My 5 year old keeps waking up at night saying "im scared" at wits end now!! | ExpatWoman.com

My 5 year old keeps waking up at night saying "im scared" at wits end now!!

Latest post on 28 August 2013 - 13:44

It's been happening for the last 2 weeks and progressively getting worse. Up until 2 mights ago, she was waking up at least 5 times, I'd go settle her and calm her only to be woken up again. I tried leaving the light on for her, which worked at the beginning of the night, but she still woke up several times saying "im scared". This is despite sharing a Queen bed with her twin sister. For the last 2 nights I've been just taking her directly to my bed (after the first instance of her waking up saying "i'm scared". But this is wearing thin as our bed is not big enough for 2 adults and a child who's always moving and inadvertantly touching me. I'm suffering from insomnia badly enough as it is, this is all I need!!! I have no idea what to do. Any experiences from you ladies?

Latest post on 31 August 2013 - 10:38
Ginnee, I still remember it as if it was yesterday, I was around 5 years old and my mother told me the story of red riding hood and the mean wolf with big ears and big teeth. I am 39 now and still not feel comfortable leaving my feet dangling of the bed. Spent my whole childhood thinking a big bad wolf was hidden under my bed.
Latest post on 31 August 2013 - 09:21
Thanks all for the input. I will make sure the cartoons etc are carefully monitored. She's a lot better now I'm in the room with her. Licorice, what is this light you got? It sounds lovely. Where did you get it from?
Latest post on 30 August 2013 - 00:00
I don't have this playlist TVcontrol but sounds great,now that it is school time ,they won't have that much time to watch TV with the nappy time , millions of homework,dinner and then hop to bed heheheheh school time is not that bad!
Latest post on 29 August 2013 - 23:28
Disney is much worse than jim jam for example. Its a bit of a pandoras box, once the idea of evil is introduced its hard to undo, TV is one thing you can easily control, the imagery is so strong, even the music can be scary. I never thought much of the influence of TV until watching my son watching it and realising how much it effects him, even though he wants to watch it. We have apple TV now and I've just made up playlists, so you can have complete control if you want to. And yes obviously limit TV, and try and do a bit of role play to try and subtly figure out if anything in particular is scaring or confusing your child. <em>edited by kiwispiers on 29/08/2013</em>
Latest post on 29 August 2013 - 23:23
ahh I see TV was already mentioned, I totally agree though, the fascination with good and evil, and "scary". Stick to Angelina Ballerina and Peppa ***! Also check her room is not too hot. I agree with you Kiwispiers,but not only Disney channel is displaying this kind of evil characters .they are everywhere,in every cartoon.what to do?You can't control all channels but you can handle you child ,talk and explain and most importantly,limit their TV time and do other fun activities so they can clear up their heads from these cartoons.
Latest post on 29 August 2013 - 23:03
ahh I see TV was already mentioned, I totally agree though, the fascination with good and evil, and "scary". Stick to Angelina Ballerina and Peppa ***! Also check her room is not too hot.
Latest post on 29 August 2013 - 23:01
Stop letting her watch the disney channel (assuming you currently do). My 3 year old was waking scared, I watched a little disney junior with him and that stuff is what nightmares are made of, even little einsteins is full of evil characters (not to mention some horrific role modelling for girls in particular). Disney channel is off limits now and things are much better.
Latest post on 29 August 2013 - 23:01
As for my two children ,they love watching scary cartoons and believe me some can be really frightening! than in the middle of the night...Mummy i had a nightmare...So,at first i forbid them to watch this kind of cartoons but you can not supervise them every minute! So i got them these flower and ladybird shaped lights so they can leave them on all night plus,i stayed watching these cartoons and laughing about the monsters and baddies and reassuring them that they are just drawings and don't exist!
Latest post on 29 August 2013 - 20:31
I'm not a mum but my nephew was doing this he's 4.... So me being a nice auntie bought him a Phillips living colour light that has hundreds of colours and lights up a wall... And voila he's been ok ever since apparently... So a simple night light or something like this might help.... You never know :)
Latest post on 29 August 2013 - 19:12
Ginee my 5 year old son has been doing this for about 6 months. Not sure what girls are like at 5, but my son is really into super heros and LOVES watching things on TV with villans and badies etc.... I really monitor his TV but admit that I let him watch a few movies here and there and most of them are a bit scary. Even things like Scooby doo can scare the wits out of them. As much as he loves being scared by things on TV, I think that this can have an impact at night time when it is pitch black. At age 5 they seem to develop more awareness of things and their minds are like wildfire, as are their imaginations. I think it is probably pretty age appropriate and like most things, is just a phase. Not good about the insomnia, you have to look at the sleeping arrangements but I personally think if kids are scared, they need to be comforted. You can't loose sleep over it though so need to look at how it can work. Good luck!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY