Why hasn't... | ExpatWoman.com

Why hasn't...

Latest post on 18 September 2013 - 10:06

....the job market picked up yet?? I am seeing absolutely no new jobs on Gulftalent and Monstergulf on a daily basis...am in dispare!

Latest post on 19 September 2013 - 11:00
hey tatters! do you want to discuss our job situation? or maybe go to some networking sessions together? let me know... Yea sound good Burrito
Latest post on 19 September 2013 - 11:00
Have you joined your home countries Business Councils? Its a great way to network. There is an inter council networking event event hosted by the American Business Council Dubai and the Netherlands Business Council on Sunday 22nd September,18.30 - 21.00 at JW Marriott Marquis Ok sounds good may give that a try
Latest post on 19 September 2013 - 10:59
Because, Izzy, I am bored. My brain is bored. I feel like it drank a can of Red Bull then was put in a brown shoe box. And I need a destination to be going when I get a sausage mcmuffin, home is not that destination.that, and because, since the recession, I don't judge anything as forever. So while I'm comfortable today, tomorrow is in God's hands, and He loves a good curve ball :) <em>edited by EmmaRitz on 19/09/2013</em>
Latest post on 19 September 2013 - 10:58
Yours are great, admin. But I've never heard back from one. Must just be me - unemployable. Am happy I don't NEED a job. I'd be so depressed if I did. why apply if you don't need a job? Agreed - there are some great jobs on EW but like Emmaritz have only heard back from 2 or 3 when I have applied for loads!!! :(
Latest post on 19 September 2013 - 10:57
Have you joined your home countries Business Councils? Its a great way to network. There is an inter council networking event event hosted by the American Business Council Dubai and the Netherlands Business Council on Sunday 22nd September,18.30 - 21.00 at JW Marriott Marquis
Latest post on 19 September 2013 - 10:54
Yours are great, admin. But I've never heard back from one. Must just be me - unemployable. Am happy I don't NEED a job. I'd be so depressed if I did. why apply if you don't need a job?
Latest post on 19 September 2013 - 10:53
Yours are great, admin. But I've never heard back from one. Must just be me - unemployable. Am happy I don't NEED a job. I'd be so depressed if I did. You are not the only one! I applied for the job via there, made for me - then had to follow up direct with someone I knew through some else to see why I hadn't heard anything, to then be told that they had stopped all recruitment - fan blooming tastic
Latest post on 19 September 2013 - 10:46
apparently 3000 jobs on 7days.com ... With 708'000 applicants :-P
Latest post on 19 September 2013 - 10:44
Yours are great, admin. But I've never heard back from one. Must just be me - unemployable. Am happy I don't NEED a job. I'd be so depressed if I did.
Latest post on 19 September 2013 - 10:33
Have you tried our Job Adverts section? They are adverts placed on here by companies looking for the demographic of our readers... lots on there and we add new ones as they come in... so worth checking every day! There's 7 pages of job ads on there at the moment with some really great roles! http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_jobs.aspx Good luck with your job hunts!
Latest post on 19 September 2013 - 10:31
hey tatters! do you want to discuss our job situation? or maybe go to some networking sessions together? let me know...
Latest post on 19 September 2013 - 10:28
hello ladies! I have been applying for quite some time now but no luck so far. I have some marketing experience (three years) and would be very grateful if someone could help me understand how to go about looking for a job here in dubai. I have been applying through job portals, LinkedIn and on company websites but nothing so far! TIA! Same here Burrito - I have been applying through different portals but sometimes I hear nothing then sometimes I get an email to say no successful...am getting quite dispondent about it all but trying to keep my confidence up
Latest post on 18 September 2013 - 15:12
apparently 3000 jobs on 7days.com
Latest post on 18 September 2013 - 14:53
hello ladies! I have been applying for quite some time now but no luck so far. I have some marketing experience (three years) and would be very grateful if someone could help me understand how to go about looking for a job here in dubai. I have been applying through job portals, LinkedIn and on company websites but nothing so far! TIA! Same here Burrito - I have been applying through different portals but sometimes I hear nothing then sometimes I get an email to say no successful...am getting quite dispondent about it all but trying to keep my confidence up
Latest post on 18 September 2013 - 14:52
A different perspective, as an employer I find it very difficult to recruit in Dubai. I find a lot of potential employees come for interviews totally unprepared and can not even answer basic questions about their experience, they are either lacking in confidence or far too confident and make demands as to working hours, pre booked holidays etc. It is almost as though they do not want a job! The last few employees I have hired have come through recommendations rather than from recruitment agencies, so I would suggest that networking is key to find a position here. Also polish your CV to perfection, make it meaningful and relevant and absolutely not a single spelling mistake. I 100% agree with this. I am also in HR and have now given up on using local agencies to recruit. All my successful hires have been recommendations. It's much safer and cheaper
Latest post on 18 September 2013 - 14:39
hello ladies! I have been applying for quite some time now but no luck so far. I have some marketing experience (three years) and would be very grateful if someone could help me understand how to go about looking for a job here in dubai. I have been applying through job portals, LinkedIn and on company websites but nothing so far! TIA!
Latest post on 18 September 2013 - 14:00
A different perspective, as an employer I find it very difficult to recruit in Dubai. I find a lot of potential employees come for interviews totally unprepared and can not even answer basic questions about their experience, they are either lacking in confidence or far too confident and make demands as to working hours, pre booked holidays etc. It is almost as though they do not want a job! The last few employees I have hired have come through recommendations rather than from recruitment agencies, so I would suggest that networking is key to find a position here. Also polish your CV to perfection, make it meaningful and relevant and absolutely not a single spelling mistake.
Latest post on 18 September 2013 - 11:44
The problem with the uni ones is that it is a whole lot of people wanting to network, but no one to network with. Equally non powerful people thinking they will meet powerful people. You're better off keeping your eyes on the exhibition centre, then when an event is hosted, turn up, pretend you're there for the event but worm your way into any events attached to it (the people working the event are equally powerless in most cases). Or, sit at DIFC restaurants everyday, around 2, and try make some friends. I agree to disagree :-) I've met a radio DJ, a local lady who is one of the most powerful women in the Arab world, etc...it depends on your own networking skills too I guess who you end up meeting. Yes, some events are a hit and miss but still better than sitting at home waiting for a job to pop up. when you say you've met these people, in what capacity exactly ? what are they doing there ? who is a radio DJ able to employ ? seems this is one of the things I dislike about Dubai - the endless "networking" (people with delusions of grandeur sweet-talking other equally deluded people) with only their own agenda in mind...all this self-promotion is so tiresome... in my opinion... Whether you like it or not Dubai IS a place where networking will get you further than a solid CV these days...sadly I know it all too well....I'm not here to explain myself to anyone, I met them in the capacity I wanted to meet them in, I was not searching for a job at the time, I simply went to meet new people. It worked for me. It might not work for everyone. If you don't have your own agenda in mind and don't self-promote please tell me who will get you a job in this competitive market? I'm not looking for a job. Good for you, others are not so lucky.
Latest post on 18 September 2013 - 11:37
The problem with the uni ones is that it is a whole lot of people wanting to network, but no one to network with. Equally non powerful people thinking they will meet powerful people. You're better off keeping your eyes on the exhibition centre, then when an event is hosted, turn up, pretend you're there for the event but worm your way into any events attached to it (the people working the event are equally powerless in most cases). Or, sit at DIFC restaurants everyday, around 2, and try make some friends. I agree to disagree :-) I've met a radio DJ, a local lady who is one of the most powerful women in the Arab world, etc...it depends on your own networking skills too I guess who you end up meeting. Yes, some events are a hit and miss but still better than sitting at home waiting for a job to pop up. when you say you've met these people, in what capacity exactly ? what are they doing there ? who is a radio DJ able to employ ? seems this is one of the things I dislike about Dubai - the endless "networking" (people with delusions of grandeur sweet-talking other equally deluded people) with only their own agenda in mind...all this self-promotion is so tiresome... in my opinion... Whether you like it or not Dubai IS a place where networking will get you further than a solid CV these days...sadly I know it all too well....I'm not here to explain myself to anyone, I met them in the capacity I wanted to meet them in, I was not searching for a job at the time, I simply went to meet new people. It worked for me. It might not work for everyone. If you don't have your own agenda in mind and don't self-promote please tell me who will get you a job in this competitive market? I'm not looking for a job.
Latest post on 18 September 2013 - 11:29
The problem with the uni ones is that it is a whole lot of people wanting to network, but no one to network with. Equally non powerful people thinking they will meet powerful people. You're better off keeping your eyes on the exhibition centre, then when an event is hosted, turn up, pretend you're there for the event but worm your way into any events attached to it (the people working the event are equally powerless in most cases). Or, sit at DIFC restaurants everyday, around 2, and try make some friends. I agree to disagree :-) I've met a radio DJ, a local lady who is one of the most powerful women in the Arab world, etc...it depends on your own networking skills too I guess who you end up meeting. Yes, some events are a hit and miss but still better than sitting at home waiting for a job to pop up. when you say you've met these people, in what capacity exactly ? what are they doing there ? who is a radio DJ able to employ ? seems this is one of the things I dislike about Dubai - the endless "networking" (people with delusions of grandeur sweet-talking other equally deluded people) with only their own agenda in mind...all this self-promotion is so tiresome... in my opinion... Whether you like it or not Dubai IS a place where networking will get you further than a solid CV these days...sadly I know it all too well....I'm not here to explain myself to anyone, I met them in the capacity I wanted to meet them in, I was not searching for a job at the time, I simply went to meet new people. It worked for me. It might not work for everyone. If you don't have your own agenda in mind and don't self-promote please tell me who will get you a job in this competitive market?
Latest post on 18 September 2013 - 11:04
The problem with the uni ones is that it is a whole lot of people wanting to network, but no one to network with. Equally non powerful people thinking they will meet powerful people. You're better off keeping your eyes on the exhibition centre, then when an event is hosted, turn up, pretend you're there for the event but worm your way into any events attached to it (the people working the event are equally powerless in most cases). Or, sit at DIFC restaurants everyday, around 2, and try make some friends. I agree to disagree :-) I've met a radio DJ, a local lady who is one of the most powerful women in the Arab world, etc...it depends on your own networking skills too I guess who you end up meeting. Yes, some events are a hit and miss but still better than sitting at home waiting for a job to pop up. when you say you've met these people, in what capacity exactly ? what are they doing there ? who is a radio DJ able to employ ? seems this is one of the things I dislike about Dubai - the endless "networking" (people with delusions of grandeur sweet-talking other equally deluded people) with only their own agenda in mind...all this self-promotion is so tiresome... in my opinion... LOL! I agree...they are not interested in your qualifications and just interested in the way you look and whether you are single or young!! truly discriminating!
Latest post on 18 September 2013 - 11:02
....the job market picked up yet?? I am seeing absolutely no new jobs on Gulftalent and Monstergulf on a daily basis...am in dispare! I am really busy but all technical roles at present Need administration PA etc
Latest post on 18 September 2013 - 11:00
The problem with the uni ones is that it is a whole lot of people wanting to network, but no one to network with. Equally non powerful people thinking they will meet powerful people. You're better off keeping your eyes on the exhibition centre, then when an event is hosted, turn up, pretend you're there for the event but worm your way into any events attached to it (the people working the event are equally powerless in most cases). Or, sit at DIFC restaurants everyday, around 2, and try make some friends. I agree to disagree :-) I've met a radio DJ, a local lady who is one of the most powerful women in the Arab world, etc...it depends on your own networking skills too I guess who you end up meeting. Yes, some events are a hit and miss but still better than sitting at home waiting for a job to pop up. when you say you've met these people, in what capacity exactly ? what are they doing there ? who is a radio DJ able to employ ? seems this is one of the things I dislike about Dubai - the endless "networking" (people with delusions of grandeur sweet-talking other equally deluded people) with only their own agenda in mind...all this self-promotion is so tiresome... in my opinion...
Latest post on 18 September 2013 - 10:54
I agree that you can meet them there. But... Can you meet them in the way they want to employ you? Of do they just say 'oh, you've learnt from me, I'll be your role model'. For example, you meet the DJ, but the one who you would actually get the job with is the one behind him. But as you say, and I completely agree, hit and miss but it's better to miss than not even take sawing!
Latest post on 18 September 2013 - 10:48
The problem with the uni ones is that it is a whole lot of people wanting to network, but no one to network with. Equally non powerful people thinking they will meet powerful people. You're better off keeping your eyes on the exhibition centre, then when an event is hosted, turn up, pretend you're there for the event but worm your way into any events attached to it (the people working the event are equally powerless in most cases). Or, sit at DIFC restaurants everyday, around 2, and try make some friends. I agree to disagree :-) I've met a radio DJ, a local lady who is one of the most powerful women in the Arab world, etc...it depends on your own networking skills too I guess who you end up meeting. Yes, some events are a hit and miss but still better than sitting at home waiting for a job to pop up.
Latest post on 18 September 2013 - 10:46
....the job market picked up yet?? I am seeing absolutely no new jobs on Gulftalent and Monstergulf on a daily basis...am in dispare! I am really busy but all technical roles at present
Latest post on 18 September 2013 - 10:43
So its more networking for me! What I've learnt of lately is that quite a few Universities host networking events that are free to attend! I went to one in Madinat organised by Murdoch University, yes, they tried to sell Masters degrees, etc...BUT I've met some wonderful women there from RAK, Dubai, etc...you never know who might be able to help... Ok thanks for that will scout around for networking events
Latest post on 18 September 2013 - 10:43
The problem with the uni ones is that it is a whole lot of people wanting to network, but no one to network with. Equally non powerful people thinking they will meet powerful people. You're better off keeping your eyes on the exhibition centre, then when an event is hosted, turn up, pretend you're there for the event but worm your way into any events attached to it (the people working the event are equally powerless in most cases). Or, sit at DIFC restaurants everyday, around 2, and try make some friends.
Latest post on 18 September 2013 - 10:42
It's not what you know but WHO you know... Yes I am in agreement with that.. Ditto!
Latest post on 18 September 2013 - 10:33
So its more networking for me! What I've learnt of lately is that quite a few Universities host networking events that are free to attend! I went to one in Madinat organised by Murdoch University, yes, they tried to sell Masters degrees, etc...BUT I've met some wonderful women there from RAK, Dubai, etc...you never know who might be able to help...

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY