Umm Ali recipe? | ExpatWoman.com

Umm Ali recipe?

Latest post on 20 July 2012 - 10:35

Please share your recipe. It's my DH's fav and i'd like to make it for him:)

Latest post on 21 July 2015 - 15:03
Please share your recipe. It's my DH's fav and i'd like to make it for him:) Hi :) here is the original recipe (i'm an Egyptian) 4 Puff pastry (ready ones) 1 litre milk 1\2 cup of suger 1 tea spoon vanilla extract 1 cup thick cream 1 cup nutes method: put the puff pastry in the oven till its golden brown warm the milk add the vanilla, half cup of the cream and the suger and mix them in a oven pan put a layer of puff pastry after crushing it then milk then nuts, add the rest of the puff pastry , milk then cream then nuts put it in a pre-heating oven (medium heat) for a bout 10 mins or when the cream get the gold nice color.
Latest post on 21 July 2015 - 08:25
I use puff pastry , I bake the squares until they puff and get golden, then I break Into pieces. I prefer orange blossom over rose water. I think this is the original recipe, the way it was and should be made. Mine is the lazy person's version, with lots of calories added :sleeping:
Latest post on 20 July 2015 - 15:55
I use puff pastry , I bake the squares until they puff and get golden, then I break Into pieces. I prefer orange blossom over rose water.
Latest post on 20 July 2015 - 14:25
Imho, the following recipe is the best ive ever tasted. 5 verrry large plain croissants, torn into pieces, sprinkled with pistachio nuts and blanched chopped almonds, a small handful of raisins and placed into an ovenproof dish. In a pot heat 3 cups milk, 1 cup cream and 1 small tin sweetened condensed milk. When hot, add 1/3 cup rose water. Then pour over croissants. Put into a hot oven till golden on top. TO DIE FOR :) Most hotels do it this way. I personally cant stand raisins so I dont add it and I also do not add the rose water. It is definitely a delicious recipe. Hi Appletiser - haven't made this yet but would love to. Do you add anything else in place of rose water? You can use orange blossom water, or you could probably use vanilla essence, or be adventurous and use lemon zest and a bit of it's juice, anything really!!
Latest post on 20 July 2015 - 14:23
Imho, the following recipe is the best ive ever tasted. 5 verrry large plain croissants, torn into pieces, sprinkled with pistachio nuts and blanched chopped almonds, a small handful of raisins and placed into an ovenproof dish. In a pot heat 3 cups milk, 1 cup cream and 1 small tin sweetened condensed milk. When hot, add 1/3 cup rose water. Then pour over croissants. Put into a hot oven till golden on top. TO DIE FOR :) Most hotels do it this way. I personally cant stand raisins so I dont add it and I also do not add the rose water. It is definitely a delicious recipe. I beg to differ. Hotels use left over pastry or bread, and to me is like Plg-slop. If you compare this recipe with the ones you have at hotels and restaurants there's a vast difference!!
Latest post on 18 July 2015 - 15:59
Imho, the following recipe is the best ive ever tasted. 5 verrry large plain croissants, torn into pieces, sprinkled with pistachio nuts and blanched chopped almonds, a small handful of raisins and placed into an ovenproof dish. In a pot heat 3 cups milk, 1 cup cream and 1 small tin sweetened condensed milk. When hot, add 1/3 cup rose water. Then pour over croissants. Put into a hot oven till golden on top. TO DIE FOR :) Most hotels do it this way. I personally cant stand raisins so I dont add it and I also do not add the rose water. It is definitely a delicious recipe. Hi Appletiser - haven't made this yet but would love to. Do you add anything else in place of rose water? I skipped the rose water , didn't have it. Still it turned out nice. It's for giving it a traditional fragrance but can be skipped if you don't want to.
Latest post on 18 July 2015 - 15:00
Imho, the following recipe is the best ive ever tasted. 5 verrry large plain croissants, torn into pieces, sprinkled with pistachio nuts and blanched chopped almonds, a small handful of raisins and placed into an ovenproof dish. In a pot heat 3 cups milk, 1 cup cream and 1 small tin sweetened condensed milk. When hot, add 1/3 cup rose water. Then pour over croissants. Put into a hot oven till golden on top. TO DIE FOR :) Most hotels do it this way. I personally cant stand raisins so I dont add it and I also do not add the rose water. It is definitely a delicious recipe. Hi Appletiser - haven't made this yet but would love to. Do you add anything else in place of rose water?
Latest post on 18 July 2015 - 13:52
Imho, the following recipe is the best ive ever tasted. 5 verrry large plain croissants, torn into pieces, sprinkled with pistachio nuts and blanched chopped almonds, a small handful of raisins and placed into an ovenproof dish. In a pot heat 3 cups milk, 1 cup cream and 1 small tin sweetened condensed milk. When hot, add 1/3 cup rose water. Then pour over croissants. Put into a hot oven till golden on top. TO DIE FOR :) Most hotels do it this way. I personally cant stand raisins so I dont add it and I also do not add the rose water. It is definitely a delicious recipe.
Latest post on 18 July 2015 - 12:34
Thanks for the recipe. Made it for brunch today and it was yummmm! I would also recommend adding some vanilla for an explosion of taste.
Latest post on 17 July 2015 - 22:36
Tried this today for eid breakfast and it was delicious. Very well received. Thank you for posting. I'm so glad you liked it. I created it from a mixture of recipes. To be honest after eating this you will never enjoy umm ali anywhere else. It's always disappointing when I have it in restaurants now ?
Latest post on 17 July 2015 - 12:50
Tried this today for eid breakfast and it was delicious. Very well received. Thank you for posting.
Latest post on 16 July 2015 - 13:53
Imho, the following recipe is the best ive ever tasted. 5 verrry large plain croissants, torn into pieces, sprinkled with pistachio nuts and blanched chopped almonds, a small handful of raisins and placed into an ovenproof dish. In a pot heat 3 cups milk, 1 cup cream and 1 small tin sweetened condensed milk. When hot, add 1/3 cup rose water. Then pour over croissants. Put into a hot oven till golden on top. TO DIE FOR :) oh my gosh!im gonna copy paste this!!!!!i so love this! Very kind of you to post this recipe!
Latest post on 21 July 2012 - 13:58
Imho, the following recipe is the best ive ever tasted. 5 verrry large plain croissants, torn into pieces, sprinkled with pistachio nuts and blanched chopped almonds, a small handful of raisins and placed into an ovenproof dish. In a pot heat 3 cups milk, 1 cup cream and 1 small tin sweetened condensed milk. When hot, add 1/3 cup rose water. Then pour over croissants. Put into a hot oven till golden on top. TO DIE FOR :) oh my gosh!im gonna copy paste this!!!!!i so love this!
Latest post on 21 July 2012 - 04:17
Imho, the following recipe is the best ive ever tasted. 5 verrry large plain croissants, torn into pieces, sprinkled with pistachio nuts and blanched chopped almonds, a small handful of raisins and placed into an ovenproof dish. In a pot heat 3 cups milk, 1 cup cream and 1 small tin sweetened condensed milk. When hot, add 1/3 cup rose water. Then pour over croissants. Put into a hot oven till golden on top. TO DIE FOR :)
Latest post on 20 July 2012 - 10:44
They had a really good recipe in the magazine 'Friday' is it a newspaper insert? not sure, I took a photo of it I remember. But it was like over a year ago :( I will see if I can find it, as I'm also a fan of this dish. Best hotel one I've had so far is at Al Bustan Rotana (near Airport) ........and I've had some not so clever ones, this one by far the best. Hopefully someone can give us a recipe in the meantime. Report back IF I find it.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY