A typical day for Mums of under 6mth olds, who don't have help (from either maid or DH) | ExpatWoman.com

A typical day for Mums of under 6mth olds, who don't have help (from either maid or DH)

Latest post on 06 December 2012 - 16:32
I have given up on the idea that I can only do chores once baby is sleeping. She gets put in her bouncer and gets moved from room to room while I get on with my chores, with feeding breaks inbetween. She is usually entertained by watching me. Plus I get to have my break when she naps....
Latest post on 04 December 2012 - 15:11
do you think your house is clean enough? If so, then you get enough done I would say. Is there a certain area where you feel you need to do more? I got curious and looked up the list you mentioned. It is very detailed. For me personally it is a bit over the top (iron towels?!) but if this is the standard you have for your house then good for you. I would just keep in mind that this list was intended for someone with no other duties than cleaning , you on the other hand need to look after your family as well. One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post was that I try to keep the chaos and mess at bay by always putting everything away/cleaning up imediatly after I finished with a task (like washing kitchen utensils while still cooking instead of letting all the dishes pile up till after dinner) and try to enforce this with all other household members.
Latest post on 02 December 2012 - 20:36
under 6 months they still need a lot of sleep and both of mine where up in average 2 hours then took a 1.5-2hours nap with no1 it was easy - he would rub eyes i knew he was sleepy and sent him to bed no2 was difficult (still is) if she has been up for 2 hours and shows signs of crankiness and pput her to bed when they awake i try to spend time with them, having tea and catching up on EW or sometimes doing chores in the room they are in knowing i get to the housework and cooking when they asleep this made life a lot less stressful! this is more or less how we handled our day wakeup - breakfast play - and light tidying up 9am - put baby down for first nap cleanup the house and attempted to get supper going 11am - feed baby clean up after baby
Latest post on 02 December 2012 - 20:35
I have a 6 month old and a kid in KG and no cleaner/maid I write on a big paper several lists once a week: all the chores and errands that I need to do the coming week, all fixed appointments and a meal plan for lunches and dinners for the week, with space for my grocery shopping list. This paper goes in my purse and is my "plan" for the week. It has 2 main advantages: I have a good overview of what is to do and it feels really good to cross things off from the to-do list. I clean 2 times a week, and in general try to pick up behind myself as good as I can. Laundry is done non stop....I don't iron, except husbands shirts, if anyone wants their clothes ironed they're welcome to do it themselves... Like was already said before an important thing is to lower the standards a bit, no one will judge you if the house isn't perfectly clean all the time or if you have to order something in for dinner because it was one of these exhausting days. And if they do judge then they're not worth your time anyway... in short my week days are: get child to school, breakfast, chores or me-time or grocery shop, lunch, tea, homework, chores, dinner, bath (kids) bed, evening, with washing mashine running in the background non-stop...(don't know why suddenly there is so much more laundry) <em>edited by Lilli34 on 03/12/2012</em>
Latest post on 02 December 2012 - 16:28
now that I have my second baby I have a fulltime live-out housekeeper and its fantastic but with my first I found things that helped save me time were 1) put EVERYTHING in the dryer, all baby clothes, pretty much everything except my husbands shirts, fold while still hot so you don't have ironing to do 2) My mum came for a month and I took advantage of that time to fill the freezer with meals, (consider investing in a small chest freezer) after she left I did a batch of something each weekend to keep it stocked so I didn't have to cook (and deal with all the pots and pans) every night. I also used the slow cooker a lot. 3) relax your standards, the house does not need to sparkle! 4) Expect your husband to help out, and explain to him exactly what you need him to do. I did have a cleaner come for 3 hours once a week to do all the mopping, bathrooms and iron shirts and thats really the only day the house was ever clean. :) <em>edited by kiwispiers on 02/12/2012</em>
Latest post on 01 December 2012 - 23:43
I'm in the same boat! [b'>twin_butterfly[/b'> could you share some resources? I have a 4 month old girl and I'm new to all this; I used to work full-time before she was born so now being home all day and doing house chores and taking care of a baby is taking getting used to!
Latest post on 30 November 2012 - 23:27
I was in the same situation when DS was that age (and still am). There are quite a few good smaples on Pinterest, or you can also google it and you will find something that suits you and your family from one of the hundreds of mums blogs. I googled a few days ago as I also need to re-organise myself, and found lots and lots routines for stay at home mums.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY