Question for those who have sold everything to move | ExpatWoman.com

Question for those who have sold everything to move

Latest post on 12 June 2013 - 08:36

This is probably a really stupid question but I have never sold anything before!
We are moving to Thailand in around 5ish weeks. We can't take anything with us. I have looked on Dubizzle and the amount of stuff like ours that is being sold is scary so I feel we need to start now. What do you do if you still have time here but people are buying your stuff? If your cooker sells, or your fridge? Or do you leave the essentials until last minute?

Would really appreciate your input!

TIA :)

Latest post on 12 June 2013 - 13:05
BCup let us know if there are any goodies that the EW will snap up. Top of my list: * breadmaker * air fryer * coffee machine :) you need more gadgets? really? You can never have enough gadgets, that is why I am taking mine with me, including my air fryer! Can't bare to part with them, even down to my zester lol
Latest post on 12 June 2013 - 12:51
BCup let us know if there are any goodies that the EW will snap up. Top of my list: * breadmaker * air fryer * coffee machine :) you need more gadgets? really?
Latest post on 12 June 2013 - 11:50
Hi Buttercup You can also use this site to sell all of your goodies. This is one of the first sites that expats visit when they move here. Just click on the classifieds tab in the top right hand corner and start selling. Good luck!! EW Admin Thank you Admin. Going to get everything sorted then just upload it all at once!!
Latest post on 12 June 2013 - 11:27
Hi Buttercup You can also use this site to sell all of your goodies. This is one of the first sites that expats visit when they move here. Just click on the classifieds tab in the top right hand corner and start selling. Good luck!! EW Admin
Latest post on 12 June 2013 - 10:12
Hi Buttercup Been thinking about you and hope this move will be a nice fresh start - good luck wtih your new life in Thailand :) OK so Dubizzle - here's what to do: * Post all your non essential items now - coffee table, rugs, pictures, lamps, vases, bookcases, dining table and chairs etc * I am sure you have nice stuff so you can charge decent prices. The items going for 100dhs or less are the things that were already bought second hand from cr@ppy stores! There are loads of expats arriving all the time who shop on Dubizzle and are willing to spend good money. I've bought loads of nice things on there from the One and paid good money so don't go rock bottom * Nearer the move date, start selling white goods and things like crockery, sofa, TV, DVD player. Yes the house will be sparse but all you really need in the end is your bed. If the cooker goes, well you will have to eat takeaway! Now is a good time to have an open house sale * Last week - sell the bed. It is a good idea to have this advertised from weeks in advance, and arrange pick up on your last day. * If you really can't sell stuff then use Take My Junk - they are excellent and can show up at short notice. They take anything and everything. You will be surprised that you can make a decent amount of money, don't think no one wants your old dustbin or breadmaker or iron or whatever - 100aed here and there soon adds up. Yes it will take patience and time to weed out timewasters but then you will prob find a young couple rocks up and buys loads! Always show other things you have for sale when someone comes over. Good luck!!! Hi TDB, Thank you so much. Things are looking up and the both of us are looking forward to this new start. Everything noted! I was just going to give away small stuff thinking no one would want it, but you are right, every little helps. Going to get it all done (she says lol ) over the next couple of days. You do not realise just how much stuff you have until something like this happens lol
Latest post on 12 June 2013 - 09:59
It may be hard for your machines but smaller decor items, curtains, clothes and dishes you can take to the Dubai flea market to sell? Not sure if getting a table is worth it to you but I'm sure you could make some fast cash. See if you can split a table with someone?
Latest post on 12 June 2013 - 09:59
I chose to sell everything to move here on Craigslist in the US, very similar system. I would recommend a slightly different approach if you can live without big items like a TV, sofas, etc. I would recommend starting NOW with big ticket items you can live without. The first thing I sold was my TV, which would kill some!!, but the benefit was having the time to sell it at the price I wanted to get. The last 2 weeks at home I lived off of the bare minimum- a few stools in my kitchen, my laptop equipment, an airbed!!, etc. I made money off of some items and left with so much more cash than if I had waited to sell the big stuff in the last few weeks. The closer I got to the big moving day the more I lowered prices. The week before moving I did a yard sale - but by that time everything important was sold so I was OK with practically giving them away. Not sure how you could go about doing a yard sale here though!
Latest post on 12 June 2013 - 09:55
Do you have a dish washer? i am looking for one; and also a cooker.......
Latest post on 12 June 2013 - 09:49
Loube, thank you so much. I had a gut feeling we should start right now. Some stuff we have only had around 8-10 months and know we are going to get very little for them because there is so much out there! I do have a suite that I will be giving to take my junk so will use that if we get rid of the one we are using. Off to get the camera out :) Thanks again :)
Latest post on 12 June 2013 - 09:28
absolutely START NOW! For the essentials you can sell and tell the Buyer when they can pick up OR put it on the advert. Be prepared to give white goods away...or sell them for very little if you still have them in the last week. There is always TAKE MY JUNK! even though you may not call it junk. I had to give away a 7 seater sofa set and a TV cabinet...on the sofa front there were over 200 sofa sets for sale at under 100 dhs...so if you get an offer take it, as it maybe the best you get! Always remember folks have to pay for a man with a van so that gets factored into whatever they are prepared to pay. Do not start at half price for new things because people will want to knock you down to half of that price...even though you may have the receipts etc to show what you have paid And most of all Good Luck in your new adventure....I lived in Bangkok for 5 years and loved it! Have Fun! <em>edited by loube on 12/06/2013</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY