PU/PD - Anyone tried it and what was the outcome? | ExpatWoman.com

PU/PD - Anyone tried it and what was the outcome?

Latest post on 22 April 2013 - 00:00
TDB and kiwispiers, sorry I assumed wrong. It's great that those methods work, of course they're far more reassuring than controlled crying or CIO, but unfortunately they didn't work with my kids. Had to resort to controlled crying. Oh well, whatever works!
Latest post on 21 April 2013 - 20:55
Ellabella when I say I pat my baby off to sleep I don't mean while she cries, if she cries I pick her up. When I put her to bed I lay her in her cot and pat her or rub her bottom and she goes off to sleep, no crying. At the moment she still needs that patting as a cue for her to go to sleep, my son had a dummy which was a much more convenient cue I must say!
Latest post on 21 April 2013 - 18:28
PU/PD is a crying method despite the way the baby whisperer portrays it. The difference is that the baby is crying with you present, rather than alone. I would have considered it with an older baby, had we needed to but personally not at 5 months. I do have family members who used it, but they ended up doing CIO later on, si I guess it didnt work for them. Without debating the ethics of sleep training, I will just add, my son is almost three, was never sleep trained and is an excellent sleeper. Sleep training definetely does work in many cases, but equally, babies who are not sleep trained, will also in their own time learn to self settle, although it may not be as early as 5 months. I'm pointing that out because I was constantly hassled by well meaning family who were convinced if we didn't "train" him to self settle, he would never learn and it simply wasnt true. We worked hard from birth to create sleep associations and he could be simply placed in his bed, and would go off to sleep with zero soothing by around 4 months, he still needed food in the night until around 13 months though, from which point he started sleeping through and has ever since. My daughter is now 6 months and needs patting to sleep still, but she has needed a lot more soothing since birth, all babies have different needs in that respect but we are getting there slowly. Before you consider ANY form of training, especially a crying based one, you do need to make sure there are no medical issues that can be causing discomfort. Whether or not its ok to ignore a baby crying for security/reassurance is an issue mums are divided on, but I don't think anybody would think its appropriate to withhold comfort from a baby crying in pain. edited by kiwispiers on 21/04/2013 I'm no expert but From my experience sitting next to a child under one yr and patting or touching him but not carrying him through his cries is even more difficult because the child can't understand why the parent is there but not picking him/her up. I tried that for some time but didn't work well with us. I guess no method is easy, just what works for each family.
Latest post on 21 April 2013 - 17:52
PU/PD is a crying method despite the way the baby whisperer portrays it. The difference is that the baby is crying with you present, rather than alone. I would have considered it with an older baby, had we needed to but personally not at 5 months. I do have family members who used it, but they ended up doing CIO later on, si I guess it didnt work for them. Without debating the ethics of sleep training, I will just add, my son is almost three, was never sleep trained and is an excellent sleeper. Sleep training definetely does work in many cases, but equally, babies who are not sleep trained, will also in their own time learn to self settle, although it may not be as early as 5 months. I'm pointing that out because I was constantly hassled by well meaning family who were convinced if we didn't "train" him to self settle, he would never learn and it simply wasnt true. We worked hard from birth to create sleep associations and he could be simply placed in his bed, and would go off to sleep with zero soothing by around 4 months, he still needed food in the night until around 13 months though, from which point he started sleeping through and has ever since. My daughter is now 6 months and needs patting to sleep still, but she has needed a lot more soothing since birth, all babies have different needs in that respect but we are getting there slowly. Before you consider ANY form of training, especially a crying based one, you do need to make sure there are no medical issues that can be causing discomfort. Whether or not its ok to ignore a baby crying for security/reassurance is an issue mums are divided on, but I don't think anybody would think its appropriate to withhold comfort from a baby crying in pain. edited by kiwispiers on 21/04/2013 I'm no expert but From my experience sitting next to a child under one yr and patting or touching him but not carrying him through his cries is even more difficult because the child can't understand why the parent is there but not picking him/her up. I tried that for some time but didn't work well with us. I guess no method is easy, just what works for each family.
Latest post on 21 April 2013 - 17:45
Hi Elabella, Thanks for your comment but I want to avoid the crying methods. If anyone has used PU/PD Id be interested to hear your experience Thanks! I totally understand since we also didn't want any crying with our first child. He had terrible sleep until he turned four and half and I delivered my 3rd child!! Until then I didn't have a decent nights sleep. Thankfully, now that they've all been trained I can leave the house at 7pm and be back by 6 am knowing none of the kids will need me at night (there are exceptions, illness, etc) but most nights are a full nights sleep for me now hamdilla (ever since youngest was 4mnths) I know the crying is difficult, but even with my toughest child it didn't take more than a week. It took my nephew one night. But you have to choose a. Method that works for you and your child. I'm sorry I don't know much about the PU/PD method. Good luck and all the best.
Latest post on 21 April 2013 - 16:30
PU/PD is a crying method despite the way the baby whisperer portrays it. The difference is that the baby is crying with you present, rather than alone. I would have considered it with an older baby, had we needed to but personally not at 5 months. I do have family members who used it, but they ended up doing CIO later on, si I guess it didnt work for them. Without debating the ethics of sleep training, I will just add, my son is almost three, was never sleep trained and is an excellent sleeper. Sleep training definetely does work in many cases, but equally, babies who are not sleep trained, will also in their own time learn to self settle, although it may not be as early as 5 months. I'm pointing that out because I was constantly hassled by well meaning family who were convinced if we didn't "train" him to self settle, he would never learn and it simply wasnt true. We worked hard from birth to create sleep associations and he could be simply placed in his bed, and would go off to sleep with zero soothing by around 4 months, he still needed food in the night until around 13 months though, from which point he started sleeping through and has ever since. My daughter is now 6 months and needs patting to sleep still, but she has needed a lot more soothing since birth, all babies have different needs in that respect but we are getting there slowly. Before you consider ANY form of training, especially a crying based one, you do need to make sure there are no medical issues that can be causing discomfort. Whether or not its ok to ignore a baby crying for security/reassurance is an issue mums are divided on, but I don't think anybody would think its appropriate to withhold comfort from a baby crying in pain. <em>edited by kiwispiers on 21/04/2013</em>
Latest post on 21 April 2013 - 12:35
Hi - tried PU/PD as suggested by baby whisperer it works! but you need a lot of willpower and patience for all his naps and bedtime i would just wrap him up and place a hand on him till he slept but then we forgot how crazy life is without a routine and went of the wagon for a while by which time he was older so we saw cecile de scaly - she runs baby sense in dubai charger around 250aed per session she worked out a routine for us and was available on the phone / email for additional support following her advice we moved him into the nursery (out of our room) and did CIO when your doing it it doesn't feel right - as a mother your instincts tell you to run and carry your baby but the reality it works after 3 days he started going to bed with no issues now at 3 years old - we read him a story - pray and say goodnight - and he sleeps till around 7am when he is tired - he can go to bed with no issues even during the day my daughter on the other hand - has allergies etc so we didn't do any form of sleep - and we can see the major difference
Latest post on 21 April 2013 - 10:28
Hi Elabella, Thanks for your comment but I want to avoid the crying methods. If anyone has used PU/PD Id be interested to hear your experience Thanks!
Latest post on 21 April 2013 - 08:35
Hi mks. Her name was Malika and she lives in London. Some of her clients fly her here (business class) for sleep training or behavior training for their kids, I and many other ladies were lucky enough to have her in town when we needed it. So I only had to pay her fees 8k about a yr and half ago, she's increased them since. It lasted 5 days in my case and 7 for some others. You have to provide her with a room and obviously she's a guest in the house, so food as well :) anyway she isn't in Dubai now but I will check to see if she or any of her trained staff will be coming over Anytime soon. Give me a day plz :)
Latest post on 21 April 2013 - 01:50
I feel your distress! My DD was 4months when she started to have terrible sleep. I resorted to hiring a professional 'nanny' to sleep train her and teach me how to maintain it. It was the best decision I ever made and best money I ever spent. She used the controlled crying method, you start with 5min intervals and move your way up...I've rained my 3rd child as well now and all kids I bed by 7pm and I'm off to do the dishes! It's the best thing you could do for you and your child. Was this in Dubai? Can we have her contact plz?
Latest post on 20 April 2013 - 22:31
I feel your distress! My DD was 4months when she started to have terrible sleep. I resorted to hiring a professional 'nanny' to sleep train her and teach me how to maintain it. It was the best decision I ever made and best money I ever spent. She used the controlled crying method, you start with 5min intervals and move your way up...I've rained my 3rd child as well now and all kids I bed by 7pm and I'm off to do the dishes! It's the best thing you could do for you and your child.
Latest post on 20 April 2013 - 20:37
Our LO is almost 5 months and cannot self settle. We are NOT prepared to use CIO but had considered the PU/PD method. Has anyone used this? I am just starting my research on it now but was wondering if anyone has any experience, good or bad? TIA!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY