HELP!!!! Moving to Canada.... still confused which province | ExpatWoman.com

HELP!!!! Moving to Canada.... still confused which province

Latest post on 19 August 2013 - 15:39

Hello Ladies,

I am not a regular but do enjoy reading and gaining insight into some of the posts.....a thoughtful bunch of ladies....

Hoping maybe you ladies can help me as I am in a predicament.

After having lived in U.A.E. all my life, our family has to move to Canada first week of November 2013... I do not know if Toronto or Vancouver is the best place to move with young kids 4 and 5 years old.

Any suggestions are welcome.....pros or cons Toronto vs Vancouver....

Thank you,

Latest post on 20 August 2013 - 11:57
I'm a Canadian and have either lived in or visited every province of Canada. Given a choice between Toronto and Vancouver, I'd definitely choose Toronto. As noted previously, Vancouver can very depressing during the winter months, especially if your are accustomed to the daily sunshine in Dubai. I would suggest looking in the Toronto area. Living in downtown Toronto isn't where you want to be with small children (just as you probably don't live in downtown Dubai), but the suburbs are great! Lots of wonderful Multicultural neighbourhoods. Richmond Hill, Markhamand Newmarket are all fantastic areas - in fact, I would recommend anywhere in York Region. And I echo the sentiments of the previous poster regarding driving - you will be surprised at how polite the Canadians are! As far as the winter goes- yes it can be brutal, but so can a 45+ degrees day in Dubai! When the weather is bad, you stay inside! Canada is a beautiful country, and I'm sure you'll be very happy wherever you settle. Good luck with your move! Agree. I lived in both and loved loved loved Vancouver, but ended up back home in Toronto. I lived both downtown and in the suburbs (but westend) so Etobicoke, and Oakville. Very different feels. Pricey areas tend to have better school districts so keep that in mind when comparing costs.
Latest post on 20 August 2013 - 11:18
I'm a Canadian and have either lived in or visited every province of Canada. Given a choice between Toronto and Vancouver, I'd definitely choose Toronto. As noted previously, Vancouver can very depressing during the winter months, especially if your are accustomed to the daily sunshine in Dubai. I would suggest looking in the Toronto area. Living in downtown Toronto isn't where you want to be with small children (just as you probably don't live in downtown Dubai), but the suburbs are great! Lots of wonderful Multicultural neighbourhoods. Richmond Hill, Markhamand Newmarket are all fantastic areas - in fact, I would recommend anywhere in York Region. And I echo the sentiments of the previous poster regarding driving - you will be surprised at how polite the Canadians are! As far as the winter goes- yes it can be brutal, but so can a 45+ degrees day in Dubai! When the weather is bad, you stay inside! Canada is a beautiful country, and I'm sure you'll be very happy wherever you settle. Good luck with your move!
Latest post on 20 August 2013 - 07:51
I love these people who emigrate to Canada not knowing anything at all about the country, other than that it has a good passport.
Latest post on 20 August 2013 - 07:41
Vancouver rains from mid Nov to mid april..... a much larger chinese pop in Van if you are looking for mandarine. Where is your husband going to be working (or you) that you have Toronto or Van as a choice? are you wanting to become citizens or is one of you already Canadian.? There are other lovely places to live other than toronto or Vancouver..bless there is even country past Ontario ie, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland etc lol....the Maritimes... :)
Latest post on 20 August 2013 - 00:07
Qldgal sorry you are so unhappy in Calgary. Yes it has been a very difficult summer the worst flooding in history and the resultant mozzies have been a nightmare, but please don't judge the city after one summer. The wide open blue skies and those gorgeous mountains are just breathtaking. We tried Vancouver but the constant overcast skies and damp did a number on my moods, Alberta is a better fit for me. November is a terrible time of the year to arrive heading straight into winter.Yes the winters are severe but that is the nature of the area we live in, I really battle but have learned to embrace it,I have no option. Now comparing the Deerfoot to SZR to my mind is impossible. I loved living in DXB and miss it terribly BUT never miss the driving, You never get people flashing their lights at you,yes a bit of tailgating but if you move over to the right you can quite comfortably carry on your journey without having someone flash their lights at you in the slower lanes!! The accident you were quoting...was it the pile up on the QE 2 this last winter? If so that one was because of a blizzard on the road to Edmonton, surely not Calgary's fault.I can remember many a pile up in DXB when there was heavy mist. However if you do have an accident here the pink slip will be given to the real guilty party !!!! If you are so unhappy in Calgary you really should make a move,it is a very what you see is what you get kind of place and yes oil and gas minded, but has a charm all it's own. <em>edited by Nomad on 20/08/2013</em>
Latest post on 19 August 2013 - 23:16
Very wise decision :)
Latest post on 19 August 2013 - 23:04
thanks for the detailed insight qldgal. i did read some of what you have said on the Canadian forums so completely ruled out calgary. So far toronto is looking better. We will be on PR there.
Latest post on 19 August 2013 - 22:38
Angel Joy, having moved from Dubai to Calgary last November, I would like to enlighten you on some Calgary 'quirks', which may assist your location decision making. Firstly, they don't call Calgary 'cow town' for nothing, unless you live in the inner city (down town area) there is little to do and next to no culture. It's also extremely expensive, to the point that certain baby items are cheaper in Dubai. This is an oil and gas town, the cost of living here is high for that reason. A Toronto friend of mine said a loaf of bread costs twice as much here than Toronto. So unless your husband or you are in oil and gas, then your salary's will be much lower and hence it's far more difficult to live. If you both work then child care is almost impossible, all the registered well run professional child care centres are booked out years in advance. So from a budget perspective you would have to consider a full time nanny ( children attending school is not quite as bad ... I am told) and for that you need to look at 2k to 2.5k gross a month or one of these unlicensed/ unregulated day homes. Leasing a car is not simple, nor do they cater to expats like us, no Diamond Lease etc. Unless you have a residents visa, getting a car loan is almost impossible, so if you will be on a 2 year visa initially, keep this in mind. This may may apply to all of Canada.... Rents have gone up 40% in Calgary this year ( according to a real estate document I read on the weekend), every one here owns, rentals... Well quality rentals are hard to find, especially on a budget. In a nutshell it's expensive. Vancouver I am told is expensive re rent, but from what I understand you can 'live' cheaper. Most people enjoy their time in Vancouver. I have met 2 British ladies so far who have been here over 25 years (in Calgary) and they still hate it. Winters here are loooong...pretty much 9 months. Though at least it's sunny in winter. Summer has been a complete bomb here, with flooding and swarms of insects in biblical proportions. Though I am reliably informed this is not the norm... Just bad luck on our part. If you ski, then great, Canmore and Banff are just up the road...as long as the road doesn't get washed away again! Oh and don't expect the driving to be any better... The Deerfoot trail ( otherwise known as the 'other SZR' in our house) is just like driving in Dubai. Cowboys in giant trucks, tailgating and bullying, road rage ... And this even happens in the snow. 20 car pile ups and multiple deaths are common ... Frankly it's safer to drive to Al Ain! It does have some perks, most people speak English, and if you have children the medical system is not bad and free... Though don't expect to get a family doctor with ease, the doctors office near my house hasn't take on patients in 8 years! Though they do have fairly good walk in clinics, so it's not the end of the world. Needless to say, come with your eyes wide open. Don't expect a better life immediately, it takes ages and people in Calgary aren't your typical 'friendly Canadians'. We thought we were doing the right thing, and frankly, the sooner I am in the departure lounge at Calgary airport heading for The Middle East the better.
Latest post on 19 August 2013 - 22:04
Do you have to do Toronto or Vancouver? Personally i love love Ottawa! Do consider that some parts of Canada require French and having French will be a bonus in certain areas.
Latest post on 19 August 2013 - 21:48
hey floycd we are also planning to shift to Canada. I am also searching between Toronto vs Calgary vs Vancouver. I have found few good websites. mainly you have to think where your job is better? for us we have now ruled out Calgary as the weather is not favorable and also our job scenario. So far i am finding toronto better but once we go there and see we will not be able to decide much. check out this link it has useful info's- http://www.livingin-canada.com/best-places-to-live-in-toronto.html you can compare different cities.
Latest post on 19 August 2013 - 17:42
Thankyou Simpleasabc and Madamerose. Madamerose. We are looking to have the same 'sort of' lifestyle that we currently have in Dubai, that is able to access good schools for French and Mandarin. Able to hire a nanny part time probably. I am currently employed full time and therefore have decided to be a full time mom when we move.. at least for a year and then decide accordingly. I have visited both Toronto and Vancouver and as a visitor Vancouver has captured my heart, however the cost of living is high compared to Toronto as what I have heard... but only the people who live or have lived there will be able to give the right feedback. It would be nice to network and in the process make new friends in a relatively new and foreign country....
Latest post on 19 August 2013 - 16:31
I've never been to Toronto, but a friend of mine lived there years ago and hated it, describing it as "plastic city". (She now deals in French antiques and alternates living on a restored narrow-boat at Regent's Canal with living in a cottage in the Cotswolds - just so you get an idea of her values!) My brother lives in West Vancouver with his family, having emigrated there from a "nice" London suburb about 10 years ago, for a better life for them all - and there's no way they'll be returning to England to live. I've only visited once, but really enjoyed the city, particularly Granville Island. My brother went to Vancouver because it's a good place to bring up children, his two were 3 and 6 when they left and they are all very happy there. Outdoor life and sports great. Good luck with your decision and move!
Latest post on 19 August 2013 - 16:14
Hi, Maybe if you can tell us a little more about what kind of lifestyle you want to have then the advice can be more focused. I think both places are very nice but quite different too. For example, Vancouver is typically warmer during the winters but is often rainy... Toronto is colder in the winter but more sun and still easy access to the outdoors. Both places are very multicultural, Vancouver feels more fresh and exciting, Toronto has much more of a "stable" feeling to it. I've lived in both places before and although I enjoyed both, I would say I enjoyed Vancouver more. People get out more and the lifestyle is more active and enthusiastic. Both places are easy for young children... Hope that helps you somewhat :)