Birth of US citzen in Dubai | ExpatWoman.com

Birth of US citzen in Dubai

Latest post on 07 November 2012 - 13:34

Hey everyone in due in 4 days and had questions about obtaining the US citizenship/ passport for my LO. Both me and my husband are US citizens. Has anyone gone through this process recently. . What paperwork specifically is needed to prove residency. How long did the process take to guys. Thanks for the help.

Latest post on 08 November 2012 - 08:52
AnonDubai replied : It's a very quick process once you go to the appointment. I was able to book the appointment before my son was born and I got his passport and CRBA less than two weeks later. Go on to the US Consulate's website. All the info is there and it is very concise. Thanks for the reply. I was wondering what paperwork you brought to prove you lived there and how much proof they require? Thanks for your help Hi! I contacted the guidance counselor of the high school that I went to and she sent me all my school transcripts from kindergarten until high school graduation! That was enough proof.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 08 November 2012 - 08:11
Thanks Lally for the idea, I shall write a letter to the minister in Australia - certainly it could not hurt. We are in a terrible situation. I think one reason they will issue the passport is that my husband is not an Australian citizen. It should not matter, however. They are happy to continue giving him visit visas and even residency should we elect to want to live in Australia but not our daughter!!!!! Insane!!!!!!!
Latest post on 08 November 2012 - 07:16
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering what paperwork you brought to prove you lived there and how much proof they require? Thanks for your helpIt can be anything from income tax returns to school transcripts to utility bills. As I am an American born abroad, I had to prove 5 years lived in the US after the age of 14, which I did with school transcripts. This is purely curiosity on my part, but if your home nation (be it UK, US or wherever) wont recognise your child and issue a passport, what happens? How does the child get a passport as the UAE wont issue one either?
Latest post on 08 November 2012 - 01:08
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering what paperwork you brought to prove you lived there and how much proof they require? Thanks for your helpIt can be anything from income tax returns to school transcripts to utility bills. As I am an American born abroad, I had to prove 5 years lived in the US after the age of 14, which I did with school transcripts. Were they official transcripts. I have my college transcript which covers 5 years but its not official.
Latest post on 08 November 2012 - 00:56
From what I was told, short visits/holidays in the US etc are not necessarily accepted as proof of residence there. I am a US citizen, my entire family is American but i am married to a non US person and as I cannot prove that I have spent a total of 5 years in the US, of which 3 need to be after the age of 14, I had to go to the US to have my first baby and will be heading there again in Jan for the delivery of the second. It is very frustrating but they were quite clear at the Consulate that you have to be able to prove it through either school transcripts or tax filing. So even though I was born there and lived there until I was 3 and then have spent a total of more than 3 years after the age of 14, but as there is not really any way to prove through documentation that I was there from 0-3 or the many long summer visits etc, I was told my child's chances of getting a US passport if she was born here were very slim! In the past, US passports weren't even stamped half the time upon entry or exit so they do not take that as valid proof if you were just visiting several times over that period.
Latest post on 08 November 2012 - 00:41
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering what paperwork you brought to prove you lived there and how much proof they require? Thanks for your helpIt can be anything from income tax returns to school transcripts to utility bills. As I am an American born abroad, I had to prove 5 years lived in the US after the age of 14, which I did with school transcripts.
Latest post on 08 November 2012 - 00:07
If you look at the forms, it asks you to fill out all the dates you were in/out of the country. It's a long process if you come from an airline family like me where we would take short vacations multiple times a year. I had to pull out my old passports for the exact dates.
Latest post on 07 November 2012 - 23:39
AnonDubai replied : It's a very quick process once you go to the appointment. I was able to book the appointment before my son was born and I got his passport and CRBA less than two weeks later. Go on to the US Consulate's website. All the info is there and it is very concise. Thanks for the reply. I was wondering what paperwork you brought to prove you lived there and how much proof they require? Thanks for your help
Latest post on 07 November 2012 - 19:05
FYI: The current US law is that any child born to an American abroad is by default American if the parent can prove a certain number of years of residency in the USA. Only one parent needs to be American and children conceived out of wedlock are not excluded.
Latest post on 07 November 2012 - 19:04
Something else to bear in mind is your future grandchildren's citizenship if your son/daughter is born abroad. This will depend on whom your son/daughter marries and where their children are born. For example, as applies to the UK, I was born abroad but as both my parents were born in the UK (notice the 'born' not just have a UK passport) I was entitled to citizenship. Although I married a Brit, (he was born in the UK) I was told to be very careful where I had my children (ie in the UK) to ensure they would also be entitled to citizenship. Rules change all the time and being born outside your home country can have far reaching consequences although I appreciate some people will have little choice in the matter as my parents didn't. Best of luck mrsb, a horrible situation to be in and I feel for you. I don't know if it would help in your situation (and I appreciate you are not from the UK) but I wrote to my Member of Parliament when I had a 'passport issue', he raised it with the Foreign Office and it all got resolved. Maybe another avenue for you to persue?
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 07 November 2012 - 18:49
Even though I am Australian and not American, I offered my experience as I believe that both countries are similar regarding this matter. So, you must be careful with the paperwork, ensure everything is perfects, dates and names are perfect - not a letter out of place. etc. Good luck with your application.
Latest post on 07 November 2012 - 18:39
The point here being - citizenship by descent is NOT automatic anymore!! that's terrible!! Hope it works out for you! I don't know if it is the same for Australians and Americans--but indeed a warning--I would have assumed the same in your position.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 07 November 2012 - 18:36
Be careful!!! I am an Australian citizen and gave birth to my youngest child in Pakistan. Thinking that she would automatically be eligible for citizenship as I am 7th generation of my family - both sides, to be born in Australia, I did not bother to apply for it immediately. I applied for it last April - initially the application was flatly rejected. I have since supplied them with even more evidence and am waiting for their final decision. it has been a long and very upsetting process. Should they reject it, she will not even be eligible for a visit visa until she is 18 years old!!!!! We will never be able to go home as a family!!! The point here being - citizenship by descent is NOT automatic anymore!!
Latest post on 07 November 2012 - 16:43
Hi SCMama, I just google US Consulate Dubai and get my info :) Here are your links: http://dubai.usconsulate.gov/first_time_passports.html and: http://dubai.usconsulate.gov/birth_abroad.html If you have Adobe Reader installed on your computer,you can print out all the forms, fill them out at home and bring to the consulate. For the baby pix, we usually take a photo of our newborn (at least one ear showing) against a white bedsheet or white sofa on the digital camera, then take it to Rose Kodak studio in the Jumeira Centre (Tim Hortons and Magrudy's) on Beach Road, where they print out the photos according to the US passport specs. Finally, there's a company called Baby Steps that will do most of the leg work for you, for a fee, if your husband's company doesn't have a willing PRO guy to run around town.
Latest post on 07 November 2012 - 16:40
It's a very quick process once you go to the appointment. I was able to book the appointment before my son was born and I got his passport and CRBA less than two weeks later. Go on to the US Consulate's website. All the info is there and it is very concise.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY