How would you react to this email? | ExpatWoman.com

How would you react to this email?

Latest post on 27 March 2013 - 10:43

If you had advertised for a permanent home for a lovely friendly foster puppy; complete with photo - and someone emailed you, [someone whose email name isn't written properly - eg 'mary Smith' - which I confess does slightly prejudice me against them] asking 'is the subject free of charge?' - how would you feel about this potential home?

And if I had received that email, and I were to reply:

<<I'm looking for a loving home for [puppy], not trying to make money from her. The lady who has been supporting me with the fostering and homing firmly believes that an adopting family ought to reimburse vaccination costs, which were about 250 dhs, but I'm not sure if I can actually find the receipt.

I'm going to be honest, though, if that is the main concern, it worries me. Taking on a dog is a financial commitment - apart from the cost of food and the annual vaccinations, what happens if/when they get sick? >>

would you interpret that as me trying to [b]sell[/b] the pup? I don't want any money for her, but I don't want her going to someone who would throw her out at the drop of a hat or the development of a medical condition, and the single question (not to mention the reference to 'the subject') in the original email did worry me.

Thoughts?

Latest post on 27 March 2013 - 13:24
so your Mary Smith WAS admin.......
Latest post on 27 March 2013 - 13:13
I just came on to say that EW had actually been great about this and see they have already reposted their email to me - thank you admin :) much appreciated. And I'm very glad you do spot checks!
Latest post on 27 March 2013 - 13:04
Hi There, At ExpatWoman we take animal welfare very seriously and support many of the charities, shelters and people who do fantastic work rehoming these poor animals. Unfortunately there are persons out there who are trying to sell animals that they shouldn't be and other unscrupulous dealings. As part of this we do perform random spot checks on animal for adoption adverts as part of our care of duty- where this one has unfortunately fallen through- after your very genuine answer the advert should have been approved not rejected and for this we apologise and have rebriefed the team on what kind of adverts to contact advertisers about- we will do a thorough retraining on this. We are very happy to approve the advert now if you want us too.... we can also put the pic and the advert on our Facebook and Twitter as well to get maximum exposure for this cute looking doggy!
Latest post on 27 March 2013 - 12:52
Interesting! I was advertising on Dubizzle for forever homes for three foster kittens last year, and had an almost identical request from someone back then. I thought at the time if someone's going to refer to their potential new family member as "the subject" and not bother to ask anything else at all, then they're probably not suitable adopters, in my opinion. And, gross, there were also rumours circulating at the time about people getting kitties and puppies from Dubizzle for bait/training for dog fights :(
Latest post on 27 March 2013 - 12:09
Oh sandfly, please dont get me wrong, I think that anyone who can foster a dog is an amazing person and I hope my posts didnt come across wrong, it wasnt my intention. I couldnt foster a pup because I couldnt bear to see it leave and I would be so picky about who would end up with the dog that I would probably cross examine them and want to see where they live and their bank accounts! Unfortunately I had such a bad experience when I was looking to adopt another dog as it was all about the money and not doing the right thing for the dog. I do hope that you find a family for life for your foster dog and someone who will cherish her.
Latest post on 27 March 2013 - 11:47
[My "mary smith" was a lady who advertised on EW, but not admin and had nothing to do with EW other than as a member. I would have been prepared to pay the costs of the vaccinations but not the cost to purchase the dog, which was ridiculous it was over AED 10k, and she was apparently moving abroad and desperate to "rehome". In the end I think it was more that the puppy grew up and she couldnt handle or train the dog. It was nearly 2 and not toilet trained didnt interact well with other dogs or people. We lived in the same complex and I knew the dog. I guess I am also extremely biased when it comes to dogs as I would NEVER let my boy go, even when we moved to Dubai I said to my husband if the dog cant come we arent going. If we move home, he comes with us and we have a "plan b" if anything ever happens here that would result in expats being evacuated and we wont be leaving with assistance of our government. Dogs arent for life, not just christmas or birthdays or until they become big. Really annoys me that many people here abandon dogs once they cant control them or they grow up. Littleone - can I just say this was never 'my' dog, just a rescue I agreed to foster? would love to keep but don't have the right lifestyle and it isn't fair on her, she needs more company/attention than she's getting, but we are doing our best to train her (she's great, very willing, just also very excitable!) Ecochic, she has been advertised on dubizzle, not directly by me, I just thought EW was another way of accessing potential families :( Yes the municapality vet is great, and can easily pop up there really.
Latest post on 27 March 2013 - 11:40
Hi ecochic, thanks - I do agree with the principle of the vaccination thing, I just hadn't thought about it when pup had hers done. Good idea about the copy receipts (though it was the municipality vet so who knows...!) I just wanted to be able to actually advertise her rather than only relying on the help of the 'homing lady' - it is EW's reaction I am having difficulty understanding really. If the vaccinations are on the book then call DM's vet section at khawaneej and see if they can help. I have found them helpful in the past but have always gone there in person. Do not forget dubizzle as it has loads of coverage when compared to EW. Contact the EW admin and see what happened and what can be done to re advertise. Bet they would help and understand. And do not mention 'Free Adoption' just 'Adoption' as this way you cannot be held liable for any false claims. <em>edited by ecochic on 27/03/2013</em>
Latest post on 27 March 2013 - 11:38
Hi littleone, What I was trying to say was, I am supposed to ask for vaccination costs (which is pretty standard across the various rehoming organisations) but don't think I can as I can't find the receipt. Of course the person would get the vaccination book, and the municipality tag, (and her favourite toys, and her blanket......) However immediately after replying to 'mary Smith' I had a message from EW saying 'advert not accepted, blah blah' which seems to be on the basis that the dog isn't 'free'. So now I think mary Smith was not a genuine enquiry - but I also don't think the not accepting is fair :( are you saying Mary Smith was someone from EW admin ?? My "mary smith" was a lady who advertised on EW, but not admin and had nothing to do with EW other than as a member. I would have been prepared to pay the costs of the vaccinations but not the cost to purchase the dog, which was ridiculous it was over AED 10k, and she was apparently moving abroad and desperate to "rehome". In the end I think it was more that the puppy grew up and she couldnt handle or train the dog. It was nearly 2 and not toilet trained didnt interact well with other dogs or people. We lived in the same complex and I knew the dog. I guess I am also extremely biased when it comes to dogs as I would NEVER let my boy go, even when we moved to Dubai I said to my husband if the dog cant come we arent going. If we move home, he comes with us and we have a "plan b" if anything ever happens here that would result in expats being evacuated and we wont be leaving with assistance of our government. Dogs arent for life, not just christmas or birthdays or until they become big. Really annoys me that many people here abandon dogs once they cant control them or they grow up.
Latest post on 27 March 2013 - 11:31
Hi ecochic, thanks - I do agree with the principle of the vaccination thing, I just hadn't thought about it when pup had hers done. Good idea about the copy receipts (though it was the municipality vet so who knows...!) I just wanted to be able to actually advertise her rather than only relying on the help of the 'homing lady' - it is EW's reaction I am having difficulty understanding really.
Latest post on 27 March 2013 - 11:26
When ever anyone is trying to rehome an animal, it's best to asks for reimbursements of vaccinations, at least for that year as there are many suspicious people out there who want free dogs and honestly may not be able to give it a decent life if not worse. If you do not have vaccination receipts, contact the vet who will be able to give you copies of them. Never give a pet free as most of the time the freebie people are just out for the goodies which comes along with the animal. Only genuine people will pay for the vaccinations plus this way you know that basic care such as health etc would be taken care of apart from a happy home. One more thing, it's best to ask for the potential adopters tenancy contract which states pets are allowed as too many times people take on pets and the building management or LL ask them to move out and breaking a lease can fall expensive or the pet would be back on the rehoming market which is not good for any animal.
Latest post on 27 March 2013 - 11:19
I don't know. She didn't say she was - maybe the ad went up, she complained, they took it down? do you get a mail when the ad goes up? (haven't used the classifieds before)
Latest post on 27 March 2013 - 11:17
Hi littleone, What I was trying to say was, I am supposed to ask for vaccination costs (which is pretty standard across the various rehoming organisations) but don't think I can as I can't find the receipt. Of course the person would get the vaccination book, and the municipality tag, (and her favourite toys, and her blanket......) However immediately after replying to 'mary Smith' I had a message from EW saying 'advert not accepted, blah blah' which seems to be on the basis that the dog isn't 'free'. So now I think mary Smith was not a genuine enquiry - but I also don't think the not accepting is fair :( are you saying Mary Smith was someone from EW admin ??
Latest post on 27 March 2013 - 11:16
Hi littleone, What I was trying to say was, I am supposed to ask for vaccination costs (which is pretty standard across the various rehoming organisations) but don't think I can as I can't find the receipt. Of course the person would get the vaccination book, and the municipality tag, (and her favourite toys, and her blanket......) However immediately after replying to 'mary Smith' I had a message from EW saying 'advert not accepted, blah blah' which seems to be on the basis that the dog isn't 'free'. So now I think mary Smith was not a genuine enquiry - but I also don't think the not accepting is fair :(
Latest post on 27 March 2013 - 11:05
Hi Sandfly, I see where you are coming from and also the other view. For me personally if anyone is looking for reimbursement of vaccination costs I would need to see the proof of the vaccinations and also costs, ie: a vet bill or the vaccination card for the dog. I had looked at adopting a dog from someone in Dubai to be a buddy for my boy and part of our family but when she told me she wanted XYZ Dirhams I was furious and queried why she put an ad on EW that said "free to a good home". If I was in your position I would interview "mary Smith" and see how she interacts with the dog, arrange it at a mutually convenient place and if she deserves to be the pup's carer/parent/owner. Or maybe "mary" is just a tight ar$e!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY