Living with an Autoimmune disorder? | ExpatWoman.com

Living with an Autoimmune disorder?

Latest post on 21 April 2012 - 09:07

Hi All,

I am doing a little research and wondered how many of you are living with an Autoimmune? I am not a reporter and i don't need any personal details:-) I would just like to know if you would be interested in a support type group/website with help advice on diet and lifestyle changes here in Dubai ?

Your feedback is really appreciated and thank you in advance:)

Jussie

Latest post on 18 February 2018 - 17:50
I also suffer from auto immune illnesses ,interstitial lung disease & a bone marrow disorder. Both quite rare & have yet to meet someone with similar illness in Dubai. Finding expertise in UAE diff...
Hi, is this meet up still going on? I’ve just moved to Dubai. I have one AI and an abnormality in the the bone marrow ( a rare dis-ease)
Latest post on 15 May 2017 - 13:27
Hi Everyone, I would like to join support groups for Lupus and other AI diseases. I have SLE and fortunately in remission. I've been checking online for support groups but can't find any. I joined Gluten-free UAE on Facebook. I am still awaiting their approval. Do you know of any other support groups? Thanks in advance!
Latest post on 23 February 2014 - 10:49
Hi, I have recently been dignosed with Relapsing Polychondritis(a rare AI disorder) and am new to Dubai. As of now, after reading this post, I have gone gluten free/dairy free/meat free - this seems to be helping, though am not sure if this is what my body needs. And I want to take this in natural way than taking strong medication. That's why, I need help from a nutritionist in Dubai, who could help me up with planning of my diet based on my medical history. So can anyone suggest a good nutritionist who could help me with this? Also, some name of the doctors, in case I there are emergencies. Apart from that, if there is any new meet-ups planned then I could join and get to know more about AIs. Thank you.
Latest post on 21 November 2013 - 16:29
Everyone copes and manages pain in different ways... I have always been very open to ideas for pain control and had all of my kids pain relief free, underwater. I also have dental treatment with no aesthetic . But the ongoing pain of RA is completely different. Everyday is different. You have to get yourself prepared just to get out of bed ! Somehow it doesn't matter how well your mind can cope with the pain your body will have other ideas ! I have found a great US website , that has helped me just by reading and relating to others in the same boat. www.rawarrior.com.
Latest post on 21 November 2013 - 12:53
Hi Ladies, Im wondering, have some of you heard or tried any of the complementary treatments used to treat chronic pain, like counseling or clinical hypnotherapy? I have come across some interesting clinical studies and articles showing remarkable results, you basically learn how to relate to the pain you feel and control it. Then consequently influence of pain on your daily life and personal relationships changes also. My partner suffers from quite severe back pain and i can see change in his personality when it happens, wonder if this could help. Any thoughts, please? Thank you :)
Latest post on 21 November 2013 - 11:55
Hi Ladies, I originally started this thread and I did as I stated and I started something up. I am extremely happy to say I have been successfully helping people with different types of AI's ever since :-) Good luck to you all. www.justbproject.com
Latest post on 21 November 2013 - 09:44
Thanks for the advice Jeano :)
Latest post on 21 November 2013 - 09:33
For Wo777, Apricot, bubbagump1 and Allsmum... I belong to many alternative RA group and the general consensus is it's not so much what you add to your diet, more about eliminating culprit foods which are causing the inflammation in the first place. Everyone is different and what works for one may not work for another, that's why it's so important we share worthwhile information in the hope of helping someone else. I have been through "adding" supplements/herbs to my diet - however my RA symptoms only improved when I began the food elimination process. My inflammation markers are all now within the normal range after being extremely high. I still get the fatigue occasionally but can deal with it now.
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 23:08
I did give it a good shot... I took the capsules and added Tumeric powder to everything. I took it for a couple of months. It just didn't seem to make any difference. Thanks for all the helpful tips .
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 23:00
Wifeof777, I have had problems with my knees since a young girl (not as bad as some of you ladies on here mind you). I started eating half teaspoon of turmeric a day about a year ago. I hardly have any pain in my knees these days, not sure if it's the turmeric, but I don't take anything else. I use it in curries, stews or take it plain yogurt, I have never taken it in tablet form.
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 22:26
I've tried Tumeric capsules....was having massive flare ups, but Tumeric didn't make any difference.
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 22:05
Ladies, Has anyone tried to incorporate turmeric into their diet http://www.subconsciousascension.com/userfiles/file/TurmericRemedies.pdf I have heard so many good things about turmeric and it's anti inflammatory properties. I already include it in most of my dishes. [i'>"Turmeric is considered an anti inflammatory herb. It is full of curcumin, which displays anti inflammatory properties similar to that of ibuprofen. Turmeric is much more effective than ibuprofen at treating autoimmune inflammation that's commonly found in autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis and uveitis. It is about as effect as corticosteroids, a very common medicine used in all different kinds of autoimmune disorders, with none of the unpleasant side effects. As an anti inflammatory herb, turmeric reduces swelling, and pain associated with autoimmune disorders. Turmeric health benefits go a step further than symptomatic treatment, however. A 2007 study published in "Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology" found that the curcumin found in turmeric actually inhibited some autoimmune disorders, slowing their progression".[/i'> [url=http://www.best-detox-diets.com/turmeric-health-benefits.html'>link[/url'> <em>edited by Alismum on 20/11/2013</em>
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 20:46
Wife of 777, I can totally relate, I have RA and would love to start Yoga/Pilates again but just don’t know if I’m physically able at the moment. Its been really interesting reading about the food elimination others have tried and I’m thinking it may be worth trying this (maybe starting with Caffeine?). I’m not a fan of all the Meds but struggling to find other ways to control my RA Is there still a group in Dubai running for RA?
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 20:04
yes - 10.30 am on saturday and 6 pm on Monday details on yogaretreats.ae - the teacher is lovely and really does take care that you are aligned properly etc....
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 20:02
My neighbor highly recommends private lessons from the staff at Zen Yoga. If your budget allows, you should definitely consider it.
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 20:02
I stopped drinking caffeine a long time ago for girlie issues . A few years ago I was on a wheat, yeast, sugar and fruit free diet. I lost lots of weight and I don't actually remember if the RA was particularly active. I think maybe try that diet again and some gentle yoga will help , it's just plucking up the courage to change ! Is the yoga at Safa park open to all ? And when is it on please .
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 19:51
why not have private lessons until you feel more comfortable? I have mild arthritis in both ankles and i manage - some things i can't really do but yoga does help (i also run on them - mainly just ignore the pain) but seriously stopping caffeine and seriously cutting back on wheat has made a huge difference.
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 19:44
Honestly ladies, I would need yoga for babies ! I have RA in both knees , feet and ankles ,sometimes wrists and elbows. Mind says yes , body says noooooo....crack crack creak creak !
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 19:32
i do yoga session in Safa park... really nice at this time of the year - http://yogaretreats.ae/yoga-schedule/ Also there is the yogastudio at safa park and www.yoga.ae who do classes in beach centre.
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 19:23
Thanks Apricot, I did used to go to classes there , but that was before RA.... I feel like mind has done all the classes before but body is an absolute beginner !
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 19:10
Hi wife of 777, I can recommend the yoga and Pilates classes at Dubai Ladies Club. I've attended both over a number of years. Even if you pay the non-member prices, the classes are cheaper than what you would pay at zen yoga in town centre. I go to Poopak's Sunday morning Pilates class, but if you can do evenings, Khadija is really good too. Christine's aqua yoga class is also lovely.
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 18:57
Hi Ladies, I have RA and have had enough of the meds , which didn't seem to work. I control the pain and swelling / flares with Predisolone and pain killers. I'm probably not doing the right thing , but I feel so much better in myself. I'm sure at the first sign of a serious flare I will be begging for meds again , but I may try the gluten free diet etc I will welcome anything natural that will help. I was trying to find a beginners yoga or Pilates , anyone know of classes in Jumeriah. Thanks
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 11:16
Okey dokey Izzy, you obviously have not experienced flares serious enough to go through the "whole" food elimination process to work out what the culprits are causing inflammation to your body. Each to their own...sorry for making a helpful suggestion. Stress and inflammation on your body is seriously not healthy either. No further comments from me, you obviously know all there is to know and are not receptive to others thoughtful suggestions...
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 11:04
Well done by the way Izzy...no one gets the whole RA thing unless you have it and have suffered those cruel flares - read an article the other where someone had likened their RA flares to "icecream headache/brain freeze" all over your body...
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 11:02
why on earth would anyone go meat free? Vegetarianism is not a healthy diet....
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 11:00
Go gluten free/meat free/dairy free...you will never regret the day if you have RA...
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 10:51
Its only been three weeks but i have eliminated caffeine out of my diet and i can't believe the difference - in the mornings i can get out of bed and walk like a normal person and not like a 95 year old!!!
Latest post on 16 September 2013 - 13:31
Hi Ladies I have RA and have posted on here several times. We have a small group who email each other and get together to share info. I have improved out of sight since changing the way I eat and I feel well again after many, many years of going undiagnosed. The Doctors I saw (there were many!!) all told me that my symptoms were menopause related and to get a grip of myself "take these anti-depressants" and lose some weight. Well no matter what I did to try and lose weight, I continued to put weight on...all 25kgs of it. I was finally diagnosed with RA early 2012, since then I have been reading/researching and have spent the past 18 months on my own food elimination programme as I'm convinced (and proof) that what we eat has a big impact on RA and other autoimmune diseases. I finally feel well again, have also lost 12kg along the way without one bit of effort at all. My flares appear to be food/allergy and infection related - these things were creating so much inflammation in my body and of course inflammation equals fluid retention...my arms were HUGE and I just couldn't work out why...I just felt so unwell and no one was listening. For example if I eat parmesan or blue cheese for example I will go into a cruel flare in a short period of time. If I have the smallest infection, it will make me unwell and create nasty pain and stiffness. I have only put all this RA puzzle together in the last 18. I chose not to take Methotrexate. I am now doing extremely well and hope others will at least try what I did...takes time but well worth it. I second that eliminating dairy, gluten and fried food has a huge impact on how I feel, inflammatory markers, fatigue, etc..I have autoimmune disease and noticed joints crackling lately a lot, my mother has rheumatoid arthritis and I cant bear the thought of having it too....I only take one medication for my disease, I refuse to be stuffed full of synthetic tablets...hopefully Pilates and diet will do the trick in the long run...
Latest post on 16 September 2013 - 13:10
Hi Ladies. I am with Dr. Humeira Badsha who is wonderful. Really?? i thought she was only really concerned with medicating me.
Latest post on 16 September 2013 - 12:51
Hi OzDubaiin Is your group still running? I would love to join. I was diagnosed with CFS and Fibromyalgia this morning. Feeling a little lost and think it would really help to talk to others with similar conditions, Thanks

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY