Is it possible to dye a dress?? | ExpatWoman.com

Is it possible to dye a dress??

Latest post on 24 November 2015 - 14:47
Hello. After dying a jacket in the washing machine do i have to use the washing machine without any thing inside, just to clean it? I'm afraid the color will go on the other clothes if i try to wash them after using dye.
Latest post on 21 February 2012 - 20:13
Beware, if the stitching is in nylon. Because if you go darker then you might find that you still have the original peach coloured stitching. This is true, I have a navy shirt with white stitching. :) Best not to go too dark if you have white/pale stitching on your dress.
Latest post on 21 February 2012 - 15:07
Beware, if the stitching is in nylon. Because if you go darker then you might find that you still have the original peach coloured stitching.
Latest post on 21 February 2012 - 12:38
RIT is another brand of dye. Will try the dylon in the front load machine... thanks!
Latest post on 21 February 2012 - 12:34
Good old Dylon dye has been around for decades. My mum used it to dye her wedding dress in the 50s so that she could wear it as an evening dress! I used to dye clothes and fabric shoes with it too, it's good stuff but yes, I agree that you need to go darker rather than lighter :) <em>edited by JoyceB on 21/02/2012</em>
Latest post on 21 February 2012 - 12:23
Mine is a front loader and I always use the Dylon dyes without a problem.
Latest post on 21 February 2012 - 11:51
can i use the dylon ones in a front load machine? I bought RIT a while back as it was what I've used before...but the instructions say top load machine etc. any dye experts? Ive used a front loader to dye too :-)
Latest post on 21 February 2012 - 11:50
I always use front loading machines with dylon dyes, I have even dyed in a huge bucket. What is RIT?
Latest post on 20 February 2012 - 22:26
can i use the dylon ones in a front load machine? I bought RIT a while back as it was what I've used before...but the instructions say top load machine etc. any dye experts?
Latest post on 20 February 2012 - 21:07
I do think it depends on the material. cotton will readily change colour. polyester/nylon will not. even if the seams are in nylon they may keep original colour or change just a bit.
Latest post on 20 February 2012 - 21:01
Yes it is. I quite often dye things, usually black clothes that seem to fade to a dull shade here quickly. I also dyed a mid- brown skirt to a rich chocolate brown. It is easy - just get one of the washing machine dylon dyes, stick it in the machine with a load of salt and follow the instructions. I have never had anything shrink on me as you dye at a cool temp. BTW you cannot dye anything white, just go for a darker/richer shade and you should be fine. I find the dyes in Magrudys, Spinneys and Al Maya supermarkets. Thanks so much, it sounds so easy, can't believe i didn't even know if it was possible!! Will have a trip to Spinneys tomorrow! You will find the dyes in the laundry section. Good luck!
Latest post on 20 February 2012 - 20:59
I have dyed lots of my clothes with the Dylon dyes. It's so easy, mind you I have had a few items come out a bit patchy and have had to do them a second time. Like Genie said you should use a darker colour, but go for it, you'll have a new dress :)
Latest post on 20 February 2012 - 20:56
Yes it is. I quite often dye things, usually black clothes that seem to fade to a dull shade here quickly. I also dyed a mid- brown skirt to a rich chocolate brown. It is easy - just get one of the washing machine dylon dyes, stick it in the machine with a load of salt and follow the instructions. I have never had anything shrink on me as you dye at a cool temp. BTW you cannot dye anything white, just go for a darker/richer shade and you should be fine. I find the dyes in Magrudys, Spinneys and Al Maya supermarkets. Thanks so much, it sounds so easy, can't believe i didn't even know if it was possible!! Will have a trip to Spinneys tomorrow!
Latest post on 20 February 2012 - 20:49
Yes it is. I quite often dye things, usually black clothes that seem to fade to a dull shade here quickly. I also dyed a mid- brown skirt to a rich chocolate brown. It is easy - just get one of the washing machine dylon dyes, stick it in the machine with a load of salt and follow the instructions. I have never had anything shrink on me as you dye at a cool temp. BTW you cannot dye anything white, just go for a darker/richer shade and you should be fine. I find the dyes in Magrudys, Spinneys and Al Maya supermarkets.
Latest post on 20 February 2012 - 20:33
I've got a lovely dress, fits me really nicely but it's a weird peach colour, is it possible to dye it another colour preferably a chocolate brown colour but black or white would be good if that's easier to do? It's linen and normally I wouldn't bother but it really is a lovely fit!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY