Moving with a newborn and 20 month old to al reef.......very scared! | ExpatWoman.com

Moving with a newborn and 20 month old to al reef.......very scared!

Latest post on 07 June 2013 - 17:00

Hi everyone,

My husband has taken a position at BCAD and they have placed us in a 3 bedroom villa in al reef, he leaves in August and I won't be joining him till December due to me being pregnant with our second child and I have so many questions.....

I will be coming with a newborn and need to find somewhere to do the baby's immunisations so if you any information I would be grateful, secondly I'll also have my daughter who will be 20 months by the time we come so could you recommend activities to do with her. Lastly, could someone please give me some insight into life at al reef?

Sorry to be a pain but in addition to all this I'm currently doing a TEFL course and hoping to find some work once the baby is about 6 months what are the chances of me finding something with a tefl certificate? And any info on nannies and what their salary expectations are I would be eternally grateful.

I know I have gone on but I'm just so worried about this move and I would love the insight of people who have gone through this.

Thank you in advance
<em>edited by Mummyagain77 on 07/06/2013</em>

Latest post on 12 June 2013 - 00:38
Hello SA_babe, Thank you for the welcome I'm sorry for the late response, come to think of it what you're saying is true once I've got used to the routine of having two children, it won't give me much time for anything else unless I find a nanny. How long have you been living in AD? I'm just wondering for all the ladies on here with children how easy it is to do day to day things with the kids, without the convenience of walking I say this because where I live now everything is within walking distance and I enjoy taking the pram out with my daughter and I'm constantly hearing Abu Dhabi is a driver's city so I'm thinking no more leisurely strolls round the neighbourhood. Sorry I waffled on abit I think it's the hormones or the anxiety that the move is drawing ever closer.
Latest post on 09 June 2013 - 13:24
welcome to the neighbourhood! my first child was also 20 months when no2 arrived at the time i lived in the marina but found it didn't matter where you lived with 2 small kids - you days go just bathing feeding and sending them to bed ...lol there are 2 parks in al reef - so walks to the park to allow your 20 month to run around and you to get some fresh air sand meet other mums might be all you would be able to manage in the first few months anyway there are some kids activities nearby
Latest post on 08 June 2013 - 21:49
Thank you busybee2 for the info, also I was reading on the many forums I read now that al reef has no shops nearby so I was curious are there supermarkets and butchers nearby. Also do the supermarkets deliver to the houses like they do in the UK. Thanks again ladies al reef does have a little shop, but no the nearest supermarket is emirates general market in shawamekh or abelas at etihad plaza, or spinneys etc at raha beach. no we dont have anything like tescos doing delivery. some of the little shops in kca at the pink shops do local delivery but doubt they would be to al reef, there will be shops at shahama which is the closest local area.
Latest post on 08 June 2013 - 19:05
Thank you busybee2 for the info, also I was reading on the many forums I read now that al reef has no shops nearby so I was curious are there supermarkets and butchers nearby. Also do the supermarkets deliver to the houses like they do in the UK. Thanks again ladies
Latest post on 07 June 2013 - 18:40
Hi everyone, My husband has taken a position at BCAD and they have placed us in a 3 bedroom villa in al reef, he leaves in August and I won't be joining him till December due to me being pregnant with our second child and I have so many questions..... I will be coming with a newborn and need to find somewhere to do the baby's immunisations so if you any information I would be grateful, secondly I'll also have my daughter who will be 20 months by the time we come so could you recommend activities to do with her. Lastly, could someone please give me some insight into life at al reef? Sorry to be a pain but in addition to all this I'm currently doing a TEFL course and hoping to find some work once the baby is about 6 months what are the chances of me finding something with a tefl certificate? And any info on nannies and what their salary expectations are I would be eternally grateful. I know I have gone on but I'm just so worried about this move and I would love the insight of people who have gone through this. Thank you in advance edited by Mummyagain77 on 07/06/2013 dont worry there are loads of families in al reef, a lot of the bsak teachers/families live there and there will be others that go to bcad too. you can do the baby immunisations at the local seha clinics if you want, or i have done them in dr mcculloughs clinic but that is in town next to al noor hospital.
Latest post on 07 June 2013 - 18:28
Hi danielle77, I will be moving from London and leaving a big family network so I'm nervous.... But thank you for invitation I will definitely take you up on that offer, I'm hoping to do the CELTA once I get to AD. I heard that al reef has a lot of families so I'm looking forward to hopefully meeting some women that are in the same situation as me.
Latest post on 07 June 2013 - 18:12
Dont be scared theres lots of us in Al Reef! You can pop over for a tea when u get here. I live in the apartments and have two older boys, 7 and 9. I don't know if the TEFL course will be accepted unless its Celta or whatever, also lots of places want you to have experience. I work in a nursery (but this is what i did in England). I fit it in with my kids schhol hours, we dont have a nanny, but lots of people do. Al Reef is further out from the main island but it doesnt take long to get there or to BCAD. There are lots of taxis and there is a mall around 10 mins away. Where are you moving from?