Childcare options for our toddler when I'm in labour! | ExpatWoman.com

Childcare options for our toddler when I'm in labour!

Latest post on 12 February 2013 - 13:45

Hi, our second baby is due in May and I need to arrange some childcare for our toddler whilst im in labour so DH can be at the birth! We're not expecting any family over this year, my two closest friends here are also due to give birth around the same time as me and we don't have a maid

Has anyone been in a similar situation? What did you do? Do any of the hospitals have a creche?The only option we can think of is hiring a full time live-in maid, but we would rather not to do this. DS was a few weeks early, the labour was sudden and pretty quick, so the childcare would ideally need available 24/7. Any advice appreciated!

Latest post on 13 February 2013 - 22:46
lemonpancake - where do you live? If close to me,I can help. Otherwise you never know I might know someone close to you. fairy Godmother Club def sounds like a good idea. keep us posted. x
Latest post on 13 February 2013 - 22:18
Lemon Pancake, I know how stressful this situation is! I was in the exact same position last year (gave birth in April 2012). We ended up leaving our other 2 children with my husband's co-worker and family at the last minute. It was not ideal but it was only for one night. The fairy godmother group is a good place to look. I found someone there that was willing to help me out but at the last minute she had to fly back to the UK for a family emergency and the arrangement fell through. What area do you live in? I would also suggest posting on the main forum. There are many generous women here who might be willing to help out (you could meet a couple of times in advance to make sure you would be comfortable with them watching your toddler). I would offer my services but with 3 little ones and working full-time, I am not really your best option! Try not to worry, something will work out!
Latest post on 13 February 2013 - 11:49
Thanks for the suggestions! Daza - the Fairy Godmother Group sounds interesting. Will check it out thanks! Feefmick - yes, we have a lovely neighbour so I might pluck up the courage to ask her!
Latest post on 12 February 2013 - 14:14
Maybe get in contact with the Fairy Godmother Club? I think it was started by a poster on this forum. https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fairy-Godmother-Club/171369332900368?fref=ts I agree with Feefmick, people would be more willing to help out than you might think in this situation.
Latest post on 12 February 2013 - 13:57
Do you have a friend that would be willing to help out?
Latest post on 12 February 2013 - 13:48
we were in NZ in similar position - I'd only been there a few months so didn't really know people well enough to ask (or so ithought). My labour was QUICK - 45 mins. DD ended up with us and DH ran between waiting room and labour room - she was 2 years old and receptionist kept an eye on her. Do you have neighbours that would help out. People are more receptive than you think. SOOO many people afterwards said that I should have asked and they would have looked after DD with pleasure.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY