New job, juggling children and limited budget - HELP! | ExpatWoman.com

New job, juggling children and limited budget - HELP!

Latest post on 30 August 2012 - 19:35
If I were in your shoes, I'd get a helper who could drive (well), a really responsible lady who you could trust to pick them up, take them home, give them lunch etc. It seems the transport you are thinking about is expensive and doesn't really solve your problem. You would probably be better paying a higher salary for a great helper, than money for transport and then money for a maid too. JMO. btw, most employers are pretty flexible too, once you have proven your worth and shown you will make up time/work extra when required etc, you'll probably find they have no problem with you taking longer here or there. Good luck with your new job. :)
Latest post on 30 August 2012 - 16:37
CABear... I really do admire your enthusiasm to work etc... But I do have to say... You have 3 children so working in Dubai was never going to be a go show unless you had someone here to help you with the school runs, parents days, kiddies sick days etc... Embrace the "challlenges" ( Hmmmm.... Remember those!!lol) And if need be spend any spare time retraining... But above all, enjoy your children... They are priceless and they WILL grow up x
Latest post on 30 August 2012 - 16:18
I agree - do not say anything to prospective employer at this stage. If it does go through, great! Then think of options: perhaps using this forum or other mums forums to ask for ideas or help or carpooling. You will be surprised at the response!
Latest post on 30 August 2012 - 12:25
Thanks emmsie. I think you are right. I just phoned the school to see what payment options I might have and I can pay for just one way on the bus at 60% which is still over 5000aed but more manageable. I am asking to see if we can pay it by term and am waiting for the accounts manager to get back to me - fingers crossed!
Latest post on 30 August 2012 - 11:58
What a difficult situation and I wish you the best of luck with the interview. I would advise you to say nothing for now. If you're offered the job, see if you could find someone who could do the pick up for you if you did the drop off for them. Use EW or a local community forum, if there is one, to find someone. If you can't find anyone to help, then speak to your employers. I'd keep quiet for now, you don't want to put them off. Good luck! edited by emmsie on 30/08/2012 <em>edited by emmsie on 30/08/2012</em>
Latest post on 30 August 2012 - 11:49
I recently started looking for work and was fortunate enough to get an interview yesterday for a promising job and go for a second interview today (YAY!). Now, after doing some number crunching last night I am freaking out a bit. I have 3 children, one is starting KG2 this September and the other two are under 2 years old. My plan is to hire a maid/nanny either live in or out. I am realizing how difficult it will be to arrange school runs and to hire a maid. We are on a limited budget (hence the need for me to go back to work) and the cost of hiring a maid is daunting but somewhat manageable. School bus transportation is 8800aed payable up front and there is just no way we can afford this. Dropping off at school in the morning shouldn't be a problem but picking up at 1:15 would have to be done by myself. Do you think it's reasonable to ask my prospective employer for a longer lunch break and stay longer at the end of the day? I don't want to lower my chances of getting the job but this is a reality that I have to deal with. My son will be attending Nibras school and I don't know anyone else with kids going to this school otherwise we could perhaps work out carpooling of sorts. We really could use the money that this job would provide but the upfront costs just seem unmanageable. My husband and I both work in food and beverage and although we can make better money here than at home it still is difficult for us to live here on our relatively low incomes. What to do? EW has always been so helpful in the past, I would love some advice/ideas on what I can do.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY