Ginnee - Not going To Forgive You... | ExpatWoman.com

Ginnee - Not going To Forgive You...

Latest post on 12 July 2013 - 17:22

Third Iftar tonight and another unanimous request by those from the first night for that delicious Umm Ali recipe to be made.

My weight is going to sore so high! (But do I actually care....no.... as I have zero willpower to resist just that one more bowl :-) )

Latest post on 21 August 2013 - 14:49
Thanks a bunch Ginnee, it's such a good recipe :) i added a tsp of ground cardamom too, yumm! Also remembered to take pictures and send them in :) Yesssss!! Send pics to Admin and get them to put it next to the recipe on the site :) Cardamom sounds like a nice addition.
Latest post on 21 August 2013 - 14:47
Thanks a bunch Ginnee, it's such a good recipe :) i added a tsp of ground cardamom too, yumm! Also remembered to take pictures and send them in :)
Latest post on 21 August 2013 - 13:25
The only thing I can think of is that your 5jumbo croissants weren't jumbo enough. Its also a matter of personal taste, some like it runny and others don't. You could eye-ball it to a certain extent and add an extra half a croissant and see if the mixture seems lessrunny. U can usually tell to a certain extent before u put it in the oven. I like mine a bit runny and ive used normal spinneys croissants in mine. the jumbo ones made it a bit thick for my taste. The longer you leave it out, the thicker is becomes as the croissants absorb more milk . Its such a good recipe and its very forgiving if you change stuff in it .. Thanks Ginnee x
Latest post on 21 August 2013 - 12:51
Copied the recipe going to make it soon DH just loves ummali ..... Thanks for posting the recipe
Latest post on 21 August 2013 - 12:50
Thanks Ginnee. You may be right.. Now I know what to look out for the next time I make this (which will be pretty soon!). Dangerously addictive :) thats true. since Ramadan my family had this 6 times and still I am thinking to make it again on coming Friday :D Oh my gosh!!! I haven't had it for a long time now because once I start, I can't stop. with my 4 ft 11 frame I can't afford to gain weight, I already have 2 kg's to lose after Ramadan!! lol Gennee, Can you give me Kunafa recipe? I asked in my recent thread but 40 views with no replies :) <em>edited by sunlight on 21/08/2013</em>
Latest post on 21 August 2013 - 11:22
Thanks Ginnee. You may be right.. Now I know what to look out for the next time I make this (which will be pretty soon!). Dangerously addictive :) thats true. since Ramadan my family had this 6 times and still I am thinking to make it again on coming Friday :D Oh my gosh!!! I haven't had it for a long time now because once I start, I can't stop. with my 4 ft 11 frame I can't afford to gain weight, I already have 2 kg's to lose after Ramadan!!
Latest post on 21 August 2013 - 11:07
Thanks Ginnee. You may be right.. Now I know what to look out for the next time I make this (which will be pretty soon!). Dangerously addictive :) thats true. since Ramadan my family had this 6 times and still I am thinking to make it again on coming Friday :D
Latest post on 21 August 2013 - 10:55
Thanks Ginnee. You may be right.. Now I know what to look out for the next time I make this (which will be pretty soon!). Dangerously addictive :)
Latest post on 21 August 2013 - 10:43
Thanks Ginnee. You may be right.. Now I know what to look out for the next time I make this (which will be pretty soon!).
Latest post on 20 August 2013 - 19:36
Emailed the recipe to my daughter, so she can get some practice in before we go home for a holiday ;) Have a great hol, GE :-)
Latest post on 20 August 2013 - 19:35
The only thing I can think of is that your 5jumbo croissants weren't jumbo enough. Its also a matter of personal taste, some like it runny and others don't. You could eye-ball it to a certain extent and add an extra half a croissant and see if the mixture seems lessrunny. U can usually tell to a certain extent before u put it in the oven.
Latest post on 20 August 2013 - 15:37
I tried this yesterday and it tasted delicious. However, I'm not sure about the consistency of the pudding. I used a deep french white corningware casserole dish and I baked it at 180C for about 15 min until I could see it bubbling. Then I let it sit for 20 odd min before serving. Should there still have been a lot of very runny milk at the bottom after baking? I know the dessert is supposed to be moist and gloopy but this was quite liquid-y so I'm not sure if I did something wrong. I brought the milk/cream/condensed milk mixture to a boil and poured it over the croissants and nuts. Are we supposed to boil it and reduce it before doing that? Any tips appreciated! Thanks!
Latest post on 12 August 2013 - 12:01
Emailed the recipe to my daughter, so she can get some practice in before we go home for a holiday ;)
Latest post on 12 August 2013 - 12:00
Emailed the recipe to my daughter, so she can get some practice in before we go home for a holiday ;)
Latest post on 12 August 2013 - 11:52
Hi Freaking92, So glad your family liked it :) It's just so easy to make and yet so impressive. Don't ever tell your guests how easy it is :) I'm thinking of trying this with white chocolate and raspberries with chopped madadamia nuts or something. But first mission - lose the Ramadan weight!! I've put on so much, I do it every year :( Do let us know how did it turned out with white chocolate, sounds yum :) We all gain during Ramadan even I am trying to lose Ramadan weight :D
Latest post on 11 August 2013 - 14:20
Hi Freaking92, So glad your family liked it :) It's just so easy to make and yet so impressive. Don't ever tell your guests how easy it is :) I'm thinking of trying this with white chocolate and raspberries with chopped madadamia nuts or something. But first mission - lose the Ramadan weight!! I've put on so much, I do it every year :(
Latest post on 09 August 2013 - 01:51
Hey Ginnee, a big big hug to you for this awesome recipe. I made it on Tuesday and Oh boy what a success it was. Everyone loved every bit of it, specially the flavor of rose water, I just loved it. Didnt get to update earlier as I got busy with Eid preparations and shopping, but no doubt this was the Award winning recipe of Ramadan 2013, as someone else also said. All the leftovers was finished by me, as I craved it badly late night :D A big Thank You for sharing the recipe. And Eid Mubarak :)
Latest post on 06 August 2013 - 10:50
Happy you liked it P, I'm sure your rellies in Lithuania will be impressed, give them a taste of Arabia :)
Latest post on 05 August 2013 - 14:12
Ginee, I made it a few weeks ago and forgot to thank you here! :) I have never made anything like this before, but it turned out really really nice. My boy who is 5 loved it. I will be making this to my family in Lithuania end of this week when I go on a holiday! :)
Latest post on 05 August 2013 - 11:32
Hi Ginnee, so finally I am going to try out your recipe tomorrow, me and my family has never tried Umm Ali before, want them to introduce to something new. Just to make sure that no mistakes happen, as I am a beginner with cooking, do I have to use the broiler or the bottom heating element? ( I have a gas oven). Sorry for the dumb question, I am a lil bit confused :/, dont know much about the oven. Just know how to bake cakes lol. Yep, CW is right. I've never used a gas oven before, but just use the same settings for baking a cake. All you really want to achieve is some golden colouring on top, so take it out when it's looking nice, don't leave it in too long (more than 10 min's I'd say) as it will dry out. Enjoy!! Report back and tell us how it was :D
Latest post on 05 August 2013 - 10:28
Hi Ginnee, so finally I am going to try out your recipe tomorrow, me and my family has never tried Umm Ali before, want them to introduce to something new. Just to make sure that no mistakes happen, as I am a beginner with cooking, do I have to use the broiler or the bottom heating element? ( I have a gas oven). Sorry for the dumb question, I am a lil bit confused :/, dont know much about the oven. Just know how to bake cakes lol. Then set it the same as you would for baking a cake. That will be fine.
Latest post on 05 August 2013 - 04:49
Hi Ginnee, so finally I am going to try out your recipe tomorrow, me and my family has never tried Umm Ali before, want them to introduce to something new. Just to make sure that no mistakes happen, as I am a beginner with cooking, do I have to use the broiler or the bottom heating element? ( I have a gas oven). Sorry for the dumb question, I am a lil bit confused :/, dont know much about the oven. Just know how to bake cakes lol.
Latest post on 23 July 2013 - 21:37
Yep, think that will do it next time! I think I will also experiment with different things as well, I cant believe how easy this was!
Latest post on 23 July 2013 - 21:33
Finally made it tonight - it looked fantastic when it came out! It was not very sweet though - I didn't have any rose water. I used milk, Almarai cooking cream and Carnation milk. Should I have used something else? I can always add some sugar next time. DH luvvved it :) Made too much just for 2 so cold Umm Ali tomorrow! Thats strange, because its a very sweet recipe. maybe just add a couple of tbls sugar to the pot?
Latest post on 23 July 2013 - 21:24
Finally made it tonight - it looked fantastic when it came out! It was not very sweet though - I didn't have any rose water. I used milk, Almarai cooking cream and Carnation milk. Should I have used something else? I can always add some sugar next time. DH luvvved it :) Made too much just for 2 so cold Umm Ali tomorrow!
Latest post on 23 July 2013 - 14:21
Nestle invite people to submit recipes. Their own chefs test them out before adding them to their website. I did once write in to them about a recipe that did not work and the ingredients were way out of proportion and in hindsight quite obviously incorrect. Well, Nestle were mortified and they sent their 2 reps around to my house with a massive gift basket of lovely goodies. They really are a super company. That sounds like the calibre of a huge company, which they are. Nice to know.
Latest post on 23 July 2013 - 14:14
I quite like the idea of adding coconut but not sure how it will taste, has anyone tried it? Also what's desiccated, like powdered? Stovetops version sounds yum too. Sounds so rich it's almost sinful !! :) desiccated is tiny pieces, dried. You find bags of it is Choithrams and other grocery stores.
Latest post on 23 July 2013 - 13:51
Nestle invite people to submit recipes. Their own chefs test them out before adding them to their website. I did once write in to them about a recipe that did not work and the ingredients were way out of proportion and in hindsight quite obviously incorrect. Well, Nestle were mortified and they sent their 2 reps around to my house with a massive gift basket of lovely goodies. They really are a super company.
Latest post on 23 July 2013 - 13:46
How funny, a 'middle eastern' recipe using vanilla essence. This is quite similar to my recipe, apart for the omission of milk. Nestle has a fantasic assortment of Arabic recipes. You can search under Cuisine and find Levant and Arabian recipes. I've never tried them though, not sure how authentic they are.
Latest post on 23 July 2013 - 12:21
[url=http://www.nestle-family.com/recipes/english/by-method-baked-dishes_Umm-Ali_17186.aspx'>Nestle Recipe[/url'>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY