Those orange hornets... | ExpatWoman.com

Those orange hornets...

Latest post on 01 August 2013 - 15:15
Thanks... They are definitely hornets, I've had the misfortune of being stung by one when it went up my jumper while I was on the back of a motorbike, that's another story :-P - a very nasty sting indeed. I'll just need to monitor and see if any more appear or if it is just the season. Thanks!
Latest post on 01 August 2013 - 10:49
They are called Paper wasps I think, 3 doesn't mean a nest. We have a few that visit regularly as we have flowers in our garden. I think you would see their nest as we have an old one in our garage and it looks like a lump of plaster on the ceiling with holes in it!!! It was sprayed by pest control before we moved in and we haven't had to treat it again. The only way to stop wasps is to get rid of flowers, otherwise you'll have to do what we do and scream and run in the house (can't stand wasps lol!!). Hornets do not make those "plaster" nests, those are made by paper wasps which are harmless. Hornets nests are large papery structures and most usually found in dead tree trunks. The orange hornets are just that, orange hornets and they are not definitely NOT harmless. They have a very nasty sting indeed. However three do not mean a nest is nearby, they are very common in the Gulf at certain times of year and the best thing to do is to avoid them, go indoors if they are around. If you are unfortunate enough to find one in the house use an insecticide spray, do not attempt to swat it and do not pick up the body until you are quite quite sure it is an ex hornet. Consider them an unwelcome visitation, not an infestation, there is not a lot pest control can do unless you actually have a nest on your property. Just be aware and very very careful.
Latest post on 01 August 2013 - 08:41
They are called Paper wasps I think, 3 doesn't mean a nest. We have a few that visit regularly as we have flowers in our garden. I think you would see their nest as we have an old one in our garage and it looks like a lump of plaster on the ceiling with holes in it!!! It was sprayed by pest control before we moved in and we haven't had to treat it again. The only way to stop wasps is to get rid of flowers, otherwise you'll have to do what we do and scream and run in the house (can't stand wasps lol!!).
Latest post on 01 August 2013 - 06:50
..you know the ones. is it just the time of year for them to be flying around (like wasps in the uk in aug/sep), or would 3 of them in the garden mean a nest?! Also not too keen on having pest control out to do whatever they do to hornet nests - how would you locate one and then how would you deal with it humanely? Thanks :)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY