Just wantmy child to be happy... NOT to do homework or have an iPad at 4 or many other stuff!!!! | ExpatWoman.com

Just wantmy child to be happy... NOT to do homework or have an iPad at 4 or many other stuff!!!!

Latest post on 21 March 2013 - 01:50

Hi ladies,

Feeling a bit agonised here with the whole schooling thing here :(. My son is in KG1 (first child in school) and I keep learning from the parents of older children that they spent hours with their kids doing homework and they hate it. And it gets even worse when they have 2or 3 kids. Although they do, nobody seems to really compain to the school (as about other matters as well). So I have a few questions for you:
1. How much homework do your kids bring home weekly / daily?
2. Did you ever complain about it to the school? What did they say? Do they usually listen to parents complaints / remarks / suggestions here?
3. Do they keep students in the same class from one year to another? I heard they don't in my son's school :(
4. Do you think it is possible for parents to refuse to have their child doing homework? What could be the consequences?
5. Do you know of any school that has a NO-homework policy for the early years in Dubai? Please say yes and let me know which one?
6. Do you know of any school in Dubai that follows a policy of 'let-children-be-children-while-they-are-children' and does not try to 'create' tiny adults instead?
7. Did your school ask you to buy an iPad for each of your children so that they can work on it both in school and at home? (mine hasn't but heard of someone complaining about it)

Please let me have your feedback. I know some questions might not sound that serious to you but they are. I am truly serious (and worried) about all this and would like to have your feedback (not your criticism). Thank you all.

Latest post on 28 April 2013 - 11:42
Both my boys go to a GEMS school, older in year 5 and younger in FS2, we get homework only once week, in math and English. Perhaps the older gets a science or French sheet once a month. The younger gets homework for the weekend too, but its exactly 5 minutes work. They are encouraged to read a lot, the younger gets two tiny books a week, my older one does a lot of reading and I encourage him to write a blurb or synopsis of what he has read ( that's purely because he needs to work on it and nothing that the school asks us to do). iPads are not that bad at all, as we do download books and stories and educational games for e kids and it under no circumstance replaces outdoor play . I monitor the time they spend on it .
Latest post on 28 April 2013 - 10:45
try American curriculum schools (my son's at American International) and we're pretty happy with the mix of class/homework vs activities and fun. He only gets homework twice per week and even then its maybe 2-3 pages of simple homework (practicing letters, coloring, counting etc) But what I love about this school is the emphasis on "fun" because these are kids after all. For example each week they learn a new color, then they have a "blue day" or "yellow day" and all the kids (and teachers) come dressed in that color and they have KG assembly and dance and sing - this happens almost every week. They have theme days like crazy hat day, dress up days, they have a great activity room -- I get a sense that the kids learn A LOT but in an age appropriate way and are encouraged to sing and dance and have fun :) <em>edited by pinksushi on 28/04/2013</em>
Latest post on 25 April 2013 - 20:34
OMG! :( I have just read an article by a famous guy that advocates that in nursery kids should only have PE, arts, music and loooooots of play time (with no evaluation or any pressure on these activities but to enjoy them). I could so easily relate to his philosophy! He even says he never did any homework until he was 12 or 15 (sth like that) and he now has a PHd! As I have a younger one, almost turning 2 and who will soon join nursery, can you please advise a nursery that is 'laid back' (caring for the kids, of course and providing a good atmosphere) but that is not academically oriented at all :) ? Thanks once again to you all for helping me not feeling the odd one out. I felt the same way as you and saw a lot of nurseries that followed the French system of loads of structure with children expected to be quiet and sit still for 20 mins at a time. They were bored out of their minds and just wanted to play - they were 18 months old!! Needless to say I managed to find an amazing nursery that follows the creative curriculum where they learn through play. Activities are laid on for them but they're optional so they can still play if they want to. There's a few like this. Inspire is the one my son goes to but there's also Cooper and Jumeirah international nursery
Latest post on 25 April 2013 - 20:30
I might be a bit controversial here but I honestly do not see such a big issue if your child has homework to do. My one is in reception class ( FS2) still here in UK until the end of the school year and has been bringing homework every week. I am not talking about masses of it, but fun things like reading a book, projects, family diaries, learning words and some basic maths. I love spending time with my child after school going through things that he has learnt and seeing his progress. I also am more aware of his abilities and able to raise my concerns or give praises at the parents evenings. Although, I do not agree with overwhelming kids with extra work given to them, I think it is a good preparation for later years.
Latest post on 25 April 2013 - 20:18
My daughter is in the Sharjah German School ( I think there is one in Dubai as well). The German system does not believe in over burdening the child till he/she is 6 so essentially school starts for them at 6. Until then they are in the Kindergarten where they are taught life skills as well as pre-school material but I have yet to see my daughter bring home work. My daughter is 4 so I dont know if there is a lot of homework for her when she gets to "school" but I can highly recommend their schooling system. Hava look http://www.dssharjah.org/?d=1&page=1&num=80&PHPSESSID=8c443665649ab65374418d820f9bca1e Would you mind sharing your experience with the German School Sharjah, ie why do you like it so much. Does it differ from the one in Dubai? What was your experience with them so far? Thanks <em>edited by Rudi on 25/04/2013</em>
Latest post on 22 March 2013 - 13:36
I would recommend the Montessori system highly - my little one(4years) has benefited hugely from it. Their philosophy of each child learning at their own pace & being put through a sausage mill is really nice. How ever, I am not aware of too many montessori's in Dubai (I have heard of one in Al Gharoud & I'm told the one in Ibn Batuta Mall is also good). However, I'm worried for my DD moving to a regular school in Dubai, as I'm told that she's too old to go to a nursery (Montessori is only till pre-school age in Dubai). Countries like Japan & the Nordics do not start formal education till 7 years & they have not done badly on the world stage, have they? I am a little worried about my DD starting school in Dubai this April - it did seem far too academically oriented when I visited the schools. So totally with you, Cigarra! Sorry cant offer any practical advise, but totally agree with you!
Latest post on 22 March 2013 - 11:33
I was just about to post that I would suggest a Montessori nursery for your little one, OP. I don't have any recommendations for here, though, but their principle at that age is learning through play. You have to be careful which system you choose for afterwards for your child, though, as some are a complete shock to the child's system after Montessori's nurturing approach and your child may never get into the mainstream academic rhythm after Montessori. Our daughter was in a Montessori school till she was 9 and then got the shock of her life when she went into the French system. She still hasn't recovered. If she had been able to stay with Montessori till she was 18, as I understand is possible in the Netherlands, she'd be doing a lot better academically now.
Latest post on 22 March 2013 - 11:17
My friend ownes Kids Venture in Ibn Battuta Mall....and they have a Montessori curriculum for KG1 and KG2. From what I've heard from parents and what I have seen, they are pretty amazing. All the toys are design for experiential learning...so the kids are playing and learning at the same time. http://www.kidzventure.ae/nursery/kindergarten/
Latest post on 22 March 2013 - 11:08
Horizon still has a no-homework policy. It works for some parents and I know of others who have taken their kids out and put them elsewhere coz they feel homework from an early age inculcates an academic discipline for later in life. From what I've seen here - and this is a generalisation - the British schools and some GEMS schools believe in homework. At JPS routinely easter projects are things which parents will work on with kids over the holidays. My friend whose kids are at Repton spends an hour daily with them on homework. Madge's point about how schools achieve a KHDA outstanding is spot on.
Latest post on 21 March 2013 - 11:36
He even says he never did any homework until he was 12 or 15 (sth like that) and he now has a PHd! I don't know about nowadays, but when DH and I were going through the UK school system in the 70s/80s, it was very common not to get homework until you went to secondary school at age 12 (DH and I certainly didn't get homework until then), and it didn't stop anyone going on to get PhDs! The idea that kids should be getting homework from the age of 4 or 5 is a nonsense, and it's sadly tied up with the whole idea of schools having to compete with each other in league tables. The schools obviously want to be as high up the table as possible, especially if they are fee-paying, so they're going to hothouse the kids to try and demonstrate that they turn out little Einsteins. <em>edited by Madge_Gustard on 21/03/2013</em>
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 21 March 2013 - 11:26
In Sweden (or was it Finland) formal schooling doesnt begin till age 7, and yet the children are doing very well in school and beyond. My DD did not start grade 1 school until 7 (never went to KG at all) - it was a big problem trying to get her into a school here because of her age but we managed. I think her time spent at home with extended family as a little girl was far more beneficial than being put in school at aged 4 or 5. While, due to geographical problems, school any earlier for her was not an option, I think she has taken to her academic life with a different attitude to those girls who are much younger - she is mature, ambitious, focused and is enjoying her study and learning. I think children start school much too early these days. They miss out on all the important lessons they can and should learn from their old great grandmothers, grandmothers, uncles and aunts etc.
Latest post on 21 March 2013 - 10:25
Get loads at Kings (year 4 though). DD's weekly homework entails Spellings that often require writing the words in sentences (sensible but time consuming), maths worksheets, weekly 'theme' homework which is generally something like a poster or a fact file or presentation, sometimes other English homework and sometimes French or Arabic too. Could easily take a day of the weekend if you let it, though its only meant to be 45 minutes per piece. And yes I have complained but some other parents think there is too little!!! Snthe teachers are a bit stuck. Optional homework is a great idea as it can then meet everyone's perosnal preference. I heard from a friend that Wellington Silicon Oasis (so maybe other GEMS schools) does this. Just like to say, Safa isn't a Gems school...
Latest post on 21 March 2013 - 10:25
In Sweden (or was it Finland) formal schooling doesnt begin till age 7, and yet the children are doing very well in school and beyond.
Latest post on 21 March 2013 - 10:23
OMG! :( I have just read an article by a famous guy that advocates that in nursery kids should only have PE, arts, music and loooooots of play time (with no evaluation or any pressure on these activities but to enjoy them). I could so easily relate to his philosophy! He even says he never did any homework until he was 12 or 15 (sth like that) and he now has a PHd! As I have a younger one, almost turning 2 and who will soon join nursery, can you please advise a nursery that is 'laid back' (caring for the kids, of course and providing a good atmosphere) but that is not academically oriented at all :) ? Thanks once again to you all for helping me not feeling the odd one out.
Latest post on 21 March 2013 - 10:12
Get loads at Kings (year 4 though). DD's weekly homework entails Spellings that often require writing the words in sentences (sensible but time consuming), maths worksheets, weekly 'theme' homework which is generally something like a poster or a fact file or presentation, sometimes other English homework and sometimes French or Arabic too. Could easily take a day of the weekend if you let it, though its only meant to be 45 minutes per piece. And yes I have complained but some other parents think there is too little!!! Snthe teachers are a bit stuck. Optional homework is a great idea as it can then meet everyone's perosnal preference. I heard from a friend that Wellington Silicon Oasis (so maybe other GEMS schools) does this.
Latest post on 21 March 2013 - 10:12
Starting to feel a bit better thanks to you all, ladies, as usual. Thank you as I don't feel like the weird one anymore :). I will definitely go and see Safa school - rather move him to a different school than having him missing his childhood. My son's school follows ICP with Montessori (and then CP from then onwards). Do you know how different this method is from Reggio Emilia? Which one would be less intensive?
Latest post on 21 March 2013 - 09:59
FS2 Usually nice little project homework - like making a collage and labelling it etc Drawing activities Learning a rhyme and matching pictures to words - nothing intense oh right - the sort of stuff that's on homelinks on the website every week...it's "optional"
Latest post on 21 March 2013 - 09:55
FS2 Usually nice little project homework - like making a collage and labelling it etc Drawing activities Learning a rhyme and matching pictures to words - nothing intense
Latest post on 21 March 2013 - 09:50
Safa School. They get some homework at weekend but during the week there is nothing formal. Up to the parent to read stories, practice reading and writing etc. Very nice community atmosphere. We are very happy there. what year are you in ? we don't get anything at weekends and we're in year 4...
Latest post on 21 March 2013 - 09:49
Safa School. They get some homework at weekend but during the week there is nothing formal. Up to the parent to read stories, practice reading and writing etc. Very nice community atmosphere. We are very happy there.
Latest post on 21 March 2013 - 09:06
As I recall, 3 or 4 years ago Horizon school was in the news for dropping homework in the belief that for very young children it serves no purpose and in some cases can even be counter-productive..whether they still operate that policy I don't know.. My youngest goes to Safa school which used to be a sister school to Horizon, and we don't have set homework other than daily reading and practicing spelling and times tables.. There are a range of projects and study opportunities always available on the school's website but it's all optional...the school would like them to participate but I've no idea how many do...By year 5 I think they get some homework and moreso of course in year 6, but for the very young ones they don't get anything other than the reading... Personally I hate the thought of young children having ipads (babies ?? just ridiculous imo) but that's just me and i'm old...As far as I know our school has no requirement for them - they use computers in ICT but he doesn't use a computer at home except for occasional voluntary research and videos of kids programmes on you tube !! lol <em>edited by Pikachu on 21/03/2013</em>
Latest post on 21 March 2013 - 09:01
My daughter is in the Sharjah German School ( I think there is one in Dubai as well). The German system does not believe in over burdening the child till he/she is 6 so essentially school starts for them at 6. Until then they are in the Kindergarten where they are taught life skills as well as pre-school material but I have yet to see my daughter bring home work. My daughter is 4 so I dont know if there is a lot of homework for her when she gets to "school" but I can highly recommend their schooling system. Hava look http://www.dssharjah.org/?d=1&page=1&num=80&PHPSESSID=8c443665649ab65374418d820f9bca1e
Latest post on 21 March 2013 - 08:55
Try an IB school for primary. They are more chilled out and the children learn at the same time. Cant advise about the ipad thing as both of mine had ipads since they were babies.Lol!
Latest post on 21 March 2013 - 08:46
I'm sorry that I can't advise you, as my own child is at the other end of the spectrum and I have no experience of primary years schooling here. From my short experience of schools in Dubai, it seems to me that different cultures expect different things of their schools and their children academically - there are those which are insistent on noses to the grindstone from an early age, and others which are more relaxed about these things. I wouldn't put my child back into the French system again, for example, as it was learning by rote from an early age and it didn't suit my child at all and meant that she never managed to get herself into a good homework routine as she was so stressed all the time when she was younger and should have been out playing. I haven't experienced it, but I understand that the primary years IB curriculum is possibly less intensive and academically orientated than others, although that's not to say the children don't learn the basics and more - but I may be wrong. I must say, I agree with you that children should be encouraged to enjoy their childhoods and not be under academic pressure from an early age, but it seems you and I are in the minority here, I'm afraid :( I have an idea of a couple of schools which, from what I've heard, might suit your child, but will wait to see if those with actual experience of them weigh in at all :)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY