Purchasing electrical items for baby from North America- yay or nay? | ExpatWoman.com

Purchasing electrical items for baby from North America- yay or nay?

Latest post on 14 January 2013 - 03:47

Hello ladies:

I've been struggling with this issue for a while- thought I'd put it out there to hear your views. Thanks in advance!

I'm currently pregnant with twins and am delivering in North America. I'll be coming back to Dubai once we're all ready to travel. As I won't have any help back in Dubai and will have my hands full, I'm hoping to finish up as much shopping as possible here. I've pretty much bought everything I need except for electrical items, mainly:
*breast pump
*baby monitor
*bottle warmer
*sterilizer

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of dual voltage items that I could buy here and bring back with me, or whether it would be wiser to buy these items (220V) in Dubai. I actually wrote to Medela asking whether they had any dual voltage pumps, but their customer service not very helpful- they suggested I use a battery pack while in Dubai! I know many women LOVE Medela pumps-- I wonder if anyone could give me a rough estimate of how much the Freestyle Breast Pump or Pump in Style Advanced would cost if purchased in Dubai. Also it looks like the Freestyle is not AC adapter powered, so does this mean it always runs on batteries?

Summer Infant service was much better, and they wrote back saying they have three dual voltage monitors: Baby Touch, Best View & Sleek and Secure. However I've heard mixed reviews about Summer Infant products, so not even sure about whether I'd like to buy them.

Any input highly appreciated. Thanks!

Latest post on 14 January 2013 - 09:03
I have an ameda pump double which is similar to Medela if not better and cheaper, and it costs 700-800 dhs. I think the medela cost around 1200 dhs on sale. Baby monitor, I got the angel one, basic, in Toys are us, on sale for almost the same price as in USA,
Latest post on 14 January 2013 - 08:16
Thanks for the replies ladies. Any idea how much the Medela electric double pumps cost?
Latest post on 14 January 2013 - 07:45
Baby Shop carries Medela breast pumps and they have a sale on right now. I wouldn't bring electrical items from N. America. I fried a few items when we came from Canada. It also can be a hassle having to plug in to converters in different rooms when you have a newborn to care for.
Latest post on 14 January 2013 - 06:57
Can you source these items from a UK supplier? Then the voltage would be the same.
Latest post on 14 January 2013 - 06:31
Although the ME is better than Africa in this regard, I have still found that a couple of my high dollar electronics from the US (laptop, t3 straightening iron) fried when i plugged them into a converter. Dead, done. I don't have experience with the items OP is talking about, but the things I can buy here, I do. Just my two fils.
Latest post on 14 January 2013 - 06:03
You could buy a converter in Dubai, and then it's no problem to run those items from N.A. Without a converter I wouldn't do it, you'll fry your appliances. :)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY