Best Pumpkin Pie in Dubai?? | ExpatWoman.com

Best Pumpkin Pie in Dubai??

Latest post on 21 November 2012 - 19:14

Where can I find the best Pumpkin Pie in Dubai? Now that the holiday season is here, I've been craving my Pop's amazing pumpkin pie. I doubt it would make the flight over, so will settle for the best in Dubai.

Any suggestions? TIA

Latest post on 25 December 2012 - 09:16
Merry Christmas! Okay, pumpkin pie update: Well, there was no heavy cream to be found yesterday, so I 'winged it" with some double cream and milk. Pie is having trouble setting, but I can't bake it any more or the crust will burn. I don't know if this was because I used double cream + milk, or because my oven is unpredictable and rather useless. So I googled "help, my pumpkin pie won't set." Thank goodness for yahoo answers. A chef's advice was that sometimes it needs to set cold and won't set in the oven. If, like myself, you are not a baking extraordinaire I thought I might pass this tip on in case any of you are experiencing the same issue. I used Paula Deen's recipe and know some of you are trying it for the first time.
Latest post on 22 December 2012 - 12:29
Good luck, 49! I wonder how many homes around Dubai are going to be rockin' some Paula Deen this Christmas, ha!
Latest post on 22 December 2012 - 10:00
Thank you so much for all your suggestions!! For Thanksgiving I found a fantastic Pumpkin Pie at Bakers & Spice...so good! For Christmas I'm venturing into new territory and baking my own (except the crust). Going out right now to find the crust and all ingredients for the Paula Dean recipe. Wish me luck...will let you know how it turns out!
Latest post on 22 December 2012 - 01:56
Lol sounds like me Beebers... hence the many questions ;) Ok will give it a try - unfortunately don't have time to experiment both ways as it's too close to Christmas now so will just keep my fingers crossed! Thank you!
Latest post on 21 December 2012 - 10:53
Beebers - what do you substitute for half-and-half in Paula Deen's recipe? For half and half, last time I used 4 parts whole milk to 1 part heavy cream :) Green Queen, sheesh--not enough of a baking expert to answer that. I usually just cross my fingers, bake as if it were a pre-baked crust, and keep checking it to make sure it doesn't burn/ Technical, eh?? Personally I like the crust more on the soggy side, but that's me. Just pre bake for a bit if you're not sure. Experiment both ways, even better!
Latest post on 21 December 2012 - 10:47
Beebers - what do you substitute for half-and-half in Paula Deen's recipe?
Latest post on 20 December 2012 - 23:24
Gentle bump...
Latest post on 19 December 2012 - 18:15
Great - will bake it the day before then :) Many of the comments I read for the pro- pre-baking (if that makes sense!) said that if you don't pre-bake the base can be soggy... so I guess that's not the case? Do you change the baking times or temperature (somewhere else I read if the crust is unbaked then bake it for like 15 mins on a higher heat and then lower the heat for the remaining time)? Sorry about all the questions but since I'll be baking these for the first time for a bunch of guests at Christmas, I'm a little nervous!!
Latest post on 19 December 2012 - 15:42
Yes, excellent tip, Goose :)
Latest post on 19 December 2012 - 15:18
Also, in the interest of saving time (and because I'm almost 8 months pregnant and cannot stay on my feet too long!!), is it okay to make the pies the night before do you think or should they ideally be made at the time and served hot? I'm also doing all the sides etc so would be nice if I can do some of the stuff before hand! (we're ordering the turkey so the big job is taken care of :) ) I havealways made pumpkin pie day or two ahead, it tastes better IMO...
Latest post on 19 December 2012 - 13:51
Thanks Beebers - I might just make a regular one and a gluten free one if I'm feeling adventurous! So do you pre-bake your crust as per Paula's recipe? I looked it up and many ppl say pre-bake, others say don't do it coz it burns the crust :\: oh, good question. I don't pre bake. Mainly because I forgot the first time I made one, but was too lazy to chuck it and start over. Liked it much better that way, so never have since :) Nothing worse than a burnt pie crust, yuk!
Latest post on 19 December 2012 - 13:50
Also, in the interest of saving time (and because I'm almost 8 months pregnant and cannot stay on my feet too long!!), is it okay to make the pies the night before do you think or should they ideally be made at the time and served hot? I'm also doing all the sides etc so would be nice if I can do some of the stuff before hand! (we're ordering the turkey so the big job is taken care of :) )
Latest post on 19 December 2012 - 13:47
Thanks Beebers - I might just make a regular one and a gluten free one if I'm feeling adventurous! So do you pre-bake your crust as per Paula's recipe? I looked it up and many ppl say pre-bake, others say don't do it coz it burns the crust :\:
Latest post on 19 December 2012 - 06:22
oh, one other note, you may notice the recipe calls for 2 cans of pumpkin. After numerous time making this pie, I find that a 30 oz of mashed pumpkin, total, is about perfect. So if you end up with having more, blending the remainder with some cream and sugar, ice, and "the Captain" makes a yummy snack for Christmas morning lol!
Latest post on 19 December 2012 - 06:17
Ladies - just saw this thread as I was looking for pumpkin pie recipes. What did you use for the half and half in Paula Dean's recipe? And where do you find ready made pie crusts? Or do you just buy short pastry and roll that out? Hi Green Queen, about to make this myself for a party over the weekend. Paula's never fails me! For half and half, last time I used 4 parts whole milk to 1 part heavy cream and the pie was business as usual :) For the pie crust, I usually make my own since I can never find it and this is so easy. I do either of these, which are both tried and tested. Option 1: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/butter-flaky-pie-crust/Detail.aspx Or option 2: which I prefer because it seems more butter to me, but it is gluten free, and not everyone wants to go out and get brown rice flour if it is not on hand. • 1 cup brown rice flour • 1/4 tsp baking powder • 1/4 tsp sea salt • 1 large egg, slightly beaten • 1/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces • 3 tsp cold water Put flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Add cold butter pieces and use a fork or pastry knife to mix them into the dry ingredients. Add the egg and water and stir until sticky. Use a piece of waxed paper with rice flour on it to roll the dough out on. Then, turn the piece of waxed paper upside down into the pie pan. This dough will not stick together like a gluten dough. Maybe some other ladies can advise you if you do not want to make your own. cheers!
Latest post on 19 December 2012 - 01:57
Ladies - just saw this thread as I was looking for pumpkin pie recipes. What did you use for the half and half in Paula Dean's recipe? And where do you find ready made pie crusts? Or do you just buy short pastry and roll that out?
Latest post on 23 November 2012 - 00:37
Two pumpkin pies coming out of the oven as we speak. Paula Dean's recipe is the bomb as recommended by Beebers! I have been making this recipe for awhile as well.
Latest post on 22 November 2012 - 20:28
Thanks Beebers...will do a search on the pastry The roll looks great as well. Mmmm I see some baking in the future :)
Latest post on 22 November 2012 - 16:11
The best part of pumpkin pie, to me, is making them the night before Thanksgiving holiday, and having just enough filling left over to make pumpkin pie mudslides in the morning--to take the edge off the entire family getting together under one roof. Forget the pumpkin lattes! :D
Latest post on 22 November 2012 - 15:49
I just picked up 2 from Baker & Spice in Al Manzil. Bought the same last year are they are delicious. I was annoyed on the way they handled it this year for the sizes (advised only one size (small) available when I ordered and then today I find out they changed mid-week and made medium and large) but other than this the pie itself is well worth every dirham!
Latest post on 22 November 2012 - 13:47
yum thanks for the recipes. We (well OK I) still have to finish the coffee cake that I made earlier this week, so will bank these for when I'm back from the UK and give one a go.
Latest post on 22 November 2012 - 12:02
The Pumpkin Roll recipe from Libby's is the best! [url=http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/32372/LIBBYS-Pumpkin-Roll/detail.aspx'>link[/url'> I also use their Pumpkin Pie recipe. Although as Beebers said you cant go wrong with Paula Deen:) [url=http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/18470/libbys-famous-pumpkin-pie/detail.aspx'>link[/url'> I love Thanksgiving:)
Latest post on 22 November 2012 - 10:11
My house! :D
Latest post on 22 November 2012 - 08:31
Oh yes, the pumpkin roll is every bit as delish as it looks! And surprisingly easy to make. I'm no master baker at all, and even I manage to make it look pretty. It has converted even the non-pumpkin lovers!
Latest post on 22 November 2012 - 06:56
This looks good...might give it a go. What did u do for the pie dough? Make or buy? TIA edited by Missymoo on 21/11/2012 Missy, One year I just bought it, and then another year I made a gluten free pie crust. For which, the recipe is lost to me at the moment. Computer crashed :( That pastry looks nom nom, Cdn!!!!
Latest post on 21 November 2012 - 22:55
I'm horrible at making pastry, so I tried this a few years ago, and the overwhelming response was that my family preferred it over the pie version! I have been begged for the recipe whenever I've brought it to friends'. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/granny-kats-pumpkin-roll/ Now that looks really edible :)
Latest post on 21 November 2012 - 22:31
I'm horrible at making pastry, so I tried this a few years ago, and the overwhelming response was that my family preferred it over the pie version! I have been begged for the recipe whenever I've brought it to friends'. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/granny-kats-pumpkin-roll/
Latest post on 21 November 2012 - 21:51
This looks good...might give it a go. What did u do for the pie dough? Make or buy? TIA <em>edited by Missymoo on 21/11/2012</em>
Latest post on 21 November 2012 - 20:55
recipe please Beebers - I lurve pumpkin pie! lurve lol it's so easy, I trust my life to this woman regarding pies! It's Paula Deen's http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/pumpkin-pie-recipe/index.html I will be spending Thanksgiving at JLo tmrw. My DH is out of town, but when he comes back, I better have this ready or I will be in trouble!
Latest post on 21 November 2012 - 20:33
recipe please Beebers - I lurve pumpkin pie!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY