Twins and Multiples Mommies | ExpatWoman.com

Twins and Multiples Mommies

Latest post on 06 August 2013 - 11:58

Hi... I have seen a lot of twin and multiple expecting and already in the mommy stage ladies in the forum, but spread over various posts... I thought if we could start a thread for it, it would be easier to share the advice and queries.

I am expecting my twins and is now 31 weeks... I have registered myself at Latifa hospital...

Would love to hear from others

Latest post on 17 February 2014 - 13:27
Hi there, I am a mum of identical twin girls aged 20 months. I am desperately looking for some multiples/ twins mum and baby groups in Dubai. Does anyone know of any? Thanks a mil in advance. Alison
Latest post on 04 November 2013 - 16:21
Hi Ginnee, great to hear from you! It does give me hope when twin mums say that it gets better! I agree on the routine, we try to let them eat/nap/play at the same time, we also do activities all together and 1 on 1 as I believe it's good to give each some undivided attention... was one of your twins the more dominant one over the other? One of my boys speaks constantly and takes over the attention from his brother, I', sure this is not helping his brother's speech delay.. care sharing what your experience was/is like? Did both speak at the same age? xx
Latest post on 04 November 2013 - 09:22
Hi, I'm a twin mum, mine are 5 yrs old now. I did struggle for the first year as I was basically on my own and hubby is not hands on at all. It gets easier as they get older. Having a strict routine is vital in my belief, as if you can get them in sync with each other, it means more opportunities for rest for you.
Latest post on 01 November 2013 - 19:47
You are very welcome. Have a good weekend.
Latest post on 01 November 2013 - 19:33
Thanks for your reply Solo x great to hear your twins' stories :)
Latest post on 01 November 2013 - 18:05
Hi me2013, No, our children didn't experience any speech delays. Our first set of twins would talk to each other at first in 'baby language' and seem to understand each other and even laugh at things they said to each other before picking up words and sentences together too. So progressed at the same pace. The younger set of twins also did the same though one of them, our daughter walked many months earlier than her twin brother.....she was only 8 months!!!!......and would toddle off as tiny as she was to bring her twin brother things after a 'chat' together. They both progressed together in speech though. His interaction with other children at nursery might draw out those awaited words given more time. Maybe his twin has taken on the role for both of them in being able to answer you and do things and he will in his own time follow suit, with it all in there but not yet being displayed. To this day our four all seem to know what the other will say and answer each others sentences. As parents we are used to hearing a story separately told to us four times over...... But let them each tell us. But they usually guess after they are the second or third to say that we already know. Hopefully things for him will progress soon, but please try not to worry. Children are all individuals even if they are twins.
Latest post on 31 October 2013 - 22:50
Solo our stories are very familiar except I "only" have 1 set of twins! I salute your hard work cos I know it's a lot of hard work indeed! My boys arrived also early @33+3w via emergency c section due to pre eclampsia they weighted 1.6 & 2 kg and spent 3 & 2 wks in nicu.. very very hard times for all of us but they are now 2yr 2mth and are doing well. Did any of ur twins experience speech delay? One of my boys is behind in speech, doesnt even say mama or no but babbles all day his own baby language, while the other is very talkative and mixes baby language with proper real words and understands better when we speak to him or ask him to do something than his brother. Did you go thru this as well? If so when and how did your little one start speaking? We started speech therapy for him and he goes to nursery all day where he interracts with other kids. I worry about him every day and would be great to hear from other twin moms that "everything will be ok" X Obviously allot will of changed since our two sets of twins were born at Al Wasl Hospital (Latifa Hospital) here in Dubai. But I still say I would of gone nowhere else even if it was today. Our care both times was excellent and our first set of twins spent time in Special Baby Care Until. As I had gone in to labour at 31 wks and but just managed to pass 32 wks being in labour two days....and receive my last injection to clear their lungs of fluids before they were born naturally but after 42 hrs of labour. My husband was with me the whole time and the British midwife in charge at the hospital looked after us all and no question of him not being there even that long ago. Being a mum to 1.7kg and 1.9 kg babies was all new to us and she was there throughout the following days to help with feeding and bathing and showing me then a 20 yr old how to look after them both on our own. The hospital wasn't used to hands on mothers and my husband and I were in on every detail. Sadly we never witnessed another mother the whole time in the unit with their babies as we were told by philipino nursing staff this was usual and we were nice to see but a surprise. Every possible test was done on them both the time they were there. They had excellent care as did we too. They came home at 12 and 17 days. Still very tiny but pleased they were home. Our second twins arrived by emergency c-section. A very different pregnancy altogether, and we were all home in 5 days. I needed a blood transfusion, which I refused and went for iron injections instead and had pregnancy diabetes too throughout and they wanted to keep me in too due to high blood pressure but I wanted to be home with our other children too and did so at my own choice. Having two two year olds and two new borns was obviously hard work and busy. I didnt drive at the time. We had no family or other home help and it has continued this way through them growing up. I wouldn't of let anyone have them anyway, and so we have managed very well ourselves growing up in Dubai and then our children being brought up here too too without the need of any help. You just manage your time differently to cook, wash and clean and iron when there is time it all comes together eventually. I became the queen of multitasking. Shopped with them at quite times of day and they all just went everywhere we did. To this day when I finish work I tend to be cooking for 6, but thinking two days ahead still what to make. Out two eldest were not good sleepers. Having been prem babies we were for the first few months advised to wake them to feed every 2hrs until they reached a certain weight. Unfortunately this pattern didn't break and they continued to wake themselves even when they were given the all clear to leave to sleep and wake naturally for feeds.They never slept through until they were 2. Then their brother and sister arrived! Looking back you do forget allot as you are in a busy whirlwind. New borns, potty training in pairs, sleepless nights, schools and everything. We didn't send them to nursery I couldn't of coped with that and when it came to it I hated my eldest going to school so much that when I was offered a job working school hours that my younger two children at home could also be with me there I took it to keep us just as busy as I had been with all four home. So two went to school then us to work. I wouldn't change a thing, with them having this year turned 21 and 18 we are such very proud parents and of them all so we must of coped ok to of got this far. Still sane too (I think.....?) edited by Solo on 14/08/2013
Latest post on 13 August 2013 - 18:00
Luckily mine still are all with me. Would break my heart if they weren't.
Latest post on 13 August 2013 - 17:33
so right about time flying...i keep telling myself that too and try to cherish the moments
Latest post on 13 August 2013 - 17:11
Thanks sharan67. But don't get me wrong, we all have those moments. I just think I have forgotten them over the busy years and just look where we have all come today. Time passes far too quickly. <em>edited by Solo on 13/08/2013</em>
Latest post on 13 August 2013 - 16:49
wow Solo, that's quite inspiring/amazing considering I feel I can't cope at times with two...DD3 years and DS 3 months...
Latest post on 13 August 2013 - 14:10
Obviously allot will of changed since our two sets of twins were born at Al Wasl Hospital (Latifa Hospital) here in Dubai. But I still say I would of gone nowhere else even if it was today. Our care both times was excellent and our first set of twins spent time in Special Baby Care Until. As I had gone in to labour at 31 wks and but just managed to pass 32 wks being in labour two days....and receive my last injection to clear their lungs of fluids before they were born naturally but after 42 hrs of labour. My husband was with me the whole time and the British midwife in charge at the hospital looked after us all and no question of him not being there even that long ago. Being a mum to 1.7kg and 1.9 kg babies was all new to us and she was there throughout the following days to help with feeding and bathing and showing me then a 20 yr old how to look after them both on our own. The hospital wasn't used to hands on mothers and my husband and I were in on every detail. Sadly we never witnessed another mother the whole time in the unit with their babies as we were told by philipino nursing staff this was usual and we were nice to see but a surprise. Every possible test was done on them both the time they were there. They had excellent care as did we too. They came home at 12 and 17 days. Still very tiny but pleased they were home. Our second twins arrived by emergency c-section. A very different pregnancy altogether, and we were all home in 5 days. I needed a blood transfusion, which I refused and went for iron injections instead and had pregnancy diabetes too throughout and they wanted to keep me in too due to high blood pressure but I wanted to be home with our other children too and did so at my own choice. Having two two year olds and two new borns was obviously hard work and busy. I didnt drive at the time. We had no family or other home help and it has continued this way through them growing up. I wouldn't of let anyone have them anyway, and so we have managed very well ourselves growing up in Dubai and then our children being brought up here too too without the need of any help. You just manage your time differently to cook, wash and clean and iron when there is time it all comes together eventually. I became the queen of multitasking. Shopped with them at quite times of day and they all just went everywhere we did. To this day when I finish work I tend to be cooking for 6, but thinking two days ahead still what to make. Out two eldest were not good sleepers. Having been prem babies we were for the first few months advised to wake them to feed every 2hrs until they reached a certain weight. Unfortunately this pattern didn't break and they continued to wake themselves even when they were given the all clear to leave to sleep and wake naturally for feeds.They never slept through until they were 2. Then their brother and sister arrived! Looking back you do forget allot as you are in a busy whirlwind. New borns, potty training in pairs, sleepless nights, schools and everything. We didn't send them to nursery I couldn't of coped with that and when it came to it I hated my eldest going to school so much that when I was offered a job working school hours that my younger two children at home could also be with me there I took it to keep us just as busy as I had been with all four home. So two went to school then us to work. I wouldn't change a thing, with them having this year turned 21 and 18 we are such very proud parents and of them all so we must of coped ok to of got this far. Still sane too (I think.....?) <em>edited by Solo on 14/08/2013</em>
Latest post on 13 August 2013 - 12:42
Hi Solo... Im sure your advices will be of a real help to all of us in the group. Hi Sakn.. Congratulations on your new born. How are the babies doing? Have you moved home now? Where was your delivery? Was that scheduled for 34 weeks? Are they identical babies? I hope the babies are having enough birth weight and are doing good. Please share your experience.
Latest post on 13 August 2013 - 07:08
Hi ,me too is a mom of two.I delivered at 34 weeks, week ago.i have to ask you so many things to help me takecare of the babies.please let me know how to handle such small baby n how long will it take for them to grow.Also any suggestions?
Latest post on 06 August 2013 - 13:31
Mother to identical twin boys 21yrs old and fraternal boy/girl twins 18 yrs old. All born at Al Wasl Hospital (now Latifa) at 32 was and 37 wks.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY