Toddler stuttering | ExpatWoman.com

Toddler stuttering

Latest post on 16 March 2013 - 00:29

My 3.5 years old son have recently started stuttering. It just started suddenly two weeks ago. When it started it was really very bad but we just ignored it. Now after 2 weeks he is better now but still stuttering a few times. I searched about it on various sites and found that it may be because he is developing his language skills and trying to speak fluently. And that most children outgrow this phase over few weeks.
But I am thinking should I wait for few more weeks or go to a speech therapist?
Anyone faced similar problem? Please advice.

Latest post on 18 January 2014 - 21:55
My DS stuttered at the age of 3 and I took him for an assessment at Kids First, he had some speech therapy which was really helpful as it helped us to use techniques to deal with it. Thankfully he got through it and the therapy helped. I do agree though, for many children it's a phase as their minds are working so fast their mouths are not able to keep up.
Latest post on 18 January 2014 - 11:03
My DD did the same thing when she turned 3 and she got over it within a week... i had no idea that it was common but just ignored it and since it went away soon i never thought of it again... At the time also we thought the best thing was thing was to ignore it for if a child becomes conscious he would stutter more in stress... <em>edited by twirl1 on 18/01/2014</em>
Latest post on 17 January 2014 - 22:16
this might help explaining? http://www.webmd.com/parenting/stuttering
Latest post on 17 January 2014 - 12:21
My son is 4.4 years and has suddenly started stuttering..,I'd really appreciate it if I could talk to someone whose been through this. Am worried sick..thanks
Latest post on 16 March 2013 - 21:52
My DS went through the same thing at the same age. It was really bad, to the point sometimes other kids would make fun of him. I was so worried that he wouldn't grow out of it! It lasted about 6 months and then suddenly vanished. It is apparently very normal so try not to worry.
Latest post on 16 March 2013 - 17:01
Actually, my daughter started stuttering around the same age. It coincided with our nanny who had to leave suddenly as her mother passed away. She grew out of it after a few months.
Latest post on 16 March 2013 - 16:31
I didn't know that it is very common with boys. After reading you replies, I am actually relieved now. Thanks a lot ladies.
Latest post on 16 March 2013 - 11:17
My boy did exactly the same at the same age. We spoke to speech therapist as we were gutted. He confirmed the below, it will pass.... etc and he stopped almost as suddenly as it started! Phew! Then the blinking... A boy thing and that passed as well. Always a worry but he is perfect now!
Latest post on 16 March 2013 - 08:11
As apple said, this is very common, especially in boys. To do with their neurological make up. Both my boys have gone through this, the oldest twice in fact. In both cases, we just rode the stage out and it resolved itself. Don't worry and just help him with your patience and reassurance. I remember being quite upset so I do empathize.
Latest post on 16 March 2013 - 02:09
Its very normal. They will outgrow it by the time they are 4-4 1/2. Their minds work so fast and their vocabulary cant keep up with it at this age. It more prevalent in boys too. I have boys,so I have seen them go through this. Dont worry. Thanks a lot for your reply. That was quite reassuring. Actually I was little worried about this but now after reading your experience I feel that this is just normal. Thanks again.
Latest post on 16 March 2013 - 01:50
Its very normal. They will outgrow it by the time they are 4-4 1/2. Their minds work so fast and their vocabulary cant keep up with it at this age. It more prevalent in boys too. I have boys,so I have seen them go through this. Dont worry.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY