Moving to Hong Kong | ExpatWoman.com

Moving to Hong Kong

Latest post on 28 April 2013 - 14:05
Wow, what a lot of great information thanks so much, really useful.
Latest post on 23 April 2013 - 19:49
I can't answer your questions apart from running. There used to be a good running club called Hong Kong Runners. we lived in Guangzhou and used o go to Hong Kong once a month or so. I loved: 1 the hiking - you could take a short taxi ride and hike all day seeing no one . Pretty surreal,as out in the wilderness but all the skyscrapers down below. 2. I loved this islands...Lammas Island is one of my favourite places and that restaurant with the big tree in middle of courtyard! Lantau etc also fab. 3. Taking the Star ferry is something I never tired off. 4. Hovercraft to Macau and then lunch at Fernandos - best chicken, bread, shrimps nd salad that I ever tasted. Fernandos is an institution. 5. Stanley market.
Latest post on 23 April 2013 - 19:08
Forgot to add there are many public tennis courts and running trails (HK Island)
Latest post on 23 April 2013 - 19:05
Hi Beachbum British Schools: Kellet School and many of the English Schools Foundation (ESF) schools. It depends on where you will live though because traffic can be/ is a nightmare. Dogs: Parkview, Stanley, Shek O, Tai Tam, Shouson Hill, Southside, Pokfulam - all on HK Island and dog-friendly. On Kowloon side/ New Territories, Clearwater Bay and Sai Kung. Discovery Bay is a lovely community, a 30-minute ferry ride from Central. I am not sure about British secondary schools in Discovery Bay though. Also not sure about quarantine and pets per visa. Housing prices: varies widely depending on the area. Also bear in mind some 3-beds are under 1,000 sq ft whereas some 2-beds are over 2,000 sq ft. It is impossible to find similar sized properties for similar rent as in Dubai. For reference, take a look here: http://www.househunters.com.hk/ Riding lessons: I rode at the Pokfulam Public Riding School and the Tuen Mun Public Riding School, information provided in Metro's reply. There could be a long waiting list though depending on the abilities of the rider (beginners on 2-year waitlist). There is also the Clearwater Bay Equestrian Center and the Lowu Saddle Club, both lovely and a little more expensive. At the top end is the Hong Kong Jockey Club in Fanling, HKD1,200 for 50-minute private lessons. Sailing, yes very easy to access. We had a hobie in Tai Tam, there is also a club in Deepwater Bay and in Causeway Bay. Running clubs: http://www.hkrunners.com/node/18 There is a ladies tennis league and many youth leagues. Most private recreational clubs also run their own tennis leagues and running clubs. HTH, if you have any questions, feel free to ask I might be able to help.
Latest post on 23 April 2013 - 14:24
HK is an amazing place, we visited friends there a couple of years ago, I'd reitterate what other posters have said about it being costly, our friends are both lawyers and have a very small (but very nice!) apartment in mid-levels which is build on a steep hill and accessible via a huge escalator/moving staircase which is surrounded by bars spilling out onto the street in the evenings. It's certainly a work hard play hard culture and yes the norm is to start a little later but work a lot later, apparently within most companies the expectation is that noone leaves until the boss does and if you have a work-a-holic boss then you're in trouble! That was the aspect which would make me hesitate about living there, other than that its a fantastic place with a whole lot of culture and things to see in comparison to Dubai. Would definitely urge you to go visit if you can, sorry I cant help with the other questions.
Latest post on 23 April 2013 - 13:48
Thanks for info so far, much appreciated. If there is anyone out ther who could help with some of the unanswered questions too, I'd be grateful.
Latest post on 21 April 2013 - 14:04
Wow!!! I was there 10 days ago and loved it so much I'd like to move there too! The only thing I can tell you is about one of the places we visited that seemed very doggy friendly, loads of dogs, upmarket petshop (with a doggy deli counter!) and a specific doggy lift in the mall! It was called Stanley and I want to live there!
Latest post on 21 April 2013 - 13:21
Hi, I have only second hand knowledge of things there but it might help. I am visiting HK next month for a holiday and will be meeting up with friends who live there. One re-located a few months ago and is living in a shoe-box sized apartment in the New Territories which was all they can afford on the allowance given by the company. There is a lovely Marina there though so I guess sailing is available easily. The other lives in mid levels in Central and has a small two bed apartment and pays more than 250,000AED - you can get very large villa here for that but not in HK. Can you get a re-location visit? HK is one of the most expensive cities in the world. It is an amazing place though!
Latest post on 21 April 2013 - 08:54
Hi Ladies, A move to Hong Kong seems to be likely to happen for us. Can you please let me have any info on the following: British schools, secondary level, with caring, supportive learning ethos Areas to live where we can have a dog or two, is it true dogs and cats have to go into quarantine, and is it true only one pet is allowed per working visa? House rental prices for 3/4 bedroom + maid's room Riding lessons - average cost/accessibility Sailing - is it easy to access? Running clubs? Tennis clubs? Many thanks in advance