cheap holiday | ExpatWoman.com

cheap holiday

Latest post on 06 March 2012 - 13:04

Just looking fro some tips on a value holiday for family of 5 with kids under 5 with good kids clubs etc so as we adults can have a bit of a rest. We have been in dubai for 8 months and unfortunately cant afford to go back to uk in summer but dont want to be here for at least 2 weeks in ramadan. Overseas maybe Sri Lanka or Thailand maybe, any clues??? Can anyone advise please???

Thanks x
<em>edited by ter3571 on 06/03/2012</em>

Latest post on 08 March 2012 - 22:28
thanks for the info....sounds good :)
Latest post on 06 March 2012 - 21:42
Hi fairycake, We stayed at Horizon Beach Resort Karon, it was nice, rooms were big had 2 different pools, breakfast was nice, it was on hill (Tsunami safe zone :) Lol) but you would have to see if it suits you and kids they had a kids club but i liked the location of the hotel as if you walk down the hill there is food outlets nice resteraunts, baby elephant to feed every night, rooms had dvd player and you can buy dvd cheap enough from shop round the corner, plenty to keep little ones entertained. DS is not into kids clubs and only went once while we were there, they also have a swim up bar, a regular bar and resteraunt. It was a nice family location tuks tuks you would have to barter with them, you can also barter for day trips too which we did and went to Phi Phi Island on a speedboat with lunch snorkelling etc for just over 1000 baht? ETA tripadvisor is my travel companion, get on agoda and booking.com see hotels in your price range then check them out on tripadvisor see what the hotel has to offer and see if its right for you. x edited by egg on 06/03/2012 Thanks egg .. Been looking for hours grrrr tsunami safe zone sounds good :) Sounds like the kind of holiday we want, will look into it now.
Latest post on 06 March 2012 - 21:00
Hi fairycake, We stayed at Horizon Beach Resort Karon, it was nice, rooms were big had 2 different pools, breakfast was nice, it was on hill (Tsunami safe zone :) Lol) but you would have to see if it suits you and kids they had a kids club but i liked the location of the hotel as if you walk down the hill there is food outlets nice resteraunts, baby elephant to feed every night, rooms had dvd player and you can buy dvd cheap enough from shop round the corner, plenty to keep little ones entertained. DS is not into kids clubs and only went once while we were there, they also have a swim up bar, a regular bar and resteraunt. It was a nice family location tuks tuks you would have to barter with them, you can also barter for day trips too which we did and went to Phi Phi Island on a speedboat with lunch snorkelling etc for just over 1000 baht? ETA tripadvisor is my travel companion, get on agoda and booking.com see hotels in your price range then check them out on tripadvisor see what the hotel has to offer and see if its right for you. x <em>edited by egg on 06/03/2012</em>
Latest post on 06 March 2012 - 20:00
Definitely Thailand Phuket, Etihad are doing direct flights 6 hours 50 minutes, for about 2500 each, but you have to callthem or alternatively you can book the flight with Expedia online, you can get cheaper hotels etc by using sites like agoda.com and booking.com use both to compare the prices as sometimes one is considerably cheaper than the other, also check the room policies as most places offer free kids under x years and you may get away with only paying for 1 extra bed and letting little ones share? I went to Sri Lanka too but definitely preferred Thailand for things for the little ones to do. It might take a bit of internet research but you can definitely do it for a reasonable price, we went to Thailand flights hotel and breakfast included for 1000 gbp for 3 of us. Think I have to do more research lol where did u stay ? Looking for a good place for all the kiddies :)
Latest post on 06 March 2012 - 19:51
Definitely Thailand Phuket, Etihad are doing direct flights 6 hours 50 minutes, for about 2500 each, but you have to callthem or alternatively you can book the flight with Expedia online, you can get cheaper hotels etc by using sites like agoda.com and booking.com use both to compare the prices as sometimes one is considerably cheaper than the other, also check the room policies as most places offer free kids under x years and you may get away with only paying for 1 extra bed and letting little ones share? I went to Sri Lanka too but definitely preferred Thailand for things for the little ones to do. It might take a bit of internet research but you can definitely do it for a reasonable price, we went to Thailand flights hotel and breakfast included for 1000 gbp for 3 of us.
Latest post on 06 March 2012 - 17:25
Hi Alimart, just to pick your brain on Sri Lanka and where you stayed. We are looking for a nice holiday towards the end of this month and originally planned to stay local (as in driving distance) but the hotels we want have no availability. Now we are thinking of looking abroad but with a 2.5yr old and a 9 month old, not sure what to do. Can you recommend somewhere in Sri Lanka please? Sorry also meant to ask how all things are going with your two ;o) Sorry to hijack thread OP Curly <em>edited by CurlyOB on 06/03/2012</em>
Latest post on 06 March 2012 - 17:00
We have had fairly cost effective holidays in Thailand (Phuket), Sri Lanka and our best holiday was to Turkey - a few days in Istanbul and then a villa in Kalkan, it was really amazing. We went to Thailand and Turkey when we just had our dd but Sri Lanka with a 2 year old and 6 month old, it was a fantastic holiday with kids.
Latest post on 06 March 2012 - 16:13
I have 3 kids 2 under 2 yrs ....we ve been looking at Thailand now ...we found flights around 2 thousand GBP, and a villa cheapest 1500 GBP...for 2 weeks.... I understand the food is cheap there so thought we d just be eating lunch n dinner out....
Latest post on 06 March 2012 - 15:11
Rather than saying cheap (we all have different definitions of the word) perhaps give a rough budget you have said you want to be away for at least 2 weeks but if all you have to pay for to go to the UK is flights, that may be the cheapest option
Latest post on 06 March 2012 - 14:31
Vietnam,Cambodia and Thailand. Good value for money and relaxing.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY