First time mum - daft questions re when out and about with baby | ExpatWoman.com

First time mum - daft questions re when out and about with baby

Latest post on 15 July 2012 - 14:22

I have some silly questions:

1. When you're out in a mall etc and you need to go to the loo, what do you do with the baby? Do you have to just find a really large or disabled cubicle so you can take the pram in with you ? I presume so otherwise the only option would be to leave the baby in the pram outside the cubicle - or is this what people generally do when there aren't any large cubicles?

2. I notice lots of the escalators in the malls say 'no prams'. Is it really that dangerous to balance a pram on one? I have seen loads of people do it. Seems like quite a hassle to have to use the lift everytime.

Latest post on 05 August 2012 - 16:37
Actually I found that a lot of malls have baby changing facilities for men. Dubai Mall, MOE, Deira City Center definitely have them. But if somewhere where there aren't any, I would recommend changing in the pram.e As for riding on the excalator with the pram: I wouldn't recommend it, but saying that I have done it and if there is no other way I will do it. Back home it often is the only way out of the underground stations (when elevators are out of order or too disgusting to be used). I find going up the escalator with the pram easier than going down. In any case I would always go on the escalator with me standing lower than the pram, that means stepping on the stairs first when going down with the pram behind you - just be carefull to step off the escalator on time. Just before you get off (when the stairs become flat) put more weight on the front wheels and therefore slightly lift the back wheels over the edge of the end part of the escalator. Upwards you push the pram on the stairs first and step on behind holding the handle of the pram upwards so the pram is in an even position. just before it's time to get off (when the stairs are becomming flat) put more weight on the back wheels to prevent the front wheels jamming at the end of the escalator, kind of like getting over a curb. BUT even though I have done it quite a few times, I would only do that if there is no reasonable way to use an elevator. And all the malls here have plenty of elevators or those ramp like escalators one can take the grocery cart on to. SO, although it is possible to take the pram on the escalator I wouldn't do it if there is a working elevator. <em>edited by Lilli34 on 05/08/2012</em>
Latest post on 05 August 2012 - 14:10
I wouldn't recommend using the escalator with a stroller. I have almost had an accident when the brake line broke and got stuck in the escalator. I was stuck at the top and people were jamming up behind me. Luckily I pushed really hard and it came free but scared me to death!
Latest post on 05 August 2012 - 10:42
Mamas and papas and mother are will both give them a place if they are in one of the malls. My husband often used the boot of our 4x4 but it's a bit hot for that at the moment.
Latest post on 04 August 2012 - 19:52
basically do it in the pram or go into a changing room in a shop.
Latest post on 04 August 2012 - 17:27
Another question of a similar nature thats been bugging me over the last few days is that i've noticed that all the baby changing facilities seem to be in the ladies bathrooms, so what if baby and daddy are out alone together and baby needs changing - where can daddy's go to get them sorted?
Latest post on 03 August 2012 - 00:32
I do the same as the previous poster. You can also ask the cleaning lady who is in there to watch your child for a minute. Those women are usually very friendly and welcoming to children.
Latest post on 03 August 2012 - 00:23
1) When I've had to, I use the last cubicle & leave the door ajar & make faces at baby, so she doesn't scream. Too bad if someone sees me... I've given birth- people have seen worse! But ideally I find a disabled or parents room loo. 2) 50:50 I use the escalator/lift, depends if I have my light pram or my big pushchair & how steep the escalator is/how much stuff is jammed into my basket underneath. No one has ever said anything. You'de just feel like a numpty if you lost your balance or something...
Latest post on 16 July 2012 - 22:11
1)I use the disabled toilets with the pram with no troubles :) 2)If I am with a friend or my husband we use the escalator.
Latest post on 15 July 2012 - 14:47
Not sure where you live in Dubai, but at MCC the baby change room has its own toilet inside it, I just use that one as then I can lock DD in with me. Also on the lower ground level at Dubai mall (opposite Organic Cafe) there is also a toilet cubicle that has baby change facilities in it, therefore big enough to take your pram in if you need the toilet. I think the 'no prams' on escalators is probably to cover themselves (the venue) should an accident happen (?) I take my pram on the travelators but I personally wouldn't take it on an escalator. I guess it just depends on what your comfortable doing. <em>edited by shellly on 15/07/2012</em>
Latest post on 15 July 2012 - 14:31
1) either leave the baby outside the cubicle (I feel safe doing this in qatar but might not feel the same back home) or yes, usually I use the disabled toilet. I try to avoid bring the baby near the loo as often as possible though as I hate taking a baby into such a germ haven. 2) I think the concern is probably more what would happen if the escalator stopped and you were stuck half way up. It is a pain to use the lifts but I usually do unless with my husband. <em>edited by kiwispiers on 15/07/2012</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY