Travelling thru Dubai Airport during Ramadan | ExpatWoman.com

Travelling thru Dubai Airport during Ramadan

Latest post on 07 July 2013 - 09:29

Hello everyone,

This is my first experience of Ramadan and I am travelling on Saturday with my 3 children back to the UK. I suppose we will be in the airport around 2 and a half hours before we board. What are the rules with regards eating and drinking in the airport and also on the aircraft?

Thank you in advance
X

Latest post on 07 July 2013 - 12:31
I did not fast when I was pregnant but had some friends/relatives do so (some were in third trimester). Recently heard a scholar talk about how the provisions given to us in Islam are a mercy from Allah and to still insist on doing them is like saying you know better/rejecting His mercy. I am sharing as I thought it was an interesting perspective. Yes, that is a good point. Sometimes I think people mix up cultural beliefs with the religion.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 07 July 2013 - 12:20
I did not fast when I was pregnant but had some friends/relatives do so (some were in third trimester). Recently heard a scholar talk about how the provisions given to us in Islam are a mercy from Allah and to still insist on doing them is like saying you know better/rejecting His mercy. I am sharing as I thought it was an interesting perspective. Yes we have been given these blessings and we should be grateful. Same as with traveler prayers. I was in Holland for a week and the prayer times are crazy. I was so happy I was able to combine and shorten them.
Latest post on 07 July 2013 - 12:17
I did not fast when I was pregnant but had some friends/relatives do so (some were in third trimester). Recently heard a scholar talk about how the provisions given to us in Islam are a mercy from Allah and to still insist on doing them is like saying you know better/rejecting His mercy. I am sharing as I thought it was an interesting perspective.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 07 July 2013 - 11:25
Islam has provisions for travelers for a reason...one is not a hero by fasting when they've been given the right not to. Yes and I agree that a flight to the USA would be hard, and I do not suppose that some think that they are 'heros' in doing so. Well there are people who think if they make it more difficult for themselves they will get more reward.
Latest post on 07 July 2013 - 11:23
Islam has provisions for travelers for a reason...one is not a hero by fasting when they've been given the right not to. Yes and I agree that a flight to the USA would be hard, and I do not suppose that some think that they are 'heros' in doing so.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 07 July 2013 - 11:07
I've had to travel to the US during Ramadan...didn't fast that day and made up for it after. When travelling such distances (i.e., to the USA), it would be quite foolish and unhealthy to fast, given that you arrive there earlier in the day, and therefore could be potentially fasting for close to 24 hours. Islam has provisions for travelers for a reason...one is not a hero by fasting when they've been given the right not to. Agreed.
Latest post on 07 July 2013 - 11:05
I've had to travel to the US during Ramadan...didn't fast that day and made up for it after. When travelling such distances (i.e., to the USA), it would be quite foolish and unhealthy to fast, given that you arrive there earlier in the day, and therefore could be potentially fasting for close to 24 hours. Islam has provisions for travelers for a reason...one is not a hero by fasting when they've been given the right not to.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 07 July 2013 - 10:47
I have traveled in Ramadan and airlines serve food as usual. A Muslim isn't required to fast during travel so it's a different situation from "on the ground". I am not sure about the airport, but anyway kids are allowed to eat and drink in public. Yes that is true, and it is true that airside is normal and international space, so to speak. Marroosh, do you know of muslims who actually don't fast when traveling (since air travel is not like camel travel back in the day)? I am simply curious, as in our family it has never been a reason to break a fast, but wondered what you thought. I haven't traveled during Ramadan as a Muslim, but it depends on where you go and how far. I'm not sure what my friends do.
Latest post on 07 July 2013 - 10:45
I have traveled in Ramadan and airlines serve food as usual. A Muslim isn't required to fast during travel so it's a different situation from "on the ground". I am not sure about the airport, but anyway kids are allowed to eat and drink in public. Yes that is true, and it is true that airside is normal and international space, so to speak. Marroosh, do you know of muslims who actually don't fast when traveling (since air travel is not like camel travel back in the day)? I am simply curious, as in our family it has never been a reason to break a fast, but wondered what you thought.
Latest post on 07 July 2013 - 09:38
Hello everyone, This is my first experience of Ramadan and I am travelling on Saturday with my 3 children back to the UK. I suppose we will be in the airport around 2 and a half hours before we board. What are the rules with regards eating and drinking in the airport and also on the aircraft? Thank you in advance X Airside is exempt from Ramadan so business as usual
Latest post on 07 July 2013 - 09:36
As I understand it, travellers are exempt from fasting. I THINK the f&b outlets air-side are open during Ramadan, although maybe discretely? Someone else here should be able to confirm. Food and drink service on the plane is all business as usual.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 07 July 2013 - 09:35
I have traveled in Ramadan and airlines serve food as usual. A Muslim isn't required to fast during travel so it's a different situation from "on the ground". I am not sure about the airport, but anyway kids are allowed to eat and drink in public.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY