Any advice on a smart way to "unfriend" someone? | ExpatWoman.com

Any advice on a smart way to "unfriend" someone?

Latest post on 26 January 2013 - 08:33
I agree with the others that say to stop answeing her calls and blaming it on being busy. She'll eventually find someone else to nag and get off ur case!
Latest post on 25 January 2013 - 22:56
It sounds as though your 'freind' may have some emotional problems. Perhaps you could sit down with her and suggest that she seeks professional help given that you don't feel in a position to help her anymore. I do sympathise with your situation though... that kind of behaviour is *very* draining :-( Good luck x
Latest post on 25 January 2013 - 02:33
maybe sort of tell her - if she is an [b'>otherwise good friend [/b'>- knowing why she is losing friends might help understand the boundaries of friendships and help her to make and keep friends in the future maybe she is just very comfortable with you and considers you a real friend and calls you without thinking - so if you stop accepting her calls - and pretends to busy all the time - she will get the message - but will probably be very hurt along the way - trying to figure out why the friendship died - so if she is a generally good person - help her grow as a person - its not your responsibility but its an option I don't think she is an otherwise good friend - the OP would be more supportive and not speak about her like she does... Best to just not take her calls - she'll get the message eventually
Latest post on 24 January 2013 - 21:42
maybe sort of tell her - if she is an otherwise good friend - knowing why she is losing friends might help understand the boundaries of friendships and help her to make and keep friends in the future maybe she is just very comfortable with you and considers you a real friend and calls you without thinking - so if you stop accepting her calls - and pretends to busy all the time - she will get the message - but will probably be very hurt along the way - trying to figure out why the friendship died - so if she is a generally good person - help her grow as a person - its not your responsibility but its an option
Latest post on 24 January 2013 - 19:48
If you don't have time to talk then just tell her so, you're not a teenager you're allowed to dictate how you spend your time. It doesn't sound as though you actually like her, probably best to end the friendship, although it sounds as though she feels quite close to you so I'm not sure there's any smart or painless way to do that. Have you actually tried mentioning to her that she is negative a lot of the time? It may make her think and make an effort to be more positive in future.
Latest post on 24 January 2013 - 19:12
A true friend would sit and listen, its obvious you are not proper friends, come clean and end the friendship.
Latest post on 23 January 2013 - 16:55
Just stop taking her calls, responding to her texts etc...and just always blame it on being soooo busy. She will get the message soon enough ;) I have recently done the above and it seems to be working :-)
Latest post on 23 January 2013 - 14:51
Just stop taking her calls, responding to her texts etc...and just always blame it on being soooo busy. She will get the message soon enough ;)
Latest post on 23 January 2013 - 13:31
Know the feeling. The first person I met in Doha was initially great fun and full of chat but I realised after a while that she wasn't really "my cup of tea" and we wanted very different things from our expat experience. I just gradually withdrew myself and when she called or text, said I was on my way to >>>?? or was in the middle of a meeting. She soon stopped calling. It was awkward as she was the wife of one of my DHs colleagues and we often attended social things. She did have loads of other friends who were into the things that she liked so I didn't feel bad about dropping her. Good luck.
Latest post on 23 January 2013 - 13:27
Sadly this is a toxic friend. I had one too, and we were really good friends, when she was not hounding me 20 times a day with calls, using me, and basically running me down. In the end, I had to stop taking her calls......I felt terrible, but she would not stop.....

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY