Need to rant about Driving licence run around | ExpatWoman.com

Need to rant about Driving licence run around

Latest post on 15 September 2013 - 10:51

As if this couldn't get anymore challenging and frustrating. Went to the traffic dept at Madinat Khalifa this morning to get a driving licence. I have a full UK one so don't need a driving test. Got there only to be told they don't do the eye test there anymore, you have to go to an optician, and no, they didn't know where the nearest one was. They checked over the paperwork we had, seemed happy with the copies and photos etc, except they need a photo copy of the back and front of my UK licence (nowhere on the form or internet does it say this but hey ho, we're in Doha). Despite access to the net, Google failed miserably to find a nearby optician, but we found an optician on the way back to DH's office, but of course that time in the morning it was shut. So, killed some time having coffee at the office and ventured out again.

Arrived at opticians, and yes they do the driving licence eye test. "Mam, where's your photos?" Showed her the ones the traffic dept had seen [i]and[/i] stapled to the application form (which has to be in Arabic btw), only for her say they are wrong, and the photo's must show me wearing my glasses, as she has to tick a box on the form saying 'wears glasses'. And no, she couldn't tell me where the nearest photo shop was!! Mission abandoned until steam has stopped pouring out of DH's ears!

[b]Why does no-one ever tell you this stuff[/b]?? I just want to go home :(

Latest post on 22 September 2013 - 10:08
Thanks VeryCherry- you are a star- we have added that link to the page too- we might try and simplify the way it's all written too to make it clearer... really appreciate your help as things do change and we want to make sure we are giving the right advice :)
Latest post on 22 September 2013 - 09:46
Tahmina your company's PRO will organise your family's RP. Verycherry - congrats!!
Latest post on 22 September 2013 - 09:25
Thanks Admin - it all looks terribly complicated doesn't it? :) I don't think you need to present at the traffic dept before and after your eye test. You can also download a driving licence app form from here: http://www.moi.gov.qa/site/arabic/departments/TrafficPolice/resources/2008/08/04_9524.pdf Hope this makes sense? Thanks
Latest post on 22 September 2013 - 09:13
Dear All! Thanks for the update- we've updated the page with all your latest information to try and help others :) http://www.expatwoman.com/qatar/monthly_qatar_guide_Drivers_License_6185.aspx Hope that's ok! Warm regards, EW Admin
Latest post on 22 September 2013 - 08:58
Success!!! I got my driving licence today. Admin could you update your FAQs & answers to reflect the following? If you hold a UK driving licence - get the driving licence application form and have this completed in Arabic. Get two passport photos with blue background. [b'>If you wear glasses to drive, make sure your photos show you wearing glasses[/b'>. Go get a driving licence eye test, 30Qr from most opticians. They will need to stamp your form and photos, so take them with you. Have photocopies of both sides of your UK driving licence (both card and paper part just in case), both sides of your RP and DH's RP. If going alone you may need a no objection letter from sponsor (either DH or employer). Go to Traffic Dept (we got there at 6.45am and it was quite empty, no need to queue). Handover all paperwork, forms, photos and original UK driving licence, pay 250Qr by card and you should get your licence. Mine is valid for 5 years. I really hope that this information will help some of you avoid the frustrating run around we had to cope with. The only 'outside' help we had, was DH's colleague completing the app form in Arabic for us. We did the rest ourselves. Good luck and safe driving out there. :)
Latest post on 17 September 2013 - 13:32
Thanks for your replies ladies - it's good to know that I'm not over reacting and that others face similar problems. BEDH - your reply made me laugh. So far the only person to express an interest in me here, was an Arab man in the fabric souq who wanted to know the colour of my hair. Apparently he wanted his very large, bushy but greying beard to be the same colour :) DebK - sadly the only people DH works with got their licenses well over 12mths ago, and neither wear glasses. So that was a new one to them too. Pootle - DH came with me, so the no objection letter thing didn't come up. So far - I have been to 4 more opticians in City Centre Mall. Two didn't provide the test. The other two confirmed that yes, I need photos with glasses on. Thankfully the little photo place next to Carrefour knew exactly what I was talking about; so 30Qr later I now have ten photos of me wearing glasses. Next step to get the eye test done. I have very poor eyesight (ok to drive in UK, but you never know), so will blow a gasket if I fail the test after all the hoop jumping. Will keep you informed ladies :)
Latest post on 16 September 2013 - 21:15
When I went to do my license I used one of the fixers in the shops opposite . my wallet was empty and the cash machine at the Traffic dept was broken. They waived the charge but I obliged by posing for various phone camera pictures with the guy who helped me. I was orca whale sized, at about 39 weeks pregnant so do wonder what he said to the friends he showed !
Latest post on 16 September 2013 - 19:44
DebK and Tamieg1 - DH's company are utterly useless. He doesn't even have a co-worker who might have some hints on how to find someone to help negotiate the system? We've been here 4 years now so the name and number of the guy we used is long forgotten otherwise I would have passed it on to you. I might ask one of my co-workers though if she knows of someone. I know that my work place used her brother to help us with the whole labour cards process. Perhaps he also does the drivers licence thing. No harm in me asking her ...
Latest post on 16 September 2013 - 19:28
Very cherry, EXACTLY the same thing happened to me, except I was told at the front desk I also needed a NOL from my husband on headed paper. When I arrived for the second time - having got the eye test shenanigans sorted - I didn't need the no objection letter after all, however, I did need a copy of his RP card, and a bank card, I couldn't pay cash. Good job DH was actually with me as I hadn't realised that. NOL got chucked in the bin and driving licence was printed out there and then. I actually cried I was so relieved! They really need to sort out their website...(LOL!)
Latest post on 15 September 2013 - 18:21
MaryCatherine - UK licences don't include stuff like that, and the licence photo rules are the same as our passport ones ie, no glasses, hats, hair over face etc. DebK and Tamieg1 - DH's company are utterly useless. We had to get my RP, his driving licence and my driving licence all by ourselves. We still haven't got our medical cards either, which we will have to do ourselves, despite it being in the contract that his is provided. They wont even provide the letter for an alcohol licence - we are fighting this one big time. Couldn't find any fixers at the traffic dept despite asking different people for help. We're just taking one day at a time.
Latest post on 15 September 2013 - 16:58
There used to be a bunch of "fixers" out the front who would do it for you (for a price) as well. Good luck!
Latest post on 15 September 2013 - 16:34
Is your husband's company not able to recommend someone that you could call to walk you through the process? When we got our license (several years ago now) we paid some guy 100 QAR. For that cost he picked us up at our apartment, drove us to the license place, took care of getting everything translated and quickly ushered us from place to place during the process. Then afterwards he drove us back home. It was probably the best 100 QAR we have ever spent. :)
Latest post on 15 September 2013 - 16:20
I don't know about UK licenses but my home country one has the class of vehicle I am licensed for and any restrictions (like glasses) noted. I am not saying this is intuitive that one [i'>should [/i'> know but were they unwilling to copy your UK license? If so it's a real bummer. Good luck on the second attempt:cool: <em>edited by marycatherine on 15/09/2013</em>
Latest post on 15 September 2013 - 15:54
thanks for your replies ladies. Jennifer - we weren't told about the eye test in the old place. I asked two different officers where the nearest eye test place was and they didn't know. They didn't mention the photo with glasses on either. Hopefully your experience will help others avoid some aspects of my runaround. Joos - very sound advice but sometimes easier said than done. Despite showing the photos to the optician receptionist and explaining the traffic dept had seen them and stapled them to the forms, they were adamant I needed new photos with glasses on. MaryCatherine - the answers page here is very helpful and informative. Not mentioned as required was a copy of both sides of UK driving licence, and copies of both sides of ID too. Not to mention a photo with glasses on if you wear them. But as Joos said, the requirements will change from day to day, person to person and probably whether its a full moon or not ! :-) I would so love to be challenged on something that is logical. I felt like taking a biro and drawing glasses on my photos in sheer frustration! I'll keep this thread updated to hopefully help others in future.
Latest post on 15 September 2013 - 15:40
A good source of information for DLs and other things is here on this site under the looking for answers box to the right of this screen. You are only allowed to drive with your home country license for 7 days. If you have an accident after that time it will probably invalidate the car insurance.
Latest post on 15 September 2013 - 15:27
Look at it as a challenge. I used to let these things bother me, but I have somehow become a more patient and understanding person since moving here. They are to be expected (always), so don't act surprised.. Give yourself plenty of time to complete tasks and never wait until the last minute, because something will come up for sure :) Also, never take the answers they give you as the final one. As ten people and take the average answer to get the most accurate one hehe. To be honest the picture with glasses is ridiculous, and I would have not accepted her answer. It kind of becomes a game where you have to convince them that there are other options or ways of going about things. They will always tell you "no" but you have to convince them otherwise.
Latest post on 15 September 2013 - 13:22
Aaaahhh the 'Doha runaround' :-) to be honest we have had it with everything we have had to do here. So with that in mind I am still driving around on my UK license as the thought of one more ministry or government office makes me give up the will to live! Why is there always something not on the list but is needed when you get there?? I have become paranoid that they do it on purpose :-)) but guess I will have to venture up there soon and sit and wait for hours just to be told to go back with something new that's suddenly needed, deep joy!
Latest post on 15 September 2013 - 13:20
Hi verycherry, I had to do this licence exchange a couple of weeks ago and I had to get my eye test in the old traffic building across the road from the new one. Are they not doing this anymore? or did they not even give you this option? There was also a small shop across the road from the old traffic department that took the pictures and filled out my form in Arabic. I know things can change in Doha from one day to the next but this was just a couple of weeks ago. Let me know if I can help with further directions or anything Jennifer