Feeling a bit isolated | ExpatWoman.com

Feeling a bit isolated

Latest post on 05 May 2013 - 15:16

I have been in Dubai for over 6 months now and have made acquaintances, but not friends. I am returning to the US for 7 weeks next month (can't wait) but know that I will be coming back to isolation and need to change that! I admit that I have not attended coffee mornings though I don't have any good reason other than I am still a bit uncomfortable venturing out alone. I am without a job, children, or a car. Since husband works Downtown and we are right by Marina metro (in JLT), there isn't an urgent need for one.

Most days I don't mind but today I suppose I am feeling a bit down about it. I exercise at home so don't have much need for gym membership at the moment and have been taking ballroom dance lessons. I would not even say I am bored, just missing human interaction and girlfriend time :) I know there are many groups, the coffee mornings, book clubs, etc., I just can't seem to get myself involved. I do feel a bit better putting it out there though!
edited by Closer2fine on 05/05/2013
<em>edited by Closer2fine on 05/05/2013</em>

Latest post on 20 May 2013 - 10:02
@ Closer2fine It is 5 min to 10 Monday morning, I have waited to see if you wanna do coffee morning, but no news from you :( lets try again. Now I feel little left out !!!
Latest post on 19 May 2013 - 10:49
The coffee morning is tomorrow, are you coming there or not?????
Latest post on 18 May 2013 - 11:04
@closer2fine Admin just deleted my email address, if you are intrested in meeting up, lets do the coffee morning. If you like, right to me Hi @RamC. Sorry, I have not logged in a while and missed your message. I have been sick for just over a week, but back to feeling normal! Do you currently attend the coffee mornings? If so, which one? Hi, welcome back :) I do not, but if you want we can meet at Costa coffee Monday morning in Marina Promenade. the 19th, do you want to?
Latest post on 16 May 2013 - 14:38
@closer2fine Admin just deleted my email address, if you are intrested in meeting up, lets do the coffee morning. If you like, right to me Hi @RamC. Sorry, I have not logged in a while and missed your message. I have been sick for just over a week, but back to feeling normal! Do you currently attend the coffee mornings? If so, which one?
Latest post on 07 May 2013 - 13:54
I also used to live in DC, right near Kramerbooks! So far the closest thing here is Book Munch in the new development near Safa Park... You can read any of the books while you have a bite... Not exactly the same size or the same vibe but at least a book theme... I lived at 17th and Q! Every sunday was Kramerbooks and the NY Times crossword puzzle! Those were the days ...
Latest post on 07 May 2013 - 13:46
@closer2fine Admin just deleted my email address, if you are intrested in meeting up, lets do the coffee morning. If you like, right to me
Latest post on 07 May 2013 - 13:32
Admin, appreciate the suggestion. However, even the "early bird" coffee morning would not work for someone who is employed full time unless they have an extremely flexible schedule. 8:30am for coffee in the Meadows doesn't leave much time to meet and chat assuming you need to be at an office elsewhere in Dubai by 9am.
Latest post on 07 May 2013 - 13:17
Hi there! Meet ups are not allowed to be arranged on the forum unfortunately, for many reasons. Please arrange to meet at one of our hosted Coffee Mornings... click the coffee morning tab to see a list of them http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_events_whats_on.aspx Just pick one that suits you and we look forward to seeing you there. HTH
Latest post on 07 May 2013 - 12:49
I also used to live in DC, right near Kramerbooks! So far the closest thing here is Book Munch in the new development near Safa Park... You can read any of the books while you have a bite... Not exactly the same size or the same vibe but at least a book theme...
Latest post on 07 May 2013 - 11:40
My dear Closer2fine From what I hear, we are going to be a great match. I love dancing, and very social and I have same problem. I meet a lot of people, but no friends!!!!! I live very close to you and I do have a car so we can hang out!! I don’t have kids either and no job and my husband travels alot! meaning I have lot of free time.
Latest post on 07 May 2013 - 11:29
I lived in DC after grad school for a couple years, as well.
Latest post on 07 May 2013 - 11:25
Another DC alum here! I saw someone's post on another topic talking about Kramer Books. Sigh. I know we should branch out, but I also felt very isolated when I first got here. Us DC ladies need to stick together! :)
Latest post on 05 May 2013 - 21:52
Where in the US are you from? I am originally from St. Louis, Missouri, but lived in the Washington DC area for almost 4 years prior to moving to Dubai. I went to grad school in DC! <em>edited by Quinn10 on 06/05/2013</em>
Latest post on 05 May 2013 - 21:43
Where in the US are you from? I am originally from St. Louis, Missouri, but lived in the Washington DC area for almost 4 years prior to moving to Dubai.
Latest post on 05 May 2013 - 19:40
Where in the US are you from?
Latest post on 05 May 2013 - 17:07
Ah thanks Quinn, still is one of my favorites.
Latest post on 05 May 2013 - 17:03
Love the name ... used to be one of my favorite songs!
Latest post on 05 May 2013 - 15:28
I'll freely admit that despite having kids and a job. I feel the same way from time to time. American as well. Nevertheless, I'm glad I forced myself to get out when we first arrived and I have made a few friends. Try the coffee mornings if for none other reason than it will force you to get out and interact with others. I guarantee you won't regret it even if you don't meet anyone you click with. Are you an Indigo Girls fan? (Hence the screen name?) That makes me feel better. I know, I know, part of the problem is the forcing myself out of the comfort zone. At 34 years old, I just feel so old around some of the people I have met out here. Prefer pubs to clubs, comfort to cuteness, rock to pop... And YES, Indigo Girls is one of my favorites.
Latest post on 05 May 2013 - 15:21
I'll freely admit that despite having kids and a job. I feel the same way from time to time. American as well. Nevertheless, I'm glad I forced myself to get out when we first arrived and I have made a few friends. Try the coffee mornings if for none other reason than it will force you to get out and interact with others. I guarantee you won't regret it even if you don't meet anyone you click with. Are you an Indigo Girls fan? (Hence the screen name?)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY