fetal medicine center for NT scan,any suggestions? | ExpatWoman.com

fetal medicine center for NT scan,any suggestions?

Latest post on 21 May 2012 - 16:31

Hello..i am very happy to join your blog, very helpful !
I am 9 weeks pregnant and new in Dubai. So excited for my first baby , but same time,anxious :(..
My Gyn. in the city hospital recommended me to do a scan at my 12 weeks at Fetal medicine center , which is located before the city hospital. She told me it aims to check some abnormalities as down syndrome babies..is it a normal scan that every pregnant will do it?

anyone have previous experience at FETAL MEDICINE CENTER ? any recommendations? what to expect?
thanksss all...need your help..

Latest post on 25 May 2012 - 01:29
FloridaGirl.This is a good feedback...congrats for your baby and for the good result..:)
Latest post on 24 May 2012 - 19:10
I just had my NT scan at FMC and it was FANTASTIC! I was a little worried about the bedside manor of Dr. Mirza but he was very nice and even joked around a little. The whole thing took a little over an hour for us. Had blood drawn then they did the scan while we waited for those results. Ended up with a DVD of the entire scan which I wasn't expecting. Shortly after the scan was finished we were taken back and had the results discussed. Everything was great with baby and the staff was wonderful as well. Just wanted to share a good (and recent) experience.
Latest post on 23 May 2012 - 08:44
many thanks ladies for sharing your experiences. lili 34: #my medical reference#, appreciated :) As per my Dr., at Fetal medicine, they are the only one giving the blood values and final result within 1 or 2 hours..So reducing waiting time for the final result ________less stress!!!!!! Myca: i believe you posted the better comment , wish you all the best (we may have different experiences with different clinics or doctors but all we want is the best to our babies and ourselves...I can only wish you all the best. ).. From your valuable comments, i can't wait to meet Dr. PourMirrza, and To see my baby moving around :)))))))) 3 weeks to go for..:)
Latest post on 22 May 2012 - 17:25
FMC was good for us and Dr Mirza is very knowledgeable. I thought he was okay to talk to and shared a few jokes with him actually. I guess the only comment i would have is he said he knew what *** the baby was at the 12 wk scan (was 13w2d actually) and chose not to tell me until the 20 wk. the waiting times at FMC are sometimes hideous but I used them for the 20 and 32 wk scan too and would go back should there be a next time. <em>edited by sparkly on 22/05/2012</em>
Latest post on 22 May 2012 - 15:52
Sorry to barge in... Shinynewpony: congrats for twins. I'm just about 32 weeks with twins too; been on bed rest since 16th week because of few complications. Where are you scheduled to deliver? You may drop me a line at [email protected] if you'd like to chitchat. x <em>edited by little_zuzu on 22/05/2012</em>
Latest post on 22 May 2012 - 15:21
Congratulations on your pregnancy mybaby201. :) I think many of the OB's send women to the FMC because they really are the best in the field in Dubai. When I say "best", in my personal experience they are brilliant medically speaking. Dr Mirza however, in my experience, has the personality of a wet mop crossed with a mack truck. He's blunt to the point of rudeness...but he knows his stuff and is extremely thorough. I second you green-ish...This was also my observation of Dr. Pour Mirza, so blunt and straightforward, (it should be realized that preggies are more sensitive than usual) and you are also right, he is very knowledgeable and as I have researched, this is the result of extensive medical studies, training and experience in Germany.
Latest post on 22 May 2012 - 14:55
Congratulations on your pregnancy mybaby201. :) I think many of the OB's send women to the FMC because they really are the best in the field in Dubai. When I say "best", in my personal experience they are brilliant medically speaking. Dr Mirza however, in my experience, has the personality of a wet mop crossed with a mack truck. He's blunt to the point of rudeness...but he knows his stuff and is extremely thorough.
Latest post on 22 May 2012 - 11:58
Different experiences are very valuable - I had the appointment with FMC in Feb of this year, who knows maybe things change, maybe it was an off day for them - Over all N9ne Clinic has worked out best for us. Either way mybaby2012 best of luck with the scan and keep in mind that if for any reason you are not happy then there are other clinics that have good doctors, its a personal thing at the end of the day. Re my twins, I am currently on bedrest but very thankful that we have reached 30 weeks. We visited N9ne yesterday to be told that the issue that was found in the 20 week scan (enlarged VP within the brain) hasnt grown further in the last 10 weeks even though the baby has grown, plus there are no other soft markers to suggest any further problems so no further people will be required when I deliver. :)
Latest post on 22 May 2012 - 11:39
Just wanted to add that I have been to both FMC and N9ne - first FMC for my 20 week scan and something was found - I felt that the appointment at FMC was rushed and half way through it seemed like the Dr had given up (carrying twins - he had difficulty viewing the second twin) I didnt like the way the situation of giving bad news was done at FMC - we were just told that something had been found and to come back in 3 weeks - no explanation on what it was or how it could affect my babies so we got a second opinion from N9ne - Dr George is great, if you are worried about anything at all he takes the time to discuss your worries and concerns. We didnt tell him that he was our second opinion as we didnt want to cloud his judgement. I know that FMC has been spoken about on EW before and some posters have found the Dr there skilled - IMHO the only thing that FMC were good at was taking photos of my babies. Shinynewpony, i really find your experience a lot opposite with my and my friend's experience. I can only say good things... My friend has come from the US last year carrying triplets. As she was having multiple pregnancy, she was of course, high risk (also age-wise). She was so anxious and reluctant to make a mistake of going to any OBS. I referred her to Fetal Medicine Center and had her first visit with them in February 2011. After just 1 visit, she was convinced to continue with them until delivery. She had rigorous visits and she and her babies (inside the tummy) were well taken care off. Now, she has 3 cute little babies and cannot thank Fetal Medicine Center and me (ehem! for referring her) enough. By the way, how are your twins now? mybaby2012, we may have different experiences with different clinics or doctors but all we want is the best to our babies and ourselves...I can only wish you all the best.
Latest post on 22 May 2012 - 10:28
Just wanted to add that I have been to both FMC and N9ne - first FMC for my 20 week scan and something was found - I felt that the appointment at FMC was rushed and half way through it seemed like the Dr had given up (carrying twins - he had difficulty viewing the second twin) I didnt like the way the situation of giving bad news was done at FMC - we were just told that something had been found and to come back in 3 weeks - no explanation on what it was or how it could affect my babies so we got a second opinion from N9ne - Dr George is great, if you are worried about anything at all he takes the time to discuss your worries and concerns. We didnt tell him that he was our second opinion as we didnt want to cloud his judgement. I know that FMC has been spoken about on EW before and some posters have found the Dr there skilled - IMHO the only thing that FMC were good at was taking photos of my babies.
Latest post on 22 May 2012 - 09:38
Hello..i am very happy to join your blog, very helpful ! I am 9 weeks pregnant and new in Dubai. So excited for my first baby , but same time,anxious :(.. My Gyn. in the city hospital recommended me to do a scan at my 12 weeks at Fetal medicine center , which is located before the city hospital. She told me it aims to check some abnormalities as down syndrome babies..is it a normal scan that every pregnant will do it? anyone have previous experience at FETAL MEDICINE CENTER ? any recommendations? what to expect? thanksss all...need your help.. Hi there, just to add that you shouldn't worry about the scan at all, it's just a more detailed external ultrasound and a blood test as mentioned by some of the ladies. If the results indicate a high risk then you would be advised of further tests you can do, but then it becomes a question of whether the result would change the outcome of your pregnancy, as Lilli34 mentioned and that is such a personal matter that I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. If you have a hard time getting an appointment at FMC there is also N9NE medical center a block away from City hospital where you can do it; I believe some City doctors refer patients there too, you may want to check. Don't worry about it too much, it's more of a formality these days. Enjoy your pregnancy!
Latest post on 22 May 2012 - 07:38
Hello..i am very happy to join your blog, very helpful ! I am 9 weeks pregnant and new in Dubai. So excited for my first baby , but same time,anxious :(.. My Gyn. in the city hospital recommended me to do a scan at my 12 weeks at Fetal medicine center , which is located before the city hospital. She told me it aims to check some abnormalities as down syndrome babies..is it a normal scan that every pregnant will do it? anyone have previous experience at FETAL MEDICINE CENTER ? any recommendations? what to expect? thanksss all...need your help.. first of all congratulations on your "good news"! We are not experts here but all we can do is to give you bit of info that we know. NT scan is just an ultrasound on the tummy to mainly measure the back of the neck of the baby which is called nuchal translucency and also the dr. will measure your baby. Did ur Obs refer you to do the blood test at the same time? I am asking because according to my experience, there is also a blood test to complete the assessment. but as what was mentioned, it is a risk assessment of how likely or unlikely that your baby has chromosomal abnormalities... with regards to the experience in Fetal Medicine Center, yeah, I was referred there. It was quite difficult to get an appointment, so, make sure you book ahead of time, you don't want to lose time. It was a great experience though cause I got my full results in just one sitting (but a long one, expect to be there for more than an hour!). I have seen both the Doctors there cause I came back for the following scans. Both are straightforward. The result of the NT scan was well explained. :):)
Latest post on 21 May 2012 - 19:23
The NT scan combined with a bloodtest, does not diagnose any genetical abnormality, but tells you how likely it is that in this current pregnancy the baby might have one of a number of chromosomal abnormalities. If your result should show a high probability of a genetical abnormality, that still doesn"t mean your baby will be sick it just says that there is a higher than for your age group average risk. In this case you will be reffered to further, testing that will actually diagnose any genetical deffects. As with many tests you don't have to do it if you don't want to. I was very reluctant to have it done with this pregnancy as the test itself carried a tail of questions with it that I found very difficult to address and also as I knew for certain that I would have never agreed to any further invasive tests due to their risk of causing a miscariage. I am still not sure about the benefit of knowing at such an early stage that there is something wrong as a termination would have never been an option for myself. In the end after long discussions with DH i did the whole test and it was absolutely easy to do: a long ultrasound, during which the Dr already could give me some assurance and a blood sample. I am surprised though that you can't get the scan and bloodtest at the hospital you are seeing your doctor at. I had mine at welcare, where I also have my doctor. I never had this test with my first baby as this combined screening is relatively new. Plus they do recommend it more once you've hit the 35 year mark....
Latest post on 21 May 2012 - 16:38
Hi, I started a thread on NT scans this week and the ladies were very helpful. Have a look: http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=180630

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY