British International School | ExpatWoman.com

British International School

Latest post on 23 April 2012 - 03:05

Hello

My 3 children have been offered places at the BIS and was wondering if anyone else here has any children at the shool and if they could give there vies

Thank You

Latest post on 18 September 2012 - 20:02
I apologise, now I have read it back it should have said 'one of the best schools', because i don't think there will ever be a 'best' school as even taking results into account what works for one family does not for another. However what I object to is every post regarding schools that I have ever read on this forum it always seems to be that you are advocating bsak as the 'best' which is not the case and there never seems to be an open discussion on the other schools. I appreciate this is not your fault and you are giving your opinion to help the posters so I thought I would make them aware that there other forums where you can discuss the merits of different schools with actual parents. From now on I will stay away from the forum then I will have nothing to object to! :-) nope if you read every post that i have made about schools, then i always say that every child is different and what school works for one may not be the best for others etc. up until now there has only been the aldar schools, bisad had teething problems and major issues at the beginning with the senior school in particular, remember though bc has only been running for 1 year, so it cannot be regarded as the best thats the point i was making. i have loads of friends who has kids in all the schools here, and each family demographics will be different so what works for 1 will not always work for everyone. i know people who were in bsak and they changed to yasmina when it opened and they did this only because it was 2 mins down the road, in the beginning they werent even thinking about it because they didnt have the year for the oldest boy, but aldar at the last minute added another year so they were able to shift, i know people who were in yasmina and have now changed to bsak, i know people that were in bsak and changed to bc, everyone has different reasons, if it means being able to walk to school or join the wacky races every day, if the schools were similar then of course people swap and change about, i know people that moved their youngest ones to bc this year, but they couldnt move the oldest one as it didnt offer that year. just remember though as bc is selective it doest cater for everyone it doesnt cater for kids with any sort of special needs, whether that be learning or whatever, bsak does and to a point yasmina will, i am sure in time things will change but in the next few years with them changing the exam system yet again, its all going to be good fun which ever school you are in. i am defo not one to preach that you must go to bsak, as i said i know people in all the schools here, be it brit or us curriculum and i wont say my school is better as people are different so are the schools.
Latest post on 18 September 2012 - 17:15
I apologise, now I have read it back it should have said 'one of the best schools', because i don't think there will ever be a 'best' school as even taking results into account what works for one family does not for another. However what I object to is every post regarding schools that I have ever read on this forum it always seems to be that you are advocating bsak as the 'best' which is not the case and there never seems to be an open discussion on the other schools. I appreciate this is not your fault and you are giving your opinion to help the posters so I thought I would make them aware that there other forums where you can discuss the merits of different schools with actual parents. From now on I will stay away from the forum then I will have nothing to object to! :-)
Latest post on 18 September 2012 - 15:33
Do you know you are right I keep forgetting its an academic selective school, don't know how as you mention it in every thread but yes it is and i am lucky that my children are in, might be in for a shock when they hit 11 though! One other thing you reminded me about was why I stopped reading this forum. For future people moving to Abu dhabi and new to school parents already here there are actually other good schools apart from bsak, which is also a very good school btw :-) I realise you never actually slate any of the other schools but your negative digs are very much made to make people aware how you feel. Like you busy bee I have been here quite a no. of years and I agree that up until the last few years there was only one school and only one choice but that has changed and isn't that great for us as parents, more competition means its easier to get into a decent school and the existing schools out there have to keep up. I see competition as a positive and I know from friends of mine that bsak are already taking and implementing policies that exist at Brighton, and isn't that great for the children?? Abu dhabi is no longer a one horse town and there are other expat forums out there where you will get informative opinions on the other great schools, (not just British curriculum ones) information and points both good and bad from actual parents at the schools to help you make your minds up. I do not want to get into tit for tat bickering about schools though as I can only comment on what I know for sure and that is first hand information from my children's school. that is not what i said. what i said was that you cannot compare like for like, because they are not like for like, its like apples and pears. BC is selective, other schools are not, not just bsak, but all the aldar schools and bisad etc etc (ie all the other british curriculum schools). the only one that you can compare BC with is Repton like for like. all the aldar schools are doing very well, and its good now that there is more choice. if you ask my opinion properly i will always say that yasmina is just as good as bsak (as thats the only other secondary school to compare with at the mo), even if the results are better at bsak presently. i was having this very conversion with someone about this only a few hours ago. what i object to is that you are saying that BC is very nearly the best (after 1 year and all the teething probs with the head going to), and as you have no results to show for it you cannot claim that, yet!!! each school will work for different children, some may not be good at tests and so fail to get into BC because they select them, doesnt say that they are stupid just not good at testing.
Latest post on 18 September 2012 - 13:18
Do you know you are right I keep forgetting its an academic selective school, don't know how as you mention it in every thread but yes it is and i am lucky that my children are in, might be in for a shock when they hit 11 though! One other thing you reminded me about was why I stopped reading this forum. For future people moving to Abu dhabi and new to school parents already here there are actually other good schools apart from bsak, which is also a very good school btw :-) I realise you never actually slate any of the other schools but your negative digs are very much made to make people aware how you feel. Like you busy bee I have been here quite a no. of years and I agree that up until the last few years there was only one school and only one choice but that has changed and isn't that great for us as parents, more competition means its easier to get into a decent school and the existing schools out there have to keep up. I see competition as a positive and I know from friends of mine that bsak are already taking and implementing policies that exist at Brighton, and isn't that great for the children?? Abu dhabi is no longer a one horse town and there are other expat forums out there where you will get informative opinions on the other great schools, (not just British curriculum ones) information and points both good and bad from actual parents at the schools to help you make your minds up. I do not want to get into tit for tat bickering about schools though as I can only comment on what I know for sure and that is first hand information from my children's school.
Latest post on 17 September 2012 - 21:02
Off island has accommodation to suit your budget and some good schools as well. Brighton college, al Yasmina and bisad. I'm a Brighton parent and loving it. We are in the 2nd year and bar a few teething problems it's wonderful. The teachers are fantastic. They have just started the first gcse year this year so no results for that yet to compare with other schools. Their aim is to be the best school in the region and as our headmaster said last week we are close to being there already. The new head is great and is from Brighton college uk which has made most parents happy as his vision for our school is what we all signed up for. Getting in is also not easy as it isn't for many good schools here but there is more of a choice now than there used to be, Brighton is only 1 of a few good ones. Close to being the best sch in the region already, nah, what constitutes the best school, how can you judge, as you said before each school will cater for different students, the demographics etc, brighton college cannot be compared like for like with any of the other schs in ab dabs, as its selective none of the other schools select their students, so you can only compare like for like with comparable schs in the region and thats only repton in dubai which is the same. choosing any school will boil down to firstly getting an offer of a place, then you can decide if it works for you, the commute, the cost, a lot things need to be addressed.
Latest post on 17 September 2012 - 20:59
Thanks again busybee2. I don't suppose you are allowed to recommend the name of some half decent estate agents on the site? none of them are very good, it depends on where you will be looking, give us a clue?
Latest post on 17 September 2012 - 20:07
Off island has accommodation to suit your budget and some good schools as well. Brighton college, al Yasmina and bisad. I'm a Brighton parent and loving it. We are in the 2nd year and bar a few teething problems it's wonderful. The teachers are fantastic. They have just started the first gcse year this year so no results for that yet to compare with other schools. Their aim is to be the best school in the region and as our headmaster said last week we are close to being there already. The new head is great and is from Brighton college uk which has made most parents happy as his vision for our school is what we all signed up for. Getting in is also not easy as it isn't for many good schools here but there is more of a choice now than there used to be, Brighton is only 1 of a few good ones.
Latest post on 13 September 2012 - 18:29
Thanks again busybee2. I don't suppose you are allowed to recommend the name of some half decent estate agents on the site?
Latest post on 12 September 2012 - 12:13
Thanks again busybee2. Accommodation allowance from the company is 160K (I think not completely sure, non neg from their side). right then you are going to be off island, unless you want to go into an apartment more than likely. 160 is pretty good though nowadays.
Latest post on 12 September 2012 - 09:41
Thanks again busybee2. Accommodation allowance from the company is 160K (I think not completely sure, non neg from their side).
Latest post on 11 September 2012 - 16:05
Thank you ladies, you have been very helpful and it is most appreciated. Thanks Busybee, you seem to know about DESS which is useful too. Don't think we could even entertain a move this year so it would be for the start of the next academic year (Sept 2013). OK, one last question....so it seems that BSAK could be the one (and if in an ideal world there were two places for two children?!!).... How long is the school run? I know (silly question!) and it is difficult to say exactly, but just a very general idea eg. Raha Gardens area or examples of other common areas that an expat family might stay. Or maybe another more useful way to put it would be if they got in to BSAK (by some miracle), what are the neighbourhoods to stay in that are still bearable for a school run. eg. 1 hour in the car for a one way journey is too much for me (and the kids!)...currently our run is about 20-25mins which is reasonable and we manage (the driving and traffic is still horrendous, but that is another story for another time!). The reason I am asking as I see the price of accommodation on island is higher so this is a factor in the decision making process. Thank you. if you are looking at places for next year you need to have all your pieces of paper in place and be queing at bsak on the day they open applications etc to get a good chance of getting in, it really depends on the year groups, they do change every year, the lower the years usually the more difficult, but if you manage to get 1 child in the other will go up the list as a sibling etc. if you arent in you wont win it, so best to try. i know someone who was in the right place last week and got 2 children in fs1 at bsak and had only just applied last week and a few years ago a friend of mine got 1 child in but took over a year to get the other one in... so it changes from year to year and year group to year group, some people may say dont even bother but you just dont know as the demographics of that family group will be different the registrar is the only one that can advise you properly. my kids go to bsak and we currently live in kcb, but we have lived in town, which was only a few roundabouts about but could take 10 mins because of traffic and traffic lights, i have lived in between the bridges, and that is just over 10 mins, i have lived in kca (before everyone jumped on the band wagon and moved out there) and it was like 13 mins door to door, (it will not be like that now more like 20-25 mins as its a nitemare getting in and out of that place as its now too busy, we live in kcb because my hubs was commuting to twaleeha so it was easy connection to the e11 for him, we are right by the junction and then it takes me to get to bsak just under 20 mins going and a few mins more coming back as the access is more wiggy because of the roadworks. kcb is quiet compared to kca, there is no shops etc here yet they are planned, but across the road is the new baniyas mall, which when finished is brill, there is everything around within a 5 mins drive etc and without all the hassle of kca IMO. also the big difference kcb over kca when it rains, and it does come down moonsoon styly, we have pavements with drains, and street lights, which they do not have in kca, and each year it floods and last year quite a few cars were affected. what budget for housing have you got, as that will determine the area to look at.
Latest post on 10 September 2012 - 21:39
Thank you ladies, you have been very helpful and it is most appreciated. Thanks Busybee, you seem to know about DESS which is useful too. Don't think we could even entertain a move this year so it would be for the start of the next academic year (Sept 2013). OK, one last question....so it seems that BSAK could be the one (and if in an ideal world there were two places for two children?!!).... How long is the school run? I know (silly question!) and it is difficult to say exactly, but just a very general idea eg. Raha Gardens area or examples of other common areas that an expat family might stay. Or maybe another more useful way to put it would be if they got in to BSAK (by some miracle), what are the neighbourhoods to stay in that are still bearable for a school run. eg. 1 hour in the car for a one way journey is too much for me (and the kids!)...currently our run is about 20-25mins which is reasonable and we manage (the driving and traffic is still horrendous, but that is another story for another time!). The reason I am asking as I see the price of accommodation on island is higher so this is a factor in the decision making process. Thank you.
Latest post on 10 September 2012 - 20:52
BIS(AD) is British International School Abu Dhabi. BSAK British School Al Khubairat BSAK is the oldest british curriculum school in ad and has been going since 1968 but is located in town, at 19th and 24th. BISAD is in its 4th year perhaps now, and is located at AD Univ campus in Khalifa City C opp MBZ. BSAK is more expensive than BISAD but its fees are calcuated differently as its a non profit school, whereby BISAD is run for profit by Nord Anglia company. Brighton College is 1 year old, it started last year. already has been through 1 head, but again is a profit school run by Bloom Properties. BSAK runs GCSE and Alevels, and has the highest results in AD presently. BISAD is IB. if you are wanted the same as DESS then it is BSAK that is the same, non profit school. but getting in is difficult, waiting lists, and you can only apply in the jan/feb before the september start. they will take people from outside the country up to 15th november if you are in different curriculum but if coming from DESS then you can take up a place up to 15th feb if available, and you have more of a chance if you are already an expat in the system etc.
Latest post on 10 September 2012 - 20:34
That's ok, it is very confusing I know. BIS and BSAK are separate schools, BSAK has higher fees and is more central AD and BIS is near Abu Dhabi University, not far from Mohd. Bin Zayed City. We are still looking for a place to sty, may go for Raha Beach apartment, not too keen on villas. I noticed Brighton College, near Park Rotana, where we are staying and looks really good, haven't had a visit, there is nice accommodation being built across the road to it but only 2 bed villas available right now.
Latest post on 10 September 2012 - 19:54
Thanks for your info and message. Is BIS the same as BSAK or are these two different schools? (Apologies for my ignorance!)
Latest post on 10 September 2012 - 17:28
Hi, My daughter is attending FS2, to be honest it is the only school we visited before making a decision to move to AD. The reason we chose it, was mainly because my daughter was already in a private education and this school seemed very similar to the UK one just warmer climate. Also was reassured when I spoke to teachers etc, as I am keen that she kept at the pace she is used to, which is 1 year ahead of state schools. So far she is very happy there, small class size, think she has 10 in her class, which is what she is used to. The teacher is great, listened to all my concerns, informed me that my daughter has written her name, done lovely drawings and they have also done number work. The most funny thing so far, my daughter said, Mummy I want to learn Spanish and said a few words, but she hadn't realised it was Arabic! It's only her second week, no complaints so far. Also they give you a communication book, I have used it to communicate with teacher, as my Husband drops her off. Always get a reply right away, also provided with the teachers email address that you can use. Hope this helps, just make sure you are comfortable with the School. The original issues they had with the School, I was informed have been overcome, they 'weeded out' bad teaching staff apparently.
Latest post on 09 September 2012 - 13:16
Hello ladies, We are considering a move to AD....currently live in Doha, Qatar. Can anyone who has done that move from Doha to Qatar advise on schools as I am interested in a comparison. My two children are now both in DESS (Doha English Speaking School) which is a super school here, they are so happy and we did have to wait a while to get them in there (changing schools already once). But now there are mutterings from DH about a potential move to AD. The school issue is a an important one for us so wondered if you, or anyone else had any comparisons. DESS here in Doha is the British Embassy school and the oldest established school here...I have been reading about BSAK. Any comments? Which is the best British curriculum school in AD? (I really don't want to have move them twice when we get to AD!) Thank you.
Latest post on 23 April 2012 - 21:04
havent got kids there, but at the beginning when it opened it did suffer with teething probs especially in senior school but havent heard anything bad for a good long while they have a newish principal there now and all seems ok.