Just be careful when searching for your new home | ExpatWoman.com

Just be careful when searching for your new home

Latest post on 04 December 2012 - 20:56

DD looking at the minute and has come across a company in the UK trying to scam. Ive been so angry today, they must think we are all stupid. For anyone new entering the UAE and not understanding the process, please be cautious.

Latest post on 23 February 2015 - 14:42
Hi all, Almost fell into it, it was in fact too good to be true. The fact that they've asked for transfer before rcvg the packaging was a very big red flag to me, so I decided to google matter and I came across your forum. I have just called vattenfal (the company he claims to be working from) I felt it would be only fair to alert them that some body is using their name.
Latest post on 27 August 2014 - 10:23
Hi all, We've decided to revive this thread as one of our staff members has been approached by the "man from Whales" who has posted a too-good-to-be-true offer on a property listing website. If you're house hunting, please be aware that there are con-artists out there who are smooth and savvy and will tell you anything to get you to part with your money. Read the full article with examples of the type of emails these people will send - http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_faqs_property_scams_9629.aspx Be aware and remember only to use a RERA registered estate agent when renting property in Dubai. Warm regards, EW Admin <em>edited by admin on 27/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 05 December 2012 - 20:53
Having recently worked for the police in the UK my own experience is that it is very likely these scammers are not even based in the UK. WE used to get daily reports similar to this and really there was very little that we could do about it other than listen and confirm the likelihood of it being a scam. It basically comes down to the old saying " if something looks too good to be true...then it probably is." Certainly, if an individual has not actually suffered any loss ie fraud then the police would not be interested in the UK...hard fact is that there simply are not the resources.
Latest post on 05 December 2012 - 10:22
Your daughter or any others who were almost taken by these people might want to copy and paste their emails with a comment into the scamwarners.com website: http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=39 Great idea, thanks.
Latest post on 05 December 2012 - 10:21
Your daughter or any others who were almost taken by these people might want to copy and paste their emails with a comment into the scamwarners.com website: http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=39
Latest post on 05 December 2012 - 10:17
Can't they be reported to the Whales and dubai authorities??? If a group of ppl did this together, this scamster would definitely be punished.
Latest post on 05 December 2012 - 10:07
So they are still operating. About nine months ago I contacted them about an apartment advertised in Al Fattan. He replied to my email in a very chatty way about his family and the fact that he was working on a wind farm in North Wales. It did look too good to be true and alarm bells rang when he asked for money to release the key. I did report it to Dubizzle at the time as it was obvious it was a scam. As salsB has said, the website for the property company looked very professional and I can see that some people could be taken in by it, particularly if they were new to Dubai and didn't know anything about the market and agents. Good luck to your DD salsB and hope she finds something very soon.
Latest post on 05 December 2012 - 08:53
2 beds in JBR go for significantly more than 60k per year, in fact 1 beds you would struggle with that budget. Have a look on Dubizzle for specific areas as a guide to pricing and if your DD finds a deal that is significantly less than the 'average' price, then I 'd tell her to steer clear. Good Luck with the search and wish her a warm welcome to Jooobaaai.
Latest post on 05 December 2012 - 08:43
The same thing happened to us...as we were moving here this year i was looking for property for my husband to view whilst i was still in Wales. Also replied to an advert and got an email from property-now.com. They told us the exact same thing and my husband and i knew that something didnt seem right. I sent an email saying that..i was in Wales and seeing as the owner was too..then we could meet so i could have more clarification etc etc...needless to say i never heard another thing off them!
Latest post on 05 December 2012 - 08:38
Thanks for that salsB, very clearly a scam and not even a particularly clever one at that. Sounds very similar to another Dubizzle scam from a couple of years ago that involved the selling of non-existent second-hand cars. The best advice from all of this is the old adage that if something's too good to be true, it almost certainly is. Has your daughter reported this to Dubizzle and the Police? At least that way she can help prevent other less-suspecting people from falling victim to these terrible people. No she hadn't as yet, but I know we need to let Dubizzle know, will the police be interested due to the company being overseas? Probably not, but you never know. You could just send a quick email or report it to the Al Ameen hotline. Definitely alert Dubizzle though as they will shut their account down immediately. There should be a 'Report' button on the ad, click that and post your description from here into it. They'll probably set up a new account straight away but at least the guys at Dubizzle will then know what to look out for.
Latest post on 05 December 2012 - 08:29
Thanks for that salsB, very clearly a scam and not even a particularly clever one at that. Sounds very similar to another Dubizzle scam from a couple of years ago that involved the selling of non-existent second-hand cars. The best advice from all of this is the old adage that if something's too good to be true, it almost certainly is. Has your daughter reported this to Dubizzle and the Police? At least that way she can help prevent other less-suspecting people from falling victim to these terrible people. No she hadn't as yet, but I know we need to let Dubizzle know, will the police be interested due to the company being overseas?
Latest post on 05 December 2012 - 08:26
Thanks for that salsB, very clearly a scam and not even a particularly clever one at that. Sounds very similar to another Dubizzle scam from a couple of years ago that involved the selling of non-existent second-hand cars. The best advice from all of this is the old adage that if something's too good to be true, it almost certainly is. Has your daughter reported this to Dubizzle and the Police? At least that way she can help prevent other less-suspecting people from falling victim to these terrible people.
Latest post on 05 December 2012 - 07:51
Sorry I was so vague, but here goes. DD seen a really lovely furnished 2 bed apartment in Rimal 1, 15th floor, 6 cheques, 60,000 pervyear. Owner apparently lives in Wales and used a management company called Property-Now, who are suppose to be based in the UK. This apartment is advertised on Dubizzle, no telephone number, just had to reply to the ad. So DD emails, said owner had basically chatted bout the apartment and said he does not use an agent in Dubai, so he wants 5000dhs to release the keys and package then the courier will show DD round the apartment, if she doesn't like it he will refund ( funny ). I have checked out the management company, www.property-now.com, there isn't one telephone number, yet lots of pics of all the staff, that are super imposed photographs. I checked with company house and this company isnt registered, so with all the emails yesterday and the so called said owner and management company were eager to assist, we ask for the company registration number and VAT number, since then all emails have seized.
Latest post on 04 December 2012 - 23:21
There really isn't much point in warnings like this if people don't even give us an idea of what we need to be avoiding. Details please.
Latest post on 04 December 2012 - 22:54
Is the company registered/licensed here? I have an email address for the guy who deals with agency licensing at RERA here if you want to file a complaint.
Latest post on 04 December 2012 - 22:42
SaslB, can you elaborate on the scam? I am in the process of signing for an appartment owned by a company based abroad. Any nuggets of info would be most helpful!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY