What a load of twaddle ! | ExpatWoman.com

What a load of twaddle !

Latest post on 18 April 2013 - 20:49
This thread reminded me of a stand up Michael McIntyre did on this exact subject!!!! "It's Leeeeegal Tenderrrrrrr!!!!" Haha, still makes me laugh!
Latest post on 18 April 2013 - 20:24
We deleted the offending posts... Personal attacks are not tolerated. Warm regards, EW Admin
Latest post on 18 April 2013 - 20:21
So they are. I'm glad. <em>edited by Feefmick on 18/04/2013</em>
Latest post on 18 April 2013 - 20:19
JoyceB - glad you are not upset. As a fellow Scot, I have had many experiences similar to yourself. Going to stick my head over the parapet here, LOL - If we read something we don't like or don't agree with then I always think it's better just to ignore it. One never knows the circumstances or feelings of self worth of someone we choose to criticise on a forum. Having worked as a counsellor, I've seen the effects of what online criticism can do to people who may be experiencing a period of stress or simply just not feeling good about themselves at that current moment in time. At the risk of getting a lambasting myself, I really would caution against writing anything negative regarding an individual. We are all different and if we weren't different then the world would be a very boring place. Live and let live. Well put Feefmick....;)
Latest post on 18 April 2013 - 20:17
Came back to have a peek...couldn't work out what was going on .......certain posts removed.
Latest post on 18 April 2013 - 20:16
JoyceB - glad you are not upset. As a fellow Scot, I have had many experiences similar to yourself. Going to stick my head over the parapet here, LOL - If we read something we don't like or don't agree with then I always think it's better just to ignore it. One never knows the circumstances or feelings of self worth of someone we choose to criticise on a forum. Having worked as a counsellor, I've seen the effects of what online criticism can do to people who may be experiencing a period of stress or simply just not feeling good about themselves at that current moment in time. At the risk of getting a lambasting myself, I really would caution against writing anything negative regarding an individual. We are all different and if we weren't different then the world would be a very boring place. Live and let live.
Latest post on 18 April 2013 - 20:03
Never seen the sketch but am sure it is funny! Am certainly proud to be both Scots and British too!
Latest post on 18 April 2013 - 19:32
I think all of this was discussed a few months ago.
Latest post on 18 April 2013 - 02:49
According to the Bank of England.... Are Scottish & Northern Ireland notes "legal tender"? In short ‘No’ these notes are not "legal tender"; furthermore, Bank of England notes are only legal tender in England and Wales. Legal tender has, however, a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he/she owes under the terms of a contract (and in accordance with its terms), or pays this amount into court, he/she has good defence in law if he/she is sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term "legal tender" in its purest sense need not govern a note's acceptability in transactions. The acceptability of a Scottish or Northern Ireland note as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. If both parties are in agreement, Scottish and Northern Ireland notes can be used in England and Wales. Holders of genuine Scottish and Northern Ireland notes are provided with a level of protection similar to that provided to holders of Bank of England notes. This is because the issuing banks must back their note issue using a combination of Bank of England notes, UK coin and funds in an interest bearing bank account at the Bank of England. More information on these arrangements can be found edited by Pikachu on 17/04/2013 Yes, I have seen this statement, amongst others with regards to Scottish notes. It is a nonsense that in our tiny country (UK) that we have this problem. It is rare that we in Scotland refuse to accept an English note when technically they are not legal tender in Scotland! Can you imagine the outrage there would be if Scots restuarants, hotels etc started to refuse English notes?? Just last summer we were in Chester and went to the cathedral. We popped in to the café for a coffee and I handed over a RBS £10 note. The woman looked at it in what I can only describe as disgust and asked if I had any other cash saying that she couldn't accept it. I did but said no. She reluctantly took it and gave me an English fiver as part of my change. She was outraged when I gave the note the same scrutiny then handed it back asking for pound coins instead!! She gave me the coins! Have to say that it is rare that we do have problems though and most people just take our notes without blinking.
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 23:04
According to the Bank of England.... Are Scottish & Northern Ireland notes "legal tender"? In short ‘No’ these notes are not "legal tender"; furthermore, Bank of England notes are only legal tender in England and Wales. Legal tender has, however, a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he/she owes under the terms of a contract (and in accordance with its terms), or pays this amount into court, he/she has good defence in law if he/she is sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term "legal tender" in its purest sense need not govern a note's acceptability in transactions. The acceptability of a Scottish or Northern Ireland note as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. If both parties are in agreement, Scottish and Northern Ireland notes can be used in England and Wales. Holders of genuine Scottish and Northern Ireland notes are provided with a level of protection similar to that provided to holders of Bank of England notes. This is because the issuing banks must back their note issue using a combination of Bank of England notes, UK coin and funds in an interest bearing bank account at the Bank of England. More information on these arrangements can be found at http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/about/scottish_northernireland.aspx <em>edited by Pikachu on 17/04/2013</em>
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 22:48
It always makes me laugh that the only time you ever hear the phrase "I think you'll find it's legal tender" is when Scottish banknotes are being used outwith Scotland - by Scots! I did find somewhere in Spain, north of Barcelona, a few years ago giving a better exchange rate for Scottish notes, 'mon the Spanish!
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 22:11
Irish temptress..... that evokes images !!!!!!!!!! Im English my grand parents children & grandchildren are Irish. So I guess Im a plastic Paddy. I feed the Robbins they are so tame they almost eat from my hand. ( they know they have it good) Rescue donkeys in the field near by & two horses. Cows & calves so nosey they want you to talk to them ( yes truly Irish) Forty shades of green as far as the eye can see. As you say I love this land but resent what has been done to it. No finger pointing here many people loved it when the Celtic tiger roared loudly . Now its whimpering in a corner no one will even call the vet to put it down !!!!! I have time with my Dad who lost my Mum after 60yrs together My grand daughter says I love you so much Nanny, every time I see her & my littlest grandson 2yrs old cries to come with me each time he sees me. Yes I too count my blessings. God bless LT
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 22:00
Go raibh mait agat !!!! I don't see any recovery here, to be honest I can only hope & pray that it comes much sooner than later. I feel so sad & depressed when I fly in over Dublin & think of all the people suffering financialy. I have to say I thank God we can get out. KSA is my next destination. I should be safe though I doubt they will deport me for being the female equivalent of Handsomeness. :) :) Every cloud ......... I have a swallows nest under the bedroom eve.............and a gorgeous big chameleon in our orange tree.............and the jasmine blossom is making the bees drunk. I count my blessings. This is not a bad place to live on bread and olives! But I await the headlines from KSA.....................Irish temptress expelled!!
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 21:59
Makes perfect sense to me. If I was due to travel back home and they tried to give me a Scottish note at the exchange I'd refuse to accept it, and I imagine most people would do the same. Therefore it has a lower value to the bank. But where do you call home? Assuming that you were asking the exchange for "pounds" ..............you would be returning to UK, in which case, any bank would exchange a Scottish note at face value. Which is exactly the same as a pound sterling!! edited by Livelytrish on 17/04/2013 England. But that would involve me having to go out of my way to a bank or going through the usual hassle in a shop/bar/restaurant. Much simpler to just tell the exchange here to give me a Bank of England note instead, and most other English people would do the same.
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 21:53
Go raibh mait agat !!!! I don't see any recovery here, to be honest I can only hope & pray that it comes much sooner than later. I feel so sad & depressed when I fly in over Dublin & think of all the people suffering financialy. I have to say I thank God we can get out. KSA is my next destination. I should be safe though I doubt they will deport me for being the female equivalent of Handsomeness. :) :) Every cloud .........
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 21:53
Makes perfect sense to me. If I was due to travel back home and they tried to give me a Scottish note at the exchange I'd refuse to accept it, and I imagine most people would do the same. Therefore it has a lower value to the bank. But where do you call home? Assuming that you were asking the exchange for "pounds" ..............you would be returning to UK, in which case, any bank would exchange a Scottish note at face value. Which is exactly the same as a pound sterling!! <em>edited by Livelytrish on 17/04/2013</em>
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 21:41
Makes perfect sense to me. If I was due to travel back home and they tried to give me a Scottish note at the exchange I'd refuse to accept it, and I imagine most people would do the same. Therefore it has a lower value to the bank.
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 21:33
They're just as difficult to spend in the UK (England) !! lol Pikachu - I don't understand what you mean - do you mean the UK is England??? Last time I looked, the UK consisted of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Keyamom - there is NOT just one monetary authority in the UK. In Scotland we have three banks which all produce their own notes - Bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland and Clydesdale Bank. NONE are affiliated with the Bank of England. I was using UK as a general term then qualified it by adding England as I was discussing Scottish bank notes....my point was a rather flip one really, that on the occasions I've found myself with Scottish bank notes I've usually had queries and reluctance in accepting them...my understanding has always been that they are legal tender in England and have never actually had any declined in the end...
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 21:30
Im very well thank God. Are you still in Cyprus? When I heard of the scary economic measures they are considering I thought of you . Im here in the land of the green with the wind & rain howling & crashing around me. Im off to Tipperary with my Dad at the weekend. I haven't been for such a long time my Dad was born there. Still here, it's all a bit bizarre really..............in all honesty the island has been struggling economically for the last four years or so.............closing down shops etc and stopped developments. But in small villages like ours, no real difference yet................. Selfishly....or wisely, depending on your moral viewpoint, I only keep the barest minimum of money onshore , so I'm no broker than I was before! But a lot of good honest ordinary people are being hurt by the mess, very very sad. Still, Ireland were in the same boat and are beginning to recover, no? Hope so, have a soft spot for the beautiful green place!! Have a great time with your dad.............Slainthe!!!
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 21:15
Mary Catherine I wasn't being rude to you . I meant they as a general term. You know like the royal "we"
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 21:12
Im very well thank God. Are you still in Cyprus? When I heard of the scary economic measures they are considering I thought of you . Im here in the land of the green with the wind & rain howling & crashing around me. Im off to Tipperary with my Dad at the weekend. I haven't been for such a long time my Dad was born there.
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 21:10
Sorry I did specify Northern Ireland at the beginning of my post.
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 21:01
Hello Lt how on earth are you? :) Yes Hamar Ireland that is the Republic of Ireland has Euro & before that we had Irish punts. At one time Irish punts were equal to English sterling. That change quite sometime ago though. If they mean Northern Ireland they should specify. No point saying Birmingham if they mean Barry In wales. Just saying . I'm good! How's you? Trishx
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 20:59
Hello Lt how on earth are you? :) Yes, Ireland that is the Republic of Ireland has Euro & before that we had Irish punts. At one time Irish punts were equal to English sterling. That change quite sometime ago though. If they mean Northern Ireland they should specify. No point saying Birmingham if they mean Barry In wales. Just saying . <em>edited by Neamhai on 17/04/2013</em>
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 20:55
Honestly I cannot believe anyone NOT being aware of this..............yes, it's crazy (considering that we Scots invented banking as we know it) but it is a fact of life that South of the Tweed, Scots money isn't accepted as the real deal. First happened to me over forty years ago, when i was still young enough to get outraged! Annoying yes, but it doesn't take a lot of effort to make sure you are given Sassenach notes before you travel!!
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 20:53
[url=http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/about/faqs.aspx#16'>Some interesting facts[/url'>t
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 20:51
This link may help to understand why banks outside the UK and Ireland are reluctant to accept pound notes issued by Scotland and Ireland. uyer. So Ireland issues them too? Doesn't Ireland use the euro? I think they mean Northern Ireland
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 20:50
This link may help to understand why banks outside the UK and Ireland are reluctant to accept pound notes issued by Scotland and Ireland. uyer. So Ireland issues them too? Doesn't Ireland use the euro?
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 20:45
The Scottish pound notes are not legal tender, even in Scotland. In the UK they are not allowed to charge exchange rates, but I do believe that the Scottish one has often been valued at slightly less, except during the oil boom days.
Latest post on 17 April 2013 - 20:42
This link may help to understand why banks outside the UK and Ireland are reluctant to accept pound notes issued by Scotland and Ireland. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknotes_of_the_pound_sterling while Wikipedia is not a gold standard source - as a banker, I can see why countries outside the UK and Northern Ireland don't recognize these notes at par. Despite what you may think, these notes are more expensive to handle for any bank, and difficult to "turn over" in that there is little demand for them outside Scotland and Ireland, thus handling fees are more expensive. Banking is a business like any other and if the product is more difficult to authenticate and turn around and sell it - yes, it has less value to the buyer.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY