What are the best safety measures during an earthquake?? | ExpatWoman.com

What are the best safety measures during an earthquake??

Latest post on 16 April 2013 - 16:08

wanted a seperate thread here. I always thought you went under a desk or doorway awat from glass/windows
however several are being told to evacuate here

Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 13:43
What shocked me about yesterday was how scared a person could be in a very short time span. What I felt here at home whilst sitting on my bed was very alarming yet nothing in the grand scheme of earth tremors tho even my glasses were shaking on the end of my nose. We build to earthquake standard here, even wee houses, and I'm glad because I'm no longer convinced we live too far away from the fault line to be concerned about earthquakes. Im from Dundee and we dont scare easy by the way :D edited by DesertRose1958 on 17/04/2013 I'm from Alva in Clackmannanshire and about 15 years ago (I think) we had a mild tremor which lasted about 2 seconds. Everyone along the "hillfoots," as we call it, living in the shadow of the Ochil Hills which has a fault line, thought a huge lorry had rumbled along the narrow country road that links the little towns and villages!! <em>edited by JoyceB on 17/04/2013</em>
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 13:00
Is R the only building closed for checks then?
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 11:00
What shocked me about yesterday was how scared a person could be in a very short time span. What I felt here at home whilst sitting on my bed was very alarming yet nothing in the grand scheme of earth tremors tho even my glasses were shaking on the end of my nose. We build to earthquake standard here, even wee houses, and I'm glad because I'm no longer convinced we live too far away from the fault line to be concerned about earthquakes. Im from Dundee and we dont scare easy by the way :D <em>edited by DesertRose1958 on 17/04/2013</em>
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 10:49
[url=http://www.uaeinteract.com/docs/Scientists_seek_disaster_management_plans/15003.htm'>High-rise buildings are being constructed according to the earthquake code in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Sharjah, but smaller buildings and houses are in the greatest danger. [/url'>
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 07:58
Normally I wouldnt react but as mentioned before we all know the building standards here are very poor. Thats the only thing I am worried about. Dont want my roof collapsing on me. You would be very surprised about the quality of engineering and construction here, in a good way. The fact that your mirror is fixed up a little askew and light switches do not perfectly align does not mean that the primary concrete structure does not account for seismic. The municipality has actually very strict engineering requirements and reviews before giving permit to build. I read a few years ago that the high-rises here are built with seismic activity in mind. I have no idea if that's true :)
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 07:29
The advice is to drop to your knees, get under some sturdy furniture (like a table which won't collapse easily) and cover your head and neck with your arms. If nothing to get under, then move near to an internal wall. External walls are more likely to collapse. If in bed, the advice is to stay there and cover your head with a pillow. There was a link posted somewhere yesterday and the advice (based on research) is surprisingly different to what is commonly thought.
Latest post on 16 April 2013 - 19:55
People get evacuated to *just* outside the building, but, wouldn't the chances of glass windows shattering on to the people be higher than the building collapsing?
Latest post on 16 April 2013 - 19:43
Normally I wouldnt react but as mentioned before we all know the building standards here are very poor. Thats the only thing I am worried about. Dont want my roof collapsing on me. You would be very surprised about the quality of engineering and construction here, in a good way. The fact that your mirror is fixed up a little askew and light switches do not perfectly align does not mean that the primary concrete structure does not account for seismic. The municipality has actually very strict engineering requirements and reviews before giving permit to build.
Latest post on 16 April 2013 - 19:34
Normally I wouldnt react but as mentioned before we all know the building standards here are very poor. Thats the only thing I am worried about. Dont want my roof collapsing on me.
Latest post on 16 April 2013 - 19:17
Let's keep this in perspective - what we felt here wasn't a quake, it was a tremor. In a place like Los Angeles or Tokyo, a tremor like today's would be considered so small it wouldn't even be worthy of comment. They certainly wouldn't evacuate for something that small, otherwise they'd be evacuating several times a month. edited by Madge_Gustard on 16/04/2013 I agree, our Japanese colleague thought we were nuts (although to polite to say so). But it was a little scary, I've been in an earthquake in Guatemala so I know first hand how devastating it can be plus I don't trust Dubai building standards. But must remember not to overreact.
Latest post on 16 April 2013 - 18:48
Let's keep this in perspective - what we felt here wasn't a quake, it was a tremor. In a place like Los Angeles or Tokyo, a tremor like today's would be considered so small it wouldn't even be worthy of comment. They certainly wouldn't evacuate for something that small, otherwise they'd be evacuating several times a month. edited by Madge_Gustard on 16/04/2013 I agree but the tremor was according to below a 4 or 5, which is something to some. The NCMS also confirmed that the impact of the Iran earthquake on the UAE ranged between 4 and 5 on the Richter scale.
Latest post on 16 April 2013 - 16:55
Let's keep this in perspective - what we felt here wasn't a quake, it was a tremor. In a place like Los Angeles or Tokyo, a tremor like today's would be considered so small it wouldn't even be worthy of comment. They certainly wouldn't evacuate for something that small, otherwise they'd be evacuating several times a month. <em>edited by Madge_Gustard on 16/04/2013</em>
Latest post on 16 April 2013 - 16:16
Generally, during the actual quake, you are supposed to hide under a desk away from things than can fall on you and windows which may break. However I think the mentality behind evacuation of high rise buildings is, one the initial shock is over, try to take the chance to evacuate before another shock (aftershock or main shock, in case the first shock was a foreshock) hits. And then you try to get as far away from tall buildings as possible towards open ground.
Latest post on 16 April 2013 - 16:16
Ok thanks admin :)
Latest post on 16 April 2013 - 16:15
What to do ? Grab the kids,run outside? where? jump in the car? drive where? Stay in the house or not? under furniture or not? I have really NO idea what to do.
Latest post on 16 April 2013 - 16:14
We were just reading this article- has some great advice http://www.earthquakecountry.info/dropcoverholdon/ HTH
Latest post on 16 April 2013 - 16:14
however several are being told to evacuate here How far away from the building were you able to evacuate just now?
Latest post on 16 April 2013 - 16:10
wanted a seperate thread here. I always thought you went under a desk or doorway awat from glass/windows however several are being told to evacuate here That is true we are back in the office as the civil defence told us it was ok

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY