Dubizzle users/sellers, mini rant. | ExpatWoman.com

Dubizzle users/sellers, mini rant.

Latest post on 08 June 2013 - 19:33
Well, I must say some of your are lucky that Dubizzle and EW classified worked for you. I have used both but nothing fruitful till date. I want to sell off my 3 seater sofa for just Dh500. People call just to waste time. I have given up hope of selling anything... my last resort will be going to the flea market :D BTW can someone tell me what and where can i find local notice boards?
Latest post on 05 June 2013 - 18:16
I have sold on dubizzle..and the biggest gripes... people who turn up so late it really is beyond rude...and try to negotiate before they even come...aggghhh! I have a set of girls Cilek shelves and a desk and chair currently advertised but I do post my phone number every time,but have sold car,furniture etc... Some of us are genuine...sorry you are having a frustrating experience . Yes...if it is too good to be true...then it really is! Thanks Anne G, looked at a car this morning and the owner had omitted to say that there was a seat missing, it had been replaced with a cool box. Never mind, we'll get there:-) Sorry Bongo, but that did make me giggle.... a coolbox!! Could come in handy at some point I suppose. Pop one on the babies in it and you'll save on a car seat!
Latest post on 05 June 2013 - 18:04
I have furnished most of my current villa through Dubizzle and sent a full container of furniture and electronics back home to furnish a flat and villa. The experience has been great, met very nice people except for one very unpleasant couple but they were selling a very special kitchen table and chairs that I had to get for my villa so made the deal and got it
Latest post on 05 June 2013 - 17:23
Try our Classifieds... http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_classifieds.aspx HTH Thank you, I shall have a look.
Latest post on 05 June 2013 - 17:20
I have sold on dubizzle..and the biggest gripes... people who turn up so late it really is beyond rude...and try to negotiate before they even come...aggghhh! I have a set of girls Cilek shelves and a desk and chair currently advertised but I do post my phone number every time,but have sold car,furniture etc... Some of us are genuine...sorry you are having a frustrating experience . Yes...if it is too good to be true...then it really is! Thanks Anne G, looked at a car this morning and the owner had omitted to say that there was a seat missing, it had been replaced with a cool box. Never mind, we'll get there:-)
Latest post on 05 June 2013 - 17:16
Bongo we have a cot bed we will be selling soon. Oak mamas and papas. Let me know if its what you are looking for and I can take pics. Hi nicedaynat Ooo yes please do let me know, would love to see a pic. We are about to have twins so as much as we would love everything brand new, it would be quite an expense for two!
Latest post on 05 June 2013 - 14:06
Try our Classifieds... http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_classifieds.aspx HTH
Latest post on 05 June 2013 - 10:55
I would only book timings for people to come and view items when I know I will be home anyway. That way if they dont show up i cant be too bothered because I didnt have anywhere else to be at that time. Also make it clear on the phone you are not reducing the price or what would be your last price because I am always weary of those buyers who are very excited on the phone and have no problems with the price. They just want to come and see the item now! When they arrive they are the ones who usually want the biggest discounts! If somebody doesnt show up without even a phone call/message to cancel I dont entertain that person again. Good luck!
Latest post on 05 June 2013 - 10:52
agreed - i am moving and am selling all my furniture ..a buyer turned up 2 hours late for my tv yesterday and now even for a brand new king size bed - buyers expect me to sell at really low prices !! ridiculous <em>edited by divalicious7 on 05/06/2013</em>
Latest post on 05 June 2013 - 10:42
I have sold on dubizzle..and the biggest gripes... people who turn up so late it really is beyond rude...and try to negotiate before they even come...aggghhh! I have a set of girls Cilek shelves and a desk and chair currently advertised but I do post my phone number every time,but have sold car,furniture etc... Some of us are genuine...sorry you are having a frustrating experience . Yes...if it is too good to be true...then it really is!
Latest post on 05 June 2013 - 10:17
I am all for dubizzle as we have bought and sold many items. As a seller I always list my phone number but I am very firm even though I am willing to negotiate, If a buyer keeps canceling on me I just do not entertain their calls anymore and before I even get into the description of the item I ask the buyer their budget and if it's something ridiculous, i thank them for their interest and wish them all the best in their search. As a buyer, I deal pretty much the same way I would like to be treated so when I call I first ask if the price is negotiable and to what extent. I do not want to waste the sellers time asking product questions if we are not going to agree on a price. I am also realistic about the prices as with technology upgrades, products lose they value rather fast. Overall, it's been a pleasant experience for me.
Latest post on 05 June 2013 - 08:53
I have always posted on Dubizzle (usually for large items) and Souq.com for smaller items for the last few years. You are absolutely right that there are lots of annoying time wasters out there. I only post on Dubizzle nowadays since Souq.com is being super ridiculous with their T&Cs and charging high fees. I have heard so many complaints from buyers that they were frustrated because the Ads don't jive with reality. So they were always pleasantly shocked to see the items I have put in front of them look exactly like the photos I put up. I never lift any images off the internet, I always take time to take photos of the actual items to be listed. I had a major move out sale few months ago (unfortunately open house wasn't possible), I met all nice people (except 1 annoying no time concept person who wasted a lot of my time) by already agreeing to the prices etc on emails. By the time you meet them, it's simply to exchange $ with item. i have sold 3 great cars and lots of furniture and accessories on dubizzle. So it can be done if you have the patience and not in a big rush. Emails corresponds work better than phone as you would have screened off the opportunistic bottom fishers (did my first dubizzle sale with phone listed, what a time wasting nightmare) Also, if a deal is too good to be true, it probably is :) If people will remember a few golden rules like "don't do unto others what you don't want others do unto you", "what goes around comes around", "karma is a b*tch", the world will be a better place.
Latest post on 05 June 2013 - 07:08
Bongo we have a cot bed we will be selling soon. Oak mamas and papas. Let me know if its what you are looking for and I can take pics.
Latest post on 04 June 2013 - 21:19
Sorry should have been more clear......household goods I priced at 50% DEF not car.Check Dubizzle and see what the dealers are asking for similar car then work from there...:)
Latest post on 04 June 2013 - 21:16
Oh dear! Is there anywhere else you can sell? I have a villa full of stuff I will need to get rid of over the next 5/6 weeks or so + two cars!! Would be grateful for any advice. Sorry to hijack, never done this here before! Buttercup, what cars are you selling? If they are Nissan Armada's or Ford Expeditions, I am interested! Park and Shop adverts always do well for car sales. Afraid not, we are selling a Dodge Durango and an old merc convertible!
Latest post on 04 June 2013 - 21:13
Oh dear! Is there anywhere else you can sell? I have a villa full of stuff I will need to get rid of over the next 5/6 weeks or so + two cars!! Would be grateful for any advice. Sorry to hijack, never done this here before! Buttercup, what cars are you selling? If they are Nissan Armada's or Ford Expeditions, I am interested! Park and Shop adverts always do well for car sales.
Latest post on 04 June 2013 - 21:07
Unfortunately everything you are experiencing is not uncommon here, I have never successfully sold anything on Dubizzle, always get plagued with time wasters and the same goes for buying and selling cars. Have you looked here on the EW classifieds, I find the posters on here much more reliable. Using Dubizzle always reminds me of the fact that there is only a five per cent difference between man and chimpanzees. Thanks Di@DXB, will look on here. I just do not understand why people advertise something to sell and then can't be bothered to make an effort to meet a buyer and make a bit of money back. Never mind, still quite new to Dubai, so still learning how it works!
Latest post on 04 June 2013 - 21:05
I have bought and sold lots of things on Dubizzle and while there are always time wasters, I can identify them a mile away. I'm pretty happy with it, overall. I find its REALLY important to be super clear in your ad, describe everything, always put photos, basically answer all questions a buyer might have so you don't have to send 10 emails back and forth about the condition or that little scratch on the bottom or whatever. Also, buyer always comes to you.
Latest post on 04 June 2013 - 20:50
i find when selling and buying that using email and not posting my phone number works best. it avoids tire kickers and you can send or request more images that way. both baby related things i've posted recently sold in days without annoying hagglers. You must be lucky, I have never posted my phone number on Dubizzle & always only used email but that made no difference at all, still got nothing but time wasters. In fact it was very tiresome dealing with people who kept emailing for details that were clearly described in the ad, then they would come around having agreed on the "last price" when I have said absolutely no further reduction and waste my time again trying to haggle it down to a piffling amount. I had a brand new bed to sell last month and in the end I gave it way rather than be ripped off with a stupid offer.
Latest post on 04 June 2013 - 20:20
i find when selling and buying that using email and not posting my phone number works best. it avoids tire kickers and you can send or request more images that way. both baby related things i've posted recently sold in days without annoying hagglers.
Latest post on 04 June 2013 - 20:19
Oh dear! Is there anywhere else you can sell? I have a villa full of stuff I will need to get rid of over the next 5/6 weeks or so + two cars!! Would be grateful for any advice. Sorry to hijack, never done this here before! Get rid of cars first and rent for remainder of your stay.... been there many times....use local notice boards and always put up loads of pictures.Be reasonable with prices I found 50% of original price plus would negotiate from there.Start as soon as possible and spend last few nights in a hotel.HTH All the best with your move with the fur babies. OP Dubizzle can be VERY frustrating , I always found local notice boards so much more successful.As someone also mentioned EW classifieds can also be successful.
Latest post on 04 June 2013 - 20:10
Oh dear! Is there anywhere else you can sell? I have a villa full of stuff I will need to get rid of over the next 5/6 weeks or so + two cars!! Would be grateful for any advice. Sorry to hijack, never done this here before!
Latest post on 04 June 2013 - 20:05
Unfortunately posting here will not help since a lot of dubizzle sellers are not on this forum. Although there are some serious sellers on Dubizzle, it is also full of jokers and time wasters, so it's for you to decide if you really want to try buying from there.
Latest post on 04 June 2013 - 19:34
The dreaded Dubizzle, I once advertised a 1 bed apartment as a job lot, had a fella turn up to buy the kettle, grrrr. It became so stressful I gave everything away to one lady.
Latest post on 04 June 2013 - 19:25
Unfortunately everything you are experiencing is not uncommon here, I have never successfully sold anything on Dubizzle, always get plagued with time wasters and the same goes for buying and selling cars. Have you looked here on the EW classifieds, I find the posters on here much more reliable. Using Dubizzle always reminds me of the fact that there is only a five per cent difference between man and chimpanzees.
Latest post on 04 June 2013 - 18:26
I am politely asking that people post the correct image of the product they are trying to sell, please do not mislead and waste everyone's time. We were trying to buy a cot bed which ended up being totally different from the picture advertised. Obviously the image was lifted off the internet, which is fine, but make sure it's the right bed image. We are also trying to buy a car and are fed up with arranging a time in which to visit, calling up half an hour before to get directions, as requested by the seller, to then find seller has decided to take the car out for a drive! Seriously, I have a toddler and am pregnant with twins, I do not wish to spend my time in the car on the SZR to be taken for a 'ride'. Please have some consideration for others, especially when it involves handing over large amounts of hard earned cash for cars, which are not cheap over here. I am a big fan of Dubizzle and know not everyone takes the ****, but really, we all have busy lives to lead.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY