Is it just me or? | ExpatWoman.com

Is it just me or?

Latest post on 21 July 2013 - 22:10

Is it just me or why do I feel that this forum is less and less an expat forum for expat women?
Where is the solidarity and sisterhood compassion? I think some of you might understand what I mean...

Latest post on 22 July 2013 - 12:18
Some of the more outlandish stuff ends up on Twitter by the way...just so you know! Maid stuff or high end expat diva fits! I have never come across a forum that moves so quickly as this one. I don't think so. It is as good or is it bad (?) as Twitter itself! I can see how some can get really glued to this forum...................................... On that note,..................
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 22 July 2013 - 11:58
I agree, too much religious talk in completely unrelated threads, along with constant reminders of which country we reside in and to respectful or else leave etc... I havent really seen any disrespectful comments to begin with! The reminders usually are a result of people not understanding things don't go the way they go back home.
Latest post on 22 July 2013 - 11:49
Some of the more outlandish stuff ends up on Twitter by the way...just so you know! Maid stuff or high end expat diva fits!
Latest post on 22 July 2013 - 11:03
It does seem to be less western/British focused than a few years ago but that may be reflective of the general demographic changes in Dubai. My friends in the Ranches and Emirates Living have commented their neighborhoods are much more diverse now than they were back in 2008/2009. What has been the biggest change in the tone of the forum topics? I'd say that there are more incidents where someone evokes Islamic traditions/Sharia laws in a thread (usually by a convert) and many of us don't rebut or say anything in fear of being seen as criticising an obviously very important religion and culture for the region. Perhaps that's why the forum seems a bit dull these days as we don't seem to have any healthy discussions about anything anymore as we're afraid of offending someone or a culture. I would say that I have to agree with this, I was just saying to someone yesterday that the changes on EW were similar to changes in Dubai. I do have to say there are some religious threads started here that really should be discussed on different forums. I agree with you. Religious questions should be posted on Islamic forums. This is not the place for debates about religion, which asking a question usually leads to on here. <em>edited by AnonDubai on 22/07/2013</em>
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 22 July 2013 - 10:47
It does seem to be less western/British focused than a few years ago but that may be reflective of the general demographic changes in Dubai. My friends in the Ranches and Emirates Living have commented their neighborhoods are much more diverse now than they were back in 2008/2009. What has been the biggest change in the tone of the forum topics? I'd say that there are more incidents where someone evokes Islamic traditions/Sharia laws in a thread (usually by a convert) and many of us don't rebut or say anything in fear of being seen as criticising an obviously very important religion and culture for the region. Perhaps that's why the forum seems a bit dull these days as we don't seem to have any healthy discussions about anything anymore as we're afraid of offending someone or a culture. I would say that I have to agree with this, I was just saying to someone yesterday that the changes on EW were similar to changes in Dubai. I do have to say there are some religious threads started here that really should be discussed on different forums.
Latest post on 22 July 2013 - 10:45
I think women are just far too sensitive and expect EW posters to be their best friends. Just like we don't get along with everyone in real life, we're not going to get along with everyone in the virtual world. It's nothing to be offended or sensitive about. There are many other forums, some even "harsher" than EW, just find one that suits you. <em>edited by Sakhifa on 22/07/2013</em>
Latest post on 22 July 2013 - 10:43
It does seem to be less western/British focused than a few years ago but that may be reflective of the general demographic changes in Dubai. My friends in the Ranches and Emirates Living have commented their neighborhoods are much more diverse now than they were back in 2008/2009. What has been the biggest change in the tone of the forum topics? I'd say that there are more incidents where someone evokes Islamic traditions/Sharia laws in a thread (usually by a convert) and many of us don't rebut or say anything in fear of being seen as criticising an obviously very important religion and culture for the region. Perhaps that's why the forum seems a bit dull these days as we don't seem to have any healthy discussions about anything anymore as we're afraid of offending someone or a culture. I would say that I have to agree with this, I was just saying to someone yesterday that the changes on EW were similar to changes in Dubai.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 22 July 2013 - 10:38
It does seem to be less western/British focused than a few years ago but that may be reflective of the general demographic changes in Dubai. My friends in the Ranches and Emirates Living have commented their neighborhoods are much more diverse now than they were back in 2008/2009. What has been the biggest change in the tone of the forum topics? I'd say that there are more incidents where someone evokes Islamic traditions/Sharia laws in a thread (usually by a convert) and many of us don't rebut or say anything in fear of being seen as criticising an obviously very important religion and culture for the region. Perhaps that's why the forum seems a bit dull these days as we don't seem to have any healthy discussions about anything anymore as we're afraid of offending someone or a culture. With regards to the religion mentions, I am sure you have seen quite a few threads started by non Muslims with questions about the religion. And of course I will respond to that. I do not expect anyone to agree with what I say, as that's not what it's about. It's about giving that person the information they ask for. And yes, women from different walks of life are part of this forum, I joined 15 years ago and at that time found it very "British" as so to generalize. That has already changed in that short period of time.
Latest post on 22 July 2013 - 10:32
It's not all bad though, I recently posted a problem about mail to Dubai and got a really helpful answer from a fellow user after only a few minutes. No-one ridiculed me and it was just an exchange of information and advice. I guess the trick is to just not engage in silliness and laugh at it.
Latest post on 22 July 2013 - 10:29
It does seem to be less western/British focused than a few years ago but that may be reflective of the general demographic changes in Dubai. My friends in the Ranches and Emirates Living have commented their neighborhoods are much more diverse now than they were back in 2008/2009. What has been the biggest change in the tone of the forum topics? I'd say that there are more incidents where someone evokes Islamic traditions/Sharia laws in a thread (usually by a convert) and many of us don't rebut or say anything in fear of being seen as criticising an obviously very important religion and culture for the region. Perhaps that's why the forum seems a bit dull these days as we don't seem to have any healthy discussions about anything anymore as we're afraid of offending someone or a culture.
Latest post on 22 July 2013 - 10:24
I think 1 we need to do, especially with so many different backgrounds, is respect that everyone has their own views. We don't need to agree but let's just agree to disagree then. We can discuss, share our views, but let's not ridicule each other. Love this Marroosh!
Latest post on 22 July 2013 - 10:18
I've been on this forum for 4 years but had to keep changing my username because they stop working and won't let me sign in, its actually annoying. If this one does the same i don't think i'll come back
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 22 July 2013 - 10:14
The rapid turnover of usernames leaves me confused at times. I find it hard to recognize oldies and frequently get confused with who is who and this leaves me feeling cautious. I thought I was the only one who didn't know who's who. Same here. There used to be a "whatever happened to..." thread every now and then. They shed some light on the reincarnations. Haven't seen one in a while though. Or if members just acted normal nobody would get banned. I'm sure it takes a lot to get there.
Latest post on 22 July 2013 - 10:10
The rapid turnover of usernames leaves me confused at times. I find it hard to recognize oldies and frequently get confused with who is who and this leaves me feeling cautious. I thought I was the only one who didn't know who's who. Same here. There used to be a "whatever happened to..." thread every now and then. They shed some light on the reincarnations. Haven't seen one in a while though.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 22 July 2013 - 09:02
I think 1 we need to do, especially with so many different backgrounds, is respect that everyone has their own views. We don't need to agree but let's just agree to disagree then. We can discuss, share our views, but let's not ridicule each other.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 22 July 2013 - 08:59
The rapid turnover of usernames leaves me confused at times. I find it hard to recognize oldies and frequently get confused with who is who and this leaves me feeling cautious. I thought I was the only one who didn't know who's who.
Latest post on 22 July 2013 - 08:46
Thanks for the comments and the feedback and the moderators do try very hard to keep this forum on track... For more information about some of the queries if you read the rules of the forum it is all explained there... Especially why some news stories get deleted. There are particular sensitivies to the region that have to be taken into account. http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_faqs_forum_rules_8392.aspx There are thousands of members who use this forum from all different nationalities and many hundreds of thousands more who read things on here every month from every country in the world so it always going to be a mixed bag of themes and opinions, as it always has been over the last 12 years. If there is ever an issue you can always email [email protected] and we really appreciate all the advice and support that has been given to thousands of women over the years as do those women. Warm regards, EW Admin
Latest post on 22 July 2013 - 08:35
Actually I think the forum is relatively tame these days, I recall no so long ago when there were some really vicious flamings and one very new member was driven off in tears never to return after a string of personal insults against her nationality and culture for expressing a dislike of the Wiggles! I am glad to see that this sort of nasty personal comment is very quickly stamped upon by the mods. And I do agree, that sort of thing is totally beyond of the spirit of the forum. <em>edited by Di@DXB on 22/07/2013</em>
Latest post on 22 July 2013 - 08:35
The rapid turnover of usernames leaves me confused at times. I find it hard to recognize oldies and frequently get confused with who is who and this leaves me feeling cautious.
Latest post on 22 July 2013 - 08:30
I think we would all like to discuss that case, but we are not allowed to on here, so you just have to accept that. Non-controversial topics are allowed.
Latest post on 22 July 2013 - 08:04
I was referring to a few things. My main emphasis are on solidarity and sisterhood compassion. I'm sad that we aren't allowed to sympathize with Marte. Surely we can discuss it i a civilized manner? But no- fasting, iftars, recipes, clothing, nip&tuck and whatever crisis a member is having (and being ripped apart on here) are the favored subjects.
Latest post on 21 July 2013 - 23:40
It is not just you. I have been following and reading this forum on a regular basis. I followed up your previous threat. Unfortunately I notice that the EW members –(and always the same ones- same people but different names) have nothing to do but attacking. It is easy for them to be behind a screen and aggressing whoever does not share their opinion. In the beginning It was very frustrating but I find it now very amusing. I was not wrong when once I said that it sounds like a soap opera. I totally agree with you. Some say just anything without considering. And then there are also some spammers who would post anything, and when someone will post something which is actually happening with them, then it would be considered a spam also, which happened with me last time. But anyways now I have learned not to post any personal problems here. :) Perhaps they're still "stuck" in their life? You should not have to worry about them :) You shall not treat the people with arrogance, and walk not on earth haughtily; for God does not love anyone who acts proudly and boastfully. (A verse from the Quran) "Generally, you can be humble only if you feel really good about yourself—and you want to help those around you feel really good about themselves, too. When we see people acting in an abusive, arrogant, or demeaning manner toward others, their behavior almost always is a symptom of their lack of self-esteem. They need to put someone else down to feel good about themselves." Clayton Christensen. :) Thumbs up to this :)
Latest post on 21 July 2013 - 23:32
It is not just you. I have been following and reading this forum on a regular basis. I followed up your previous threat. Unfortunately I notice that the EW members –(and always the same ones- same people but different names) have nothing to do but attacking. It is easy for them to be behind a screen and aggressing whoever does not share their opinion. In the beginning It was very frustrating but I find it now very amusing. I was not wrong when once I said that it sounds like a soap opera. I totally agree with you. Some say just anything without considering. And then there are also some spammers who would post anything, and when someone will post something which is actually happening with them, then it would be considered a spam also, which happened with me last time. But anyways now I have learned not to post any personal problems here. :)
Latest post on 21 July 2013 - 23:23
I had not heard of him. well you wouldn't have - Not the Nine O'Clock News was a comedy programme in the UK in the late 70's early 80's then he had a long comedy partnership with Griff Rhys-Jones, again in the UK - the rest of his work was mainly directing...
Latest post on 21 July 2013 - 23:19
I had not heard of him.
Latest post on 21 July 2013 - 23:16
We are probably all expat women, but perhaps from a much wider range of countries and cultures than used the forum before? I did not get the Mel Smith thread, yesterday I think :) But, a wider range of culture is good, no? If you aren't British you may not have heard of him - he was a much loved popular comedian/actor in the UK.. An Expatriate is a person living in a country other than the one they were born in with the intention of returning home, whereas an Emigrant is a person who has chosen to make a country other than their own their permanent home...that's how I've always viewed it anyway... So even though we're all expats we are indeed from a huge variety of countries and are living here for a varied period of time....
Latest post on 21 July 2013 - 23:12
Are foreigners married to locals still considered expats? Mhmm I don't know. I know that 'here at home' I'm not considered an expat and I don't consider myself an expat, but there is nothing about me to look at that would give my background away. I look like all the other British middle aged women who are out and about. Am I local? No because there isn't a drop of local blood in me. However this is where my heart is, its where I'm meant to be, and if I said to people I wasn't local because I wasn't born here they would say that's not true, you are one of us. I do feel like a local but its very much from the heart and not from outward appearances or travel documents, and that's the beauty of the locals I love so much, they accepted me for who I am and there is never a day goes by that I'm not happy to be here amongst them. Am Ian expat in my DXb life - yes because I still don't know where I am most of the time despite the role DXB plays in our life. I really just cant do DXB. I'm like a fish out of water and I frequently get lost or have meltdowns when out because it exhausts me so much. And lets face it my husband is a foreigner in DXB also and not really much good for anything. :D <em>edited by DesertRose1958 on 21/07/2013</em>
Latest post on 21 July 2013 - 23:07
We are probably all expat women, but perhaps from a much wider range of countries and cultures than used the forum before? I did not get the Mel Smith thread, yesterday I think :) But, a wider range of culture is good, no?
Latest post on 21 July 2013 - 22:47
The word expatriate applies to anyone living here as a foreigner, which applies to the majority of the population. The board is a big mix of women and probably some men from many different cultures, backgrounds, and religions. Although men are not supposed to sign up ;)
Latest post on 21 July 2013 - 22:38
Are foreigners married to locals still considered expats? Yes.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY