ground soy protein mix | ExpatWoman.com

ground soy protein mix

Latest post on 18 May 2012 - 18:38

Can you get it in Dubai? Is it the same as the Tofu equivalent to ground beef? That's what I'm looking for. Sorry... clueless when it comes to the names of things as am not veggie... just trying to go more that way!

Latest post on 10 February 2017 - 16:59
can anyone update this thread? some great tips on here, can anyone say whether still available at mentioned shops? need to prepare some meatless meals and this sounds ideal for the selected recipes thanks!
Latest post on 19 May 2012 - 12:26
Also try the Linda McCartney sausages, they are really tasty! Again they get snapped up though ( Lu Lu has them)
Latest post on 19 May 2012 - 12:24
soya mince, chunks, tvp ( textured vegetable protein) is all the same thing, its just the size, if you want mince or chunks like cubes of meat. They don't have a flavour to them, so they soak up the flavour of what ever you cook them in, for example when I make the chilli, it always tastes better the next day or slow cooked to really get the flavours of the spices etc in the soya mince. Organics Cafe have 20 % off today ( 3rd Saturday of every month) and they have a selection of mock meat in the fridge section. I won't confuse you with tofu, just start off on the mock meat and see how you go!
Latest post on 19 May 2012 - 10:57
Quorn does a good range too, they have the 'mince' for making things like shepherd's pie, spag bol etc and then a huge range of breaded fillets (small and like chicken nuggets etc); burgers; sausages etc. Pretty much everything a veggie could need. :) Yes, just googled Quorn. Didn't realize they did plain mince. Might go out on the hunt for that!
Latest post on 19 May 2012 - 10:47
Quorn does a good range too, they have the 'mince' for making things like shepherd's pie, spag bol etc and then a huge range of breaded fillets (small and like chicken nuggets etc); burgers; sausages etc. Pretty much everything a veggie could need. :)
Latest post on 19 May 2012 - 10:44
Ok... this is getting complicated! I have a lot to learn!! But thanks for all the info! I do have a few questions for anyone who feels up to clarifying stuff for me. But no biggie, as will google it all. Are the soy chunks in carrefour the same thing as the Linda McC stuff? Does the Linda McC come in different 'flavors' (I was reading on line that you can get Beef TVP, Ham TVP, Chicken TVP, usage TVP... etc...) Hotpot, when you say they have a good range of Tofu in Carrefour, you're talking about the soft white stuff, right? Not too keen on that myself. I'm really looking for stuff that allows me to make believe my recipes are still being made with the same ingredients as always!! Looks like I do need to check out Lulu's though!
Latest post on 19 May 2012 - 09:41
The linda McCartney one is one of the nicest, quite hard to get hold of, so when it's in I stock up. They have soya chunks ( they call it wadi) in Carrfour in the section where you weigh your dried fruits, nuts, spices, lentils etc. It's amazing what you can make with tvp that tastes so good, chilli, cottage pie, shepards pie, burgers, thai noodle salads with wok fried soya mince. Tofu is a great substitute for eggs when baking, aswell as being great in stir frys etc, they have a good range of tofu again in Carrfour in the imported fridge sections (MOE)
Latest post on 19 May 2012 - 09:33
Thank you CycloneT!
Latest post on 18 May 2012 - 22:45
I left Dubai a year ago but always found the Linda McCartney(UK) TVP mince and Quorn (UK) mince (not soy) at Lulu Al Barsha. They also stocked Yves (Canadian) mock meats (strips, sandwich slices, not bacon, sausages, breakfast patties) in the import fridge section and Morningstar (US) burgers in a number of different varieties in the freezer area. From memory I occassionaly saw the Linda McCartney branded mince at Waitrose at the Dubai Mall and Marina Mall too. HTH
Latest post on 18 May 2012 - 20:33
Cool! Thanks pinks... Can feel myself becoming healthier already!!!
Latest post on 18 May 2012 - 19:53
Oh yes, you can use it for all sorts of meat replacements. I'm not a veggie but certainly out here eat meat less and less... You'll find a huge array of recipes if you just google TVP and whatever you want to make. Enjoy!
Latest post on 18 May 2012 - 19:24
Thanks pinks. Yes, I actually do use lentils as well as chickpeas and other beans and pulses quite a bit. But I found a recipe for "Gardener's Pie" (meatless Shep pie) and I remembered that (too many) years ago a vegetarian friend had had me round for dinner and her mum had made chili. It wasn't until half way through dinner that she asked me if I'd noticed anything. When I finally got it, I was horrified that they were eating meat!! And so they explained. Now, I have no idea if as a teenager, I didn't know any better but my memory is that it tasted just like ground beef. At least, I was none the wiser until they told me. So I'm thinking this would be a cool thing to easily convert a bunch of favorite recipes. Or does it not work that well?? Can you make 'meatballs' with it?
Latest post on 18 May 2012 - 18:52
TVP - textured vegetable protein! Haven't looked for it for a while (not my most favourite thing) but used to be available in the Organic Shop, both 'chunks' and the small 'mince' type. Can't be fussed with the soaking time. If you want a vegetarian alternative for protein, don't discount lentils, soya beans (frozen Birds Eye ones are fab), quinoa (excellent rice/cous cous replacement)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY