visa run risky? | ExpatWoman.com

visa run risky?

Latest post on 09 September 2013 - 15:45

Hi girls,

My residence visa has been cancelled on the 14 th of august. I have to do the visa run to Oman, however I have heard from the consulate that it' s illegal to do visa runs. I am very worried about this since I was planning to do many visa runs. Could you please tell me what's so risky about it as there are many people doing it.

I have another question: How can I get a residence visa beside having a job off-course. What are my options? Can I get a visa if I buy an apartment ?

Hope to hear from you soon as am little but of worried about all of this.

regards
sara

Latest post on 09 September 2013 - 23:15
Hi girls, My residence visa has been cancelled on the 14 th of august. I have to do the visa run to Oman, however I have heard from the consulate that it' s illegal to do visa runs. I am very worried about this since I was planning to do many visa runs. Could you please tell me what's so risky about it as there are many people doing it. I have another question: How can I get a residence visa beside having a job off-course. What are my options? Can I get a visa if I buy an apartment ? Hope to hear from you soon as am little but of worried about all of this. regards sara Another option you have to get a visa is to start your own business (get a business license). With Ajman Freezone license, you don't need a local sponsor, you can have 100% ownership of the company, and you don't need a lot of money. I think you can get everything done in around 30,000 AED - no need to rent a separate office as it's included in the package. If you want to get a Dubai mainland license, then you need a local sponsor who's name is included in the license as agent and not partner. Of course you'll need to sign documents and notarize them at Dubai court outlining that the local sponsor is just a sponsor and not a partner and s/he has no rights to the business. License + Visa will cost you around 50,000 AED (including 10,000 AED investor visa deposit and 6000 AED for virtual office). You can get more information from http://www.flyingcolour.com which is a business setup firm. They do all the work, including arranging local agents and their fee is 3000 AED. License will have to be renewed every year while the visa is valid for three years. You can go for a trading license or a professional license. For some licenses you'll need a master's degree while for others just a high school diploma is enough. <em>edited by kayra on 09/09/2013</em>
Latest post on 09 September 2013 - 21:49
No, that should be fine, your HR dept has done it for you (our company folded so i had to do the legwork myself). But take the cancellation paperwork with you when you do your visa run. They asked to see it when i exited from the UAE side the first time. No problems after that for me. K
Latest post on 09 September 2013 - 21:43
Just for clarity, your visa was cancelled not simply expired? I ask because my residence visa expired earlier this year and i assumed it would automatically be cancelled and hence i could start doing visa runs. At the time my husband was changing jobs so i was waiting for his new reidence visa before he could sponsor me ... Another story. Thank goodness i called immigration just to check. It turns out cancelling the visa is not automatic when the residence expires. You have to go to immigration to actively cancel it. They advise how many days you have to leave the country at that point, then you can start visa runs. Apparently if i'd tried to do a visa run on an expired visa i wouldn't have been let back in!!! That would have been a nightmare as i planned to pop to Hatta border while the kids were in school and be back in time to collect them!!! After that i ended up doing visa runs for about 3 months with no issue. K Thanks for sharing your story. My residence visa has been cancelled on the HR department of the company. They placed a cancellation stamp in my passport. They also gave me a residency cancellation document that says that my visa is cancelled on the 14th of august. Is that not enough? Do I still have to call the immigration about it ??
Latest post on 09 September 2013 - 21:40
Thanks a lot for all the girls who answered my question. I feel much more relaxed now. So as I understand, I can do many visa runs without any concern later. What about applying for a new passport (if expired) at the Dutch consulate; will they make any issue if they see that I made many visa runs to Oman ( am a bit scared now for that consulate) .... I have been also to the consulate several times. I have renewed my passport there and you have the right to a new passport as a Dutch citizen and no consulate can take that right away even if you had a 100 Oman visits in your passport. You could very well be one of many people who visit Oman on a regular basis. It's not their business to check your visas, it's their business to renew the passport you are entitled to. They're not giving it for free. thanks a lot, this really helps. I must say that the consulate employee wasn't that nice; she kept saying that I had to " follow the rules" without even asking me questions about my situation..anyway. thanks.
Latest post on 09 September 2013 - 21:23
Just for clarity, your visa was cancelled not simply expired? I ask because my residence visa expired earlier this year and i assumed it would automatically be cancelled and hence i could start doing visa runs. At the time my husband was changing jobs so i was waiting for his new reidence visa before he could sponsor me ... Another story. Thank goodness i called immigration just to check. It turns out cancelling the visa is not automatic when the residence expires. You have to go to immigration to actively cancel it. They advise how many days you have to leave the country at that point, then you can start visa runs. Apparently if i'd tried to do a visa run on an expired visa i wouldn't have been let back in!!! That would have been a nightmare as i planned to pop to Hatta border while the kids were in school and be back in time to collect them!!! After that i ended up doing visa runs for about 3 months with no issue. K
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 09 September 2013 - 20:27
Thanks a lot for all the girls who answered my question. I feel much more relaxed now. So as I understand, I can do many visa runs without any concern later. What about applying for a new passport (if expired) at the Dutch consulate; will they make any issue if they see that I made many visa runs to Oman ( am a bit scared now for that consulate) .... I have been also to the consulate several times. I have renewed my passport there and you have the right to a new passport as a Dutch citizen and no consulate can take that right away even if you had a 100 Oman visits in your passport. You could very well be one of many people who visit Oman on a regular basis. It's not their business to check your visas, it's their business to renew the passport you are entitled to. They're not giving it for free.
Latest post on 09 September 2013 - 20:25
Thanks a lot for all the girls who answered my question. I feel much more relaxed now. So as I understand, I can do many visa runs without any concern later. What about applying for a new passport (if expired) at the Dutch consulate; will they make any issue if they see that I made many visa runs to Oman ( am a bit scared now for that consulate) ....
Latest post on 09 September 2013 - 17:57
There was recently even a BUS going at least weekly to Hatta border for people who wanted to do a Visa Run - leaving from Marina Mall. Does it still go? Is the consulate employee new - do they know what they are talking about?!
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 09 September 2013 - 17:29
I am Dutch with Dutch passport and have done several visa runs without problems. Nobody at either border checks how often you have exited and entered.
Latest post on 09 September 2013 - 17:09
We've got the info here on how to do it... http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_faqs_hatta_oman_visa_run_10396.aspx HTH
Latest post on 09 September 2013 - 16:55
I guess there's the *potential* risk that they could change the visa rules without you knowing it and you'd be suck out of the country with all your possessions in country. But, that seems a remote possibility. Obviously, your best bet is to get your residency visa ASAP, but until you can do so, do your visa run, girl!
Latest post on 09 September 2013 - 16:39
. I just want to know what the risk are exactly ? And how many times can I do the visa run ? thanks check out this site, they have up to date info on visa runs :) [url=http://www.maxlyth.com/?p=134'>link[/url'>
Latest post on 09 September 2013 - 16:35
I did it for a year, have a friend who's been doing it for about 5! I think it depends on your passport but I've seen lots of nationalities doing it. With a dutch passport I don't see a problem As far as I can tell there are the following routes to visa'- sponsor by employer - open a business and sponsor yourself - freelance visa from media city or FCZ (difficult, specific and expensive) - sponsor by family member Thanks for your reply. Sarah: I have the Dutch passport. I called the Dutch consulate today and she said that it's against the law to do visa runs to Oman. I email expat woman about it and she said that it's risky and that the girls on this forum can inform me more about it. I just want to know what the risk are exactly ? And how many times can I do the visa run ? thanks In my experience they care less at the Omani border than they do at the airport. Never had a single question asked doing a visa run to Oman even when I was in and out the country for nearly 2 years. <em>edited by celticcavegirl on 09/09/2013</em>
Latest post on 09 September 2013 - 16:35
Thanks for your reply. Sarah: I have the Dutch passport. I called the Dutch consulate today and she said that it's against the law to do visa runs to Oman. I email expat woman about it and she said that it's risky and that the girls on this forum can inform me more about it. I just want to know what the risk are exactly ? And how many times can I do the visa run ? thanks
Latest post on 09 September 2013 - 16:31
Hi girls, My residence visa has been cancelled on the 14 th of august. I have to do the visa run to Oman, however I have heard from the consulate that it' s illegal to do visa runs. I am very worried about this since I was planning to do many visa runs. Could you please tell me what's so risky about it as there are many people doing it. I have another question: How can I get a residence visa beside having a job off-course. What are my options? Can I get a visa if I buy an apartment ? Hope to hear from you soon as am little but of worried about all of this. regards sara Is this a new rule?? which consulate is this? I did it for 6 months a couple of years back. I don't think they have passed the actually law that says that visa comes with property, although it has been in the pipeline for a few years now. An alternative would be to look to get a business licence. ETA. Found this [url=http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/dubai-starts-to-issue-2-year-visa-to-real-estate-investors-2012-09-17-1.475751'>link[/url'> <em>edited by Alismum on 09/09/2013</em>
Latest post on 09 September 2013 - 16:10
It's another one of those "it's against the law but loads of people do it".....Basically, it's your own choice whether you take the risk or not. If you want to stay here longer than the time the Government allows you on a visit you can get an extension or you need a residency visa. Generally you will need to get a job and your employer will sponsor you and get you your visa. (unless you have a husband who can sponsor you).
Latest post on 09 September 2013 - 16:02
Hi girls, My residence visa has been cancelled on the 14 th of august. I have to do the visa run to Oman, however I have heard from the consulate that it' s illegal to do visa runs. I am very worried about this since I was planning to do many visa runs. Could you please tell me what's so risky about it as there are many people doing it. I have another question: How can I get a residence visa beside having a job off-course. What are my options? Can I get a visa if I buy an apartment ? Hope to hear from you soon as am little but of worried about all of this. regards sara What passport do you have? Lots of my friends do visa runs with no problems at all ( They are from the UK) I wouldn't expect a visa if you buy an apartment either. That can be a very grey area

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY