Finding a job in Dubai...where to start?! | ExpatWoman.com

Finding a job in Dubai...where to start?!

Latest post on 28 April 2013 - 09:19
Thank you for your advice everybody...it really is appreciated. If I am in the position to support myself for a couple of months could the option be to find temporary work initially so I can then add Dubai employers to my CV and then work on a more permanent job? Is temporary work widely available to UK nationals? Also, I was surprised to hear about the house shares in Dubai, do you have any recommended websites that I could view? Thanks again! Laura You have to be sponsored by Husband or Father etc to temp in Dubai, they are not paid very well at all ( Much less than a perm role) As for house shares it is actually illegal and someone on here has just been kicked out of their villa for sharing so be aware of this I do not know if this applies to apartments though although man/woman who are not related cannot live together
Latest post on 28 April 2013 - 09:09
Check out our job vacancy listings here http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_jobs.aspx Good luck!
Latest post on 28 April 2013 - 09:08
Even with previous Dubai experience and 2 degrees, it took me 7 months to find work once I moved here. The market is picking up, but unfortunately not quickly enough to sustain all the expats who move here for work. Some people get lucky, but the average turnaround time seems to be 6 to 7 months.
Latest post on 26 April 2013 - 19:52
Networking, networking, being kind to anyone, networking, networking...
Latest post on 26 April 2013 - 19:39
There is really no such thing as (legal) temp work unless you have a residency visa...which you can't have unless you are working for a company who sponsors you, or husband/brother.
Latest post on 26 April 2013 - 19:29
Thank you for your advice everybody...it really is appreciated. If I am in the position to support myself for a couple of months could the option be to find temporary work initially so I can then add Dubai employers to my CV and then work on a more permanent job? Is temporary work widely available to UK nationals? Also, I was surprised to hear about the house shares in Dubai, do you have any recommended websites that I could view? Thanks again! Laura
Latest post on 24 April 2013 - 15:56
I moved over to Dubai without a job and managed to sort out cheap house share and some temp jobs to last me until i got a permanent job - it took me 6 months in total. I already had ME experience thou. I also had quite a bit of savings.
Latest post on 24 April 2013 - 15:54
Gulf Talent is also a good website and would suggest sending your CV through to Michael Page Recruitment.... they were the best for contacting me when I was out of work and looking for a PA/Executive Secretary type job..... As pinks said... I would not look at coming over without one as it is an expensive place to live but on the downside to that, a lot of employees would rather employ locally, preferably to people who already have UAE experience and also with hiring locally, they do not have to offer an international package..... I would maybe suggest coming over for a month, you can rent apartments on a montly basis.... although more expensive than normal rent and then scour the job market and meet people.... I would definately contact the agencies before then as it can take some time for any interest to start coming through.... Another good place for jobs seems to be Qatar... not as busy as Dubai but they are expanding and many people living in Dubai have made the move over there........ I use GT alot other agencies however it is best to be here morgan mckinley BAC M.E Kershaw Leonard
Latest post on 24 April 2013 - 15:49
Gulf Talent is also a good website and would suggest sending your CV through to Michael Page Recruitment.... they were the best for contacting me when I was out of work and looking for a PA/Executive Secretary type job..... As pinks said... I would not look at coming over without one as it is an expensive place to live but on the downside to that, a lot of employees would rather employ locally, preferably to people who already have UAE experience and also with hiring locally, they do not have to offer an international package..... I would maybe suggest coming over for a month, you can rent apartments on a montly basis.... although more expensive than normal rent and then scour the job market and meet people.... I would definately contact the agencies before then as it can take some time for any interest to start coming through.... Another good place for jobs seems to be Qatar... not as busy as Dubai but they are expanding and many people living in Dubai have made the move over there........
Latest post on 24 April 2013 - 09:47
Hi Laura If you do a search you'll find this question has been asked many times, and the general answer is do NOT come here without getting a job first! It's an expensive place to live without an income, and if you don't have contacts out here (and even if you do), it can take many months to find a job, and then when you do, sort all the paperwork out before you actually start. Finding somewhere to stay short term will be expensive, plus you'll need health insurance, plus monthly visa runs too. Not sure where you are from but rents are similar to London for an apartment in a 'nice' area, but you can of course live much more cheaply in less desirable areas (I'm single so have no experience of villa prices). Check out websites like dubizzle.com for prices of apartments, cars, etc. You'll may also compete in the market with highly qualified and experienced people from non-western nationalities who will be paid much less than you may be expecting. Highly recommend you get your CV up on monstergulf and other such websites (the recruiters do use these here to search for candidates), promote yourself on LinkedIn, and call anyone you might fancy working for (and call, and call). Recruitment agencies are not the best solution here - you won't get the same level of service being a candidate as you would back home. Be prepared for a long slog! Saying that, lifestyle is fantastic, and I still love living and working here after nearly 5 years, so give it a go!
Latest post on 23 April 2013 - 21:21
Hi everybody, I am new to the site so forgive me if there has been a similar post recently! I am thinking about moving to Dubai in the next few months but need to weigh up my options first. The thing that concerns me the most is finding a job, for those who are actually living and working in Dubai...what is the job market like at the moment? Are there jobs out there or is it quite tough in securing a position? I have a law degree but my working background has been in administration, specifically in sales and project coordination and I have worked as a P.A also. Could anybody recommend whether there are jobs available in this field? Please be honest! Finally! What salary allows a fairly comfortable lifestyle in Dubai? As I hear that accommodation is very expensive?! Any information would be greatly welcomed. Thank you in advance, Laura

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY