To Muslim ladies: breastfeeding and fasting | ExpatWoman.com

To Muslim ladies: breastfeeding and fasting

Latest post on 07 July 2013 - 12:40

Im breastfeeding my 8 weeks baby and would like to read about your experiences regarding fasting/not fasting while nursing young babies. What you did and what made you decide to fast/ not fast during Ramadan.

Thanks and Ramadan Mubarak to you all x

Latest post on 11 July 2013 - 11:29
Thank you ladies for all the helpful replies! I managed to fast the first day Ok alhamdulillah. Also fasting today inshallah...probably will do 2 days and rest for the third...will see how it goes :) May Allah accept it from us all x
Latest post on 09 July 2013 - 13:59
I haven't fasted in the last two years due to being pregnant and I still have, oh about 58 of those 60 missed fasts to make up. My dd1 is now 7 months and I'm planning on fasting. I cannot make up any more fasts than I already have to! Haha my sister fasted last year with a 6 mo ebf baby and said just drink lots of water. InshaAllah khair. Ramadan Kareem to you and your families. edited by Chi2dxb on 09/07/2013 <em>edited by Chi2dxb on 09/07/2013</em>
Latest post on 09 July 2013 - 13:41
My baby was only a month old when the Ramadan arrived and I chose not to fast. I was already struggling with frequent nursing and eating sufficiently. However, now she's 1yr old and nurses only 4times/day. I'm planning to fast this ramadan; though I'll see how the first couple of days go. If I feel too weak, I'll quit fasting. My baby's health is my first priority over religious rituals.
Latest post on 07 July 2013 - 19:52
im exclusively breast feeding my 11 week old daughter and at her last check up i asked the doc if it's ok to fast. She told me as long as i drink gallons of water at suhoor and iftar i'm good to go. So im planning on fasting every day as normal. If i notice my baby is fussy or feel she's not getting enough milk then ill postpone my fasting days til she reaches 6 months and starts solids and needs less milk inshAllah
Latest post on 07 July 2013 - 15:39
When breastfeeding, I have opted to fast one day, then skip the second, fast the third day, etc. I prepare the following suhoor: before sleep, place 3 stoned dates in a cereal bowl, pour over milk to cover, then cover bowl w plastic wrap and keep in fridge. At Suhoor (before Fajr), I warm up the milk and dates and then add weetabix or porridge or bran flakes cereal. This, along with 1-2 big glasses of water, really helped me keep up breast-feeding while fasting. Also, do the obvious like avoid being outside when the temp is high (9.30 am to 4pm) to avoid water loss thru sweating. Also make lots of du'a asking Allah SWT to help you in your efforts to obey Him. However, my children have never been as young as 8 weeks. They have been at least 7 months old and their diet was supplemented with additional water and solid food. Personally, I wouldn't fast, but if you really want to, I would suggest you start with every 4th or 5th day, and see how you and baby feel. <em>edited by Apricot on 07/07/2013</em>
Latest post on 07 July 2013 - 14:06
I just posted a little while back on another thread regarding being pregnant and fasting. To the OP; I did not fast when I was pregnant/breastfeeding. My first born came on the last day of Ramadan and the second one on the first day of Ramadan. I recently heard a scholar speak about the provisions Allah gives us as part of the religion and that these are a form of mercy from Him. The scholar spoke about people who still insist on (for example fasting when pregnant) not taking these provisions and that this is a way of rejecting His mercy/showing that you know better than Him. I found it to be a very interesting perspective and have thus shared it here. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.
Latest post on 07 July 2013 - 12:51
Hi! I did not fast during pregnancy and nursing. I didn't want to jeopardize the safety of my baby. And while nursing I was drinking gallons of water per day. So it was either fasting and stopping breastfeeding or continue to nurse and do my fasting days later on. Good luck with your choice!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY