best luck, I hope everything goes well for you.:)
Latest post on 10 February 2012 - 22:37
Hi Ladies. I go for the egg retrieval stage of my ivf on Monday and am quite scared. can anyone tell me if they have been through this at Conceive and did you feel pain? Trying so hard to be positive but feeling very wobbly. Thank you in advance.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY