IB Vs National Curriculum | ExpatWoman.com

IB Vs National Curriculum

Latest post on 19 July 2013 - 07:19

After being out of the UK for some years now I felt it time to do a little research into these two curriculums as all I seem to hear from people is IB is the way to go and that is the way it is going in the UK .I did a little search and came up with these figures , they may not be correct but the most up to date available on net . Whilst the UK has over 3900 secondary schools and more than 21300 primary schools it only has 175 IB schools . So why does it seem that here in UAE everyone wants IB ?

Latest post on 10 November 2013 - 13:34
I am a former IB student from 2009 (graduated from university in the UK and now working). I would not recommend IB as it is too much pressure/stress for 16-18 year olds, which is quiet unnecessary, unless education is extremely easy for your child and they plan to go to Harvard, Oxford or Cambridge. If your kids are looking to go to university in the UK it is far better to do the A levels as it is easier to get very high marks in. For a comparison the IB has 6 subjects and A levels only 3 that count, while the IB grading system is not evaluated correctly on UCAS and universities, as in universities in the UK require a much higher grade in IB then they do in A levels, which are not even close to being equal, therefore puts IB students at a disadvantage for UK universities. interesting insight. thanks for your post.
Latest post on 08 November 2013 - 18:49
I am a former IB student from 2009 (graduated from university in the UK and now working). I would not recommend IB as it is too much pressure/stress for 16-18 year olds, which is quiet unnecessary, unless education is extremely easy for your child and they plan to go to Harvard, Oxford or Cambridge. If your kids are looking to go to university in the UK it is far better to do the A levels as it is easier to get very high marks in. For a comparison the IB has 6 subjects and A levels only 3 that count, while the IB grading system is not evaluated correctly on UCAS and universities, as in universities in the UK require a much higher grade in IB then they do in A levels, which are not even close to being equal, therefore puts IB students at a disadvantage for UK universities.
Latest post on 14 September 2013 - 18:13
Please tell me which schools offer a choice of either IB or A Levels as I am not aware of any here .
Latest post on 14 September 2013 - 14:10
IB is more recognized among Universities today. Whilst it is a more challenging curriculum then the British/American/Australian/Indian etc. students thrive in it. I've noticed not only a difference in my children but other students as well. If you note most schools here in Dubai offer a choice for the final years, IB being among them.
Latest post on 21 July 2013 - 14:33
IB is for international students that's why its more popular with expats. A levels are more recognized in the UK and preferred by Unis there.
Latest post on 21 July 2013 - 13:26
IB is the latest trend. Thats why its popular here. Lol!
Latest post on 20 July 2013 - 19:54
Very interesting and informative read thank you
Latest post on 19 July 2013 - 09:16
We've a really great article about it the different curriculums v each other here written by a mother who's been through it http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_education_International_Baccalaureate_vs_A_Levels_And_Scottish_Highers_10551.aspx

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY