Cloth Diaper - any recommendations | ExpatWoman.com

Cloth Diaper - any recommendations

Latest post on 13 August 2012 - 11:15

Hi there,

I am a first time mom to be and just heard about cloth diaper.

Can you help me to decide if it is really practical to invest on a cloth diaper.
I watch youtube pertaining to the same and just found out that they come in different varieties. I am now so confused which type i need to pick.

I wanted something that i can use from day 1 till 2 years old (till my boy potty trained)

Can you recommend brands, types and how much are they?
How many items i should start with? (If i will be washing the diapers every 3 days)

Thanks,

hassli

Latest post on 11 September 2012 - 15:20
Just bumping up for Green-ish and the other cloth diaper mamas :) Any recommendations for big babies? Has anyone used the Itti Bitti Tutto?
Latest post on 10 September 2012 - 14:05
Where to buy tea tree oil? I saw one in boots by 80AED , im looking for sth cheaper ;) I get mine from Holland and Barrett. As for diapers, our stash so far includes Tots Bots, BumGenius, Thirsties, Rumparooz, Kawaii, and Alvas.
Latest post on 10 September 2012 - 10:34
I've been using cloth diapers for DD since she was a few months old and love them. We've been using the Itti Bitti (love them!), a few Cushie Tushies (very cute, but too bulky when she was little! Okay now) and Bonnibuns. The Bonnibuns were great until recently but I think she has outgrown them now. The elastic legs leave red marks on her chubby thighs and they leak (wee) if I leave one on for nap time. She is 22 months old and 15kgs. Should I be adding additional inserts in the Bonnibuns for naptimes? Also, for those of you who have larger babies, which cloth diapers worked best? I am thinking of buying some more Itti Bittis but I see that the large only goes up to 16.5kgs so should I look at ordering the Tutto instead? Any other brands that work well for larger babies? i bought lots of bonnibuns and i have a larger baby.so suffice it to say i used them for only 2.5 months. he is now 4 month old and is chubby, bonnibuns left a elastic marks on his thighs. out of urgency i bought 2 from babyshop (jeans style) and they are better then bonnibuns till the time i find another. they are lightweight as compared to bonnibuns who were too bulky! so if you find another i would be very interested. i have 1 itti bitti too and it is also working fine.
Latest post on 10 September 2012 - 00:11
Where to buy tea tree oil? I saw one in boots by 80AED , im looking for sth cheaper ;)
Latest post on 08 September 2012 - 23:33
I've been using cloth diapers for DD since she was a few months old and love them. We've been using the Itti Bitti (love them!), a few Cushie Tushies (very cute, but too bulky when she was little! Okay now) and Bonnibuns. The Bonnibuns were great until recently but I think she has outgrown them now. The elastic legs leave red marks on her chubby thighs and they leak (wee) if I leave one on for nap time. She is 22 months old and 15kgs. Should I be adding additional inserts in the Bonnibuns for naptimes? Also, for those of you who have larger babies, which cloth diapers worked best? I am thinking of buying some more Itti Bittis but I see that the large only goes up to 16.5kgs so should I look at ordering the Tutto instead? Any other brands that work well for larger babies?
Latest post on 29 August 2012 - 23:52
Hi there mommies! I am selling Alva Baby reusable cloth diapers. Just 35dhs per piece. Google it out for review. If you are interested you can send me email on irsantiano at yahoo dot com. Thanks! Happy Cloth diapering! :)
Latest post on 18 August 2012 - 03:12
My fave to use were the Tots Bots and Happy Heineys. I drove to Dragon mart and bought 20 microfiber hand-towels. Used them as additional absorbent stuffing. Have fun! :) Thanks for the reminder! I can't believe I forgot to mention Tots. Such a shame the local distributor is no longer selling them. I LOVE Tots and would highly recommend looking at their website to consider them as an option.
Latest post on 18 August 2012 - 03:10
Which itti bittis do you ladies like? I'm going to try them with number 2 when he/she comes along. Do you use the sized or one size style? The all in one, or snap in one? I use Baby cheeks as they were a baby shower gift. I like cloth nappies however these are really bulky. Great for when your LO is learning how to toddle though, as its nice soft landing. Also note that all the plastic film lining on the red And the yellow ones seperated in the wash in the first month. They were replaced by Dubai baby pretty easily though, as they said it was a bad batch. I wouldn't use these cloth nappies when my LO sleeps, as that is when he dirties them the most. I find no matter what size setting thy are on, the are great for number 1s but they can't handle a number 2 at all! Easy to wash though, and I love that they grow with your baby. I'm sure there are better options out there. Hi flydiver. My itti's a getting pretty old! They are all itti bitti d'lish and I love them. They are a sized nappy, so I think the newer style Tutto's would be the way to go if someone is looking for a birth-to-potty nappy. I found the Baby Cheeks to be a good daytime nappy. I agree you have to add extra layers and make them a bit bulky if they need to last for any period of time. The only leaks (No1's or No2's) I ever had were with disposable nappies. Maybe you could go and talk to one of the cloth nappy sellers and check the fit of your nappies on your baby?? If they are correctly fitted, they will not leak. Such a shame to have all of those lovely nappies and not be using them to their fullest potential. :D
Latest post on 17 August 2012 - 20:36
Which itti bittis do you ladies like? I'm going to try them with number 2 when he/she comes along. Do you use the sized or one size style? The all in one, or snap in one? I use Baby cheeks as they were a baby shower gift. I like cloth nappies however these are really bulky. Great for when your LO is learning how to toddle though, as its nice soft landing. Also note that all the plastic film lining on the red And the yellow ones seperated in the wash in the first month. They were replaced by Dubai baby pretty easily though, as they said it was a bad batch. I wouldn't use these cloth nappies when my LO sleeps, as that is when he dirties them the most. I find no matter what size setting thy are on, the are great for number 1s but they can't handle a number 2 at all! Easy to wash though, and I love that they grow with your baby. I'm sure there are better options out there.
Latest post on 17 August 2012 - 20:27
My fave to use were the Tots Bots and Happy Heineys. I drove to Dragon mart and bought 20 microfiber hand-towels. Used them as additional absorbent stuffing. Have fun! :)
Latest post on 17 August 2012 - 15:37
Yay...another cloth discussion! :D Shame I don't have time for my usual long ramble. (or not, lol) I'm a massive fan of itti bitti's and Baby Beehinds...both Australian brands. I've tried every BumGenius version until about 18 months ago, and I'm not thrilled with any of them. None of my BumGenius nappies have lasted like the other brands have. There's a GREAT site from the UK - The Nappy Lady. - http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/submitTAQ.asp Obligation free advice and a great way to learn all about the different styles and brands of nappies out there. I never got to meet Sophia, but I'd highly recommend seeing her and any cloth-using Mummas so you can see and touch cloth nappies. It's SO hard to work out what might work for you just by looking at websites. Good luck on your cloth journey! Great decision for your little one. :D <em>edited by Green-ish on 17/08/2012</em>
Latest post on 15 August 2012 - 14:53
I second itti bittis. I bought mine from lovely Sophia who runs mayangels here. she also has cushie tushies... i agree they are absolutely adorable with fantastic designs i just find them to be a little broad, so prefer itti bittis :-).
Latest post on 15 August 2012 - 10:44
I have 10 white Tots Bots for sale with bucket. I used them for one child and saved money so well worth it. I washed every 2 or 3 days, it depended on my work schedule and when I had time. I found it very easy. My email is my username followed by gmail.com if you are interested.
Latest post on 14 August 2012 - 21:32
Oh, the Happy Flute diapers are available on eBay for $45 USD and they will ship to the UAE.
Latest post on 14 August 2012 - 21:31
I helped with my cousin's old school tri-fold and velcro cloth diapers. That was with a diaper service however. So now that we're expecting our first at the beginning of December and after several friends' success with cloth diapers, I've decided this is the route for me. I purchased BumGenius 4.0s -24pack (Pocket-type, velcro closure) for $374 US (this included shipping and two inserts) and receieved a gift of 10-pack Happy Flute (pocket type, snap closure) as well. Both are very nice. Info on both can be found at www.diaperswappers.com . An awesome site not only for parenting advice, but there is a forum for exchange as well if you're not opposed to second-hand or deep-discount items.
Latest post on 14 August 2012 - 09:27
i love using cloth nappies. Have been using them since my twins were born and they are 1 now. my cloth nappies are from australia called CUSHIE TUSHIES so dont know if they deliver here but they are so cute. with great designs on the outside so in the warm weather they pass as pants aswell. I do a wash everyday because i have twins. i just leave nappies in dry bucket with no lid ontop and theres never any smells. wash the poos down the toilet with the hose and thats it.
Latest post on 13 August 2012 - 22:18
Just a vote for itty bitty brand. Used them for DS with washable and biodegradable disposable inserts. Found them to be best AND cutest type. Also used a variety of others, most of which were all good too and used to wash about once every two to three days in first year and bit less after that. He was dry day and night just after second birthday which I put down to his faster understanding of the issue since he felt wet quicker than if he had been using the forever dry disposables. Used to store dirty nappies in bucket with few drops of tea tree oil which masked the pong really well. Good luck.
Latest post on 13 August 2012 - 22:12
http://www.expatwoman.com/abudhabi/forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=167284
Latest post on 13 August 2012 - 22:04
Thx for posting! I was about to ask the same thing, off to search from the forum.
Latest post on 13 August 2012 - 14:00
Bumgenius all in ones are the best and I have used a couple of othere. I have been using them on dd since birth. (She is 5 months old) 20-25 is a good amount for every other day washing. x
Latest post on 13 August 2012 - 13:47
cloth diapers are good. for as long as baby's skin can be free of disposable diapers,despite the stay dry advertisements, its better. after recommendations here, there was a thread some time back probably in march about cloth diapers, i bought cloth diapers. i like using them although now they are becoming useless. i bought bonnibuns (all in one) but my ds has outgrown them in 4 months :( so whichever brand you go don't get a loadful of diapers. buy only few as your baby might outgrow them. there was one lady selling bumgenius few months back on dubizzle. might want to check that. as for the washing, yes machine loads do increase after the baby. i wash baby's nappies every alternate day in the " charm" non bio detergent from c4 separately. i have started using shorts and pyjamas for him along with the cloth diapers. normally 10-15 times a day he wets apart from the "bum time" :) of 1 hr or so. so you can have an idea if you are washing in 3 days. as for the brands check i think they have ittibitti at the moment. you can either use disposable inserts or the washable one. i made my own. bought a soft towel like cloth from satwa and cut it into rectangle pieces as the inserts which came with bonnibuns i felt were too thick for ds's legs. there is one lady who sells starter kit in times square in arte souk. i don't know much as i read it on forum only. also there is mayangels (google her) who sells cloth diapers. i think the adjustable one from bumgenius one are so far best.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY